Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 01:38 PM

462 posts, read 1,843,625 times

Advertisements

Moved here from Long Island, NY a month ago and the wife came down two months ago. We both say we will never move back. We love it here. Yes, pay is less but so far everything seems to be relative as expected. For those who dislike the summer weather, although it has gotten hot here I am more than happy to have high summer temps for warmer winter temps. I absolutely will not miss the 0, 10 , 20 degree weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 02:22 PM

101 posts, read 300,831 times
Its all relative... I lived in Gaithersburg for a little bit.... And our beltway (485) in Charlotte is nothing compared to 495. But it is mostly only 2-3 lanes each way, so traffic will get worse untill they actually plan ahead alittle.
From what I hear there are good and bad schools.... more good then bad
But like a few other people have mentioned, the people are nicer..... Its just like a job... If the people are nice, then things just become more bearable.
This has been an unbelievable summer.... but I would still take this over 10 degree winters and 2 feet of snow.
So...... ummm.... No, I have no regrets so far

Old 09-13-2007, 07:29 PM

29 posts, read 140,746 times
Default the problem with that is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
The best way to do that research is to MOVE here and stay for a year, then decide. Even being there for less than a year will help you. Just visiting isn't going to do much (if anything). We are moving from the Denver, CO area to outside of Charlotte. We just can't handle (anymore) the amount of snow that can happen here in the winter.

I dont want to sell my house up here and then move down to nc and not like it and then wanting to move back. Ive been down to visit nc a couple of times this summer, but i havent experience the winter. the parts that i visited where in chadbourn/whiteville, and earlier durham which was pretty ok. I wanted to move kind of close to the family that i have down there but no to close i dont know them, so i want to know them but i also want my space.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:31 PM

Default what is it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Moved here from Long Island, NY a month ago and the wife came down two months ago. We both say we will never move back. We love it here. Yes, pay is less but so far everything seems to be relative as expected. For those who dislike the summer weather, although it has gotten hot here I am more than happy to have high summer temps for warmer winter temps. I absolutely will not miss the 0, 10 , 20 degree weather.
what makes you love it down there and not want to move back if you dont mind me asking

Old 09-13-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
That is the problem. You will visiting there in their winter. Will you be able to handle the heat/humidity that happens there in the summer??
i have been down nc a couple of times this summer, not in charlotte but other parts

Old 09-13-2007, 08:04 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
I loathe these posts, do I like it, will I like it, what do you like, what don't you like.

I'm not singling you out, but these posts are really just feeding the trolls. You have to come down research and make a decision for yourself.
We should all get together and anytime someone asks this kind of question just have a ton of us say, "NO! YOU'LL HATE IT HERE!"

The day I let a bunch of strangers on the internet help make a life changing decision for me is the day I cut off my internet connection.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:28 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
True. I will try to be more objective and say that "Charlotte has the worst public schools out of the 5 towns/cities I have lived in previously" Not all of the CMS schools are bad, but, most of them seem to have more problems other public schools which I have seen (granted thats not many).

As a side note, anyone see the article about the 4th grader who brought a gun to school here in Charlotte?
Charlotte.com : Charlotte news, events, Panthers, Bobcats, jobs, cars, homes (http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/275039.html - broken link)
And did you notice that the gun was found before he did anything with it. CMS must be doing something right.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:37 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYblkqueen View Post
Terry you make a good point. I also like that it's with in a great get away range from other places. 3 hours from Atlanta, I think about 4 hours from Tenn. Mountains, not far from the local mountain area. 3 hours from myrtle beach. Thou I'm not a big fan of Myrtle beach. It's something to do. I'm not big on driving any place longer than 4 hours. So anything further you'll have to ask someone else.

I love Myrtle Beach

Old 09-13-2007, 08:56 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
WE are down here from NJ but lived in Brooklyn/Staten Island all our lives, with that we have been here now almost 4 months now and love it...We will never go back to NJ...I love the schools, I love my development, love the weather however it has been a bit hot, but it is better than it being cold..I love the people here, and it just feels like home

we are going back to jersey for thanksgiving and IM so dreading it...

Old 09-14-2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
We should all get together and anytime someone asks this kind of question just have a ton of us say, "NO! YOU'LL HATE IT HERE!"

The day I let a bunch of strangers on the internet help make a life changing decision for me is the day I cut off my internet connection.
I am not making my decision based on what everyone/anyone says. i am my own person and i know how to make my own decision, if you noticed i said that i wanted feedback, i want to know how others feel about living in nc, what are the pros and cons, it's all about research........people might know information that i have no idea of / things i might not find out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte