Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 04:18 PM

841 posts, read 1,432,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
When has Wall St. EVER kept their word?

I thought one of the slogans for the Occupiers is "Corporations are not people!"

So Wall Street is?

Quote:
whatever...

WALL ST, that isn't a person or a homogenous entity... is said to lose 10,000 jobs.

Wall ST, that isn't a person or a homogenous entity... cannot be trusted to keep it's word when it comes to job losses or bonus reductions.
Man you've really got a burr under your saddle, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 04:52 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,646,926 times
Not at all... I just think it's a little juvenile to break down what Wall St is or isn't depending on who uses the term.

When The Wall St journal says "next year" the bonuses will be lower and 10,000 jobs will be lost that's as good a time as any to remind people what Wall St is and isn't... or does the reminder only apply when someone isn't a fan of Wall St.?

Old 10-11-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Not at all... I just think it's a little juvenile to break down what Wall St is or isn't depending on who uses the term.

When The Wall St journal says "next year" the bonuses will be lower and 10,000 jobs will be lost that's as good a time as any to remind people what Wall St is and isn't... or does the reminder only apply when someone isn't a fan of Wall St.?
Wait... in the former you said it is juvenile to break down what Wall St is or isn't, then in the latter you said this is a good time as any to remind people what Wall St is and isn't by your definition.

Seems contradictory.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
Wait... in the former you said it is juvenile to break down what Wall St is or isn't, then in the latter you said this is a good time as any to remind people what Wall St is and isn't by your definition.

Seems contradictory.
The original poster who went into the definition of Wall St should have used it on the comment with the link about Wall St losing jobs.

I think everyone knows who we are referring to when we talk abot Wall St. They question of who it is or what it isn't doesn't change a thing. If it's Wall St. when they are saying jobs will be lost, it's Wall St when I say their words can't be trusted.

I guess my question to you is who is wall st when they say jobs are going to be lost and bonuses cut? Whoever or whatever was quoted saying this is the same entity I said can't be trusted to follow through on their word.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
The original poster who went into the definition of Wall St should have used it on the comment with the link about Wall St losing jobs.

I think everyone knows who we are referring to when we talk abot Wall St. They question of who it is or what it isn't doesn't change a thing. If it's Wall St. when they are saying jobs will be lost, it's Wall St when I say their words can't be trusted.

I guess my question to you is who is wall st when they say jobs are going to be lost and bonuses cut? Whoever or whatever was quoted saying this is the same entity I said can't be trusted to follow through on their word.
Hey I posted a news report from CNN to add to the discussion. As far as I know the source is no more or less trustworthy than someone who claims they know what the protestors specifically want. (we need a should shrug smiley).

Old 10-11-2011, 07:48 PM

And, to continue my theme that the protestors who are concerned about greed and "bought votes" need to be marching on DC and DC alone:

From ABC News: Obama Jobs Council Stacked With Democratic Donors - ABC News

To quote the story:

"The group of private-sector business leaders advising President Obama on how to create jobs and grow the economy is full of deep-pocket Democratic donors and high-profile financiers of Obama’s re-election campaign, a review of Federal Election Commission data shows. At least 10 members of the Obama-appointed Council on Jobs and Competitiveness gave the legal maximum contribution — $4,600 — to help get Obama elected in 2008, and they continue to write checks for the president in 2012. Several also serve as Obama campaign bundlers, top fundraisers who collect millions of dollars from their networks of well-to-do colleagues and friends to aid his re-election bid."

And yet the protestors are angry at the "Fat Cats" who have the resources to donate instead of the politicians who take the donations and give out favors like this. Sure many politicians are supporting the protestors but that's because it keeps them distracted. It's the politicians' equivalent of pointing and shouting, "Hey! Look over there!" and then taking more money and corruption while you're chasing the car of some CEO.

And they're laughing at you because you're falling for it.

Last edited by lowercountry; 10-11-2011 at 08:02 PM..

Old 10-12-2011, 07:08 AM

You can scream and shout all you want at Washington but you can't change anything until there is an election. I'm sure OW's plan on making their voices heard in Washington.. well, they should if they are serious about changing things.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
You can scream and shout all you want at Washington but you can't change anything until there is an election. I'm sure OW's plan on making their voices heard in Washington.. well, they should if they are serious about changing things.
So if you march on Wall Street they'll capitulate and stop whatever behavior you find unacceptable? Naivety.

The Observer reprinted an Op-Ed from the NY Times today that points out something interesting:

"... Take the Occupy Wall Street movement. If there is a core theme to the movement, it is that the virtuous 99 percent of society is being cheated by the richest and greediest 1 percent.
This is a theme that allows the people in the 99 percent to think very highly of themselves. All their problems are caused by the nefarious elite.

Unfortunately, almost no problem can be productively conceived in this way. A group that divides the world between the pure 99 percent and the evil 1 percent will have nothing to say about education reform, Medicare reform, tax reform, wage stagnation or polarization. They will have nothing to say about the way Americans have overconsumed and overborrowed. These are problems that implicate a much broader swath of society than the top 1 percent.

They will have no realistic proposal to reduce the debt or sustain the welfare state. Even if you tax away 50 percent of the income of those making between $1 million and $10 million, you only reduce the national debt by 1 percent, according to the Tax Foundation. If you confiscate all the income of those making more than $10 million, you reduce the debt by 2 percent.

The 99 versus 1 frame is also extremely self-limiting. If you think all problems flow from a small sliver of society, then all your solutions are going to be small, too. The policy proposals that have been floating around the Occupy Wall Street movement - a financial transfer tax, forgiveness for student loans - are marginal.

Read more: 'Occupy' and the milquetoast radicals | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/10/12/2684050/occupy-and-the-milquetoast-radicals.html#ixzz1aZeJpx58 - broken link) "

Old 10-12-2011, 07:55 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
So if you march on Wall Street they'll capitulate and stop whatever behavior you find unacceptable? Naivety.

The Observer reprinted an Op-Ed from the NY Times today that points out something interesting:

"... Take the Occupy Wall Street movement. If there is a core theme to the movement, it is that the virtuous 99 percent of society is being cheated by the richest and greediest 1 percent.
This is a theme that allows the people in the 99 percent to think very highly of themselves. All their problems are caused by the nefarious elite.

Unfortunately, almost no problem can be productively conceived in this way. A group that divides the world between the pure 99 percent and the evil 1 percent will have nothing to say about education reform, Medicare reform, tax reform, wage stagnation or polarization. They will have nothing to say about the way Americans have overconsumed and overborrowed. These are problems that implicate a much broader swath of society than the top 1 percent.

They will have no realistic proposal to reduce the debt or sustain the welfare state. Even if you tax away 50 percent of the income of those making between $1 million and $10 million, you only reduce the national debt by 1 percent, according to the Tax Foundation. If you confiscate all the income of those making more than $10 million, you reduce the debt by 2 percent.

The 99 versus 1 frame is also extremely self-limiting. If you think all problems flow from a small sliver of society, then all your solutions are going to be small, too. The policy proposals that have been floating around the Occupy Wall Street movement - a financial transfer tax, forgiveness for student loans - are marginal.

Read more: 'Occupy' and the milquetoast radicals | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/10/12/2684050/occupy-and-the-milquetoast-radicals.html#ixzz1aZeJpx58 - broken link) "
Remember back in the late 90's or so when it was almost in vogue to declare bankruptcy, to the point where the bk laws needed to be changed in order to make it more difficult?

Now I'm sure someone like Chromekitty will blame the big evil banks for forcing us to take their credit card offers, but nobody forced the ones who took them up on it to spend beyond their means.

Or buy houses they ultimately couldn't afford.

Or use their homes like ATMs

The lack of personal responsibility didn't come from the 1%.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Remember back in the late 90's or so when it was almost in vogue to declare bankruptcy, to the point where the bk laws needed to be changed in order to make it more difficult?

Now I'm sure someone like Chromekitty will blame the big evil banks for forcing us to take their credit card offers, but nobody forced the ones who took them up on it to spend beyond their means.

Or buy houses they ultimately couldn't afford.

Or use their homes like ATMs

The lack of personal responsibility didn't come from the 1%.
As I have said before in reference to all of this: We have met the enemy and it is ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte