Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 12:40 PM

620 posts, read 2,117,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
As far as I-277, a discussion came up in the last two years or so about those lights (and that is a bad area for lighting) and the estimate was $6 Million to repairs the wires in those lights. So, the Mayor suggested solar lights, wh/ would cost $1 Million. The state was responsible for repairing those lights, so that is why they never were repaired.

I tried to find out if the state approved the $1 M for the solar lights or if the city just bit the bullet and bought them . . . but so far, have not found a link to a story about that situation.

As you can see, street lights are not only expensive, on some roads, it is a state maintenance problem and if the state won't allocate the funds, we don't get the lights.

ETA: video on the solar project:

Solar Lighting in Charlotte NC - AOL Video
Well, NCDOT was finally getting around to fixing the lights on 77 and 85. There was that one section between the Brookshire and 85 where copper thieves kept stealing the wiring. Since NCDOT isn't too smart, they kept replacing the wiring (about 3 times) and each time the wiring was stolen. Now they have no money to fix those lights nor do they have money to fix the lights on 85. However, they did fix the lights on 77 from 485 to the Brookshire Freeway. There was an article recently that said if there are any lights out on that stretch they are still working on them (timers, etc). I-277 (Brookshire stretch) is being fixed and should be complete by June. So, they are working on fixing them. I am just angry that they kept wasting money replacing the wiring that was repeatedly stolen when they could of used that money on other roads, like 85, until the thieves were caught. Now, they have no money left and we have to keep waiting until who knows when.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Hey I know what you're going through. I used to live in FLA and all I here is whiny Northerners. BUT it's not like I was calling Charlotte hell, it's a good city and very afordable GRANTED there needs to be changes. I agree no city is perfect, and ya'll didnt ask any of us to come, and would probably be better off without us non-natives. I was sayin what I said in reference to northerners moving to FLA then complaining and moving to CLT and then complaining again, and was trying to inform them that it's not PERFECT here either so they dont get there hopes up and start there typical complaining again (I BARELY MAKE SENSE) sorry. I hope I made sense lol. Charlotte is a GROWING city and home prices will continue to rise (thanks to us non-natives) I moved from FLA then TX then here so I dont really know where I feal at home at, im only 19 so I have no ideal where I want to settle. (sorry for tellin my life story lol)
This whole native vs. non-native argument needs to stop. This is the United States of America and we are all allowed to move anywhere we please (in some cases, people have to go with their jobs and don't have a choice) and make a living for ourselves. That is one of the things that makes this country so great. No matter how long your family has lived in one particular place, unless you are a Native American, your roots come from Europe.

If southerners were all moving up North then they would be just as whiny. I have met southerners who moved up North and they complained about things too. People miss certain things they are used to. The reason why northerners are singled out is because more people are moving south than north. That is just the way our country's migration pattern has been for many years. When most people came to this country, they came up North somewhere then dispersed south and west. Why do you think NYC is so big? It was and still is the gateway to the "New World".

Old 01-18-2009, 01:08 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
This whole native vs. non-native argument needs to stop. This is the United States of America and we are all allowed to move anywhere we please (in some cases, people have to go with their jobs and don't have a choice) and make a living for ourselves. That is one of the things that makes this country so great. No matter how long your family has lived in one particular place, unless you are a Native American, your roots come from Europe.

If southerners were all moving up North then they would be just as whiny. I have met southerners who moved up North and they complained about things too. People miss certain things they are used to. The reason why northerners are singled out is because more people are moving south than north. That is just the way our country's migration pattern has been for many years. When most people came to this country, they came up North somewhere then dispersed south and west. Why do you think NYC is so big? It was and still is the gateway to the "New World".
Sorry. But okay then imagined if I went to NY and started complaining, they would get just as mad if not angrier then us. It's happened before when I said one negative thing about NYC to a NY'ER and they snapped. Why is it that us southerners cant be just as prideful as a new yorker. Whenever a Texan has pride people always come down on them, but for a new yorker it's a different story. Im not saing all northerners are terrible people, BUT you cant deny that alot of tend to complain alot about things down here. But I agree us southerners would do the same thing if we all moved up there, BUT what would a new yorker do if we did that? They would do the same thing we are doing now, in defendidng where they are from. Not much different from us.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:12 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
This whole native vs. non-native argument needs to stop. If southerners were all moving up North then they would be just as whiny.
Somewhat agree.
But you would never catch me moving up North.
And if I did my handle would not be ncxmull.
I would embrace where I moved to and not hold onto the past.
Assimilation is the key to local acceptance.

Last edited by mullman; 01-18-2009 at 01:24 PM..

Old 01-18-2009, 01:13 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Well, I was wise enuff to keep my mouth shut any time I moved to a new place. It is insulting to disparage a new city you CHOSE to move to. No one wants to hear it! I don't care where you live and where you are from! Plus, so many of the things people complain about - no one can do a thing about anyway, so . . . why look like a malcontent and run things down. It sure doesn't gain you friends - people avoid malcontents.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:19 PM

701 posts, read 1,082,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It is not that you can't say "one negative thing" on this forum!!! I don't think newcomers get it!!!!

We natives have been living here and putting up w/ all kinds of things for decades. It is what it is. We adapt and make the best of things. It is just very aggravating to hear newcomers arrive and start criticizing what isn't right here, what is a problem for them, etc. Those of us who grew up here are fully aware that this is not a perfect place to live, but we did not send out engraved invites saying "This is Utopia!!! Please come to this perfect city!!!" Nope. We sure didn't. In fact, our city has more problems b/c of too many people moving here and putting a strain on the infrastructure.

So the feeling from natives is . . . we all make the best of what is here. If you don't like it - leave. People sound petty and whiny complaining about the things they miss. The natives have a list of things they would like to see improved, too! But change is slow and takes money and we fully realize that we can't have it all - WITHOUT OUR TAXES GOING UP. So we deal with it and move on.
Good Post anifani I've lived here for 34 years, it's not the same city that I grew up in...........it's nobodys fault, people move here for jobs, cheaper cost of living etc.....That's fine, my parents are not natives, they moved here for those very reasons and all those years ago (1975) people then were whinning about all the things they missed about their home town. Charlotte has grown by leaps and bounds since then and has so much more to offer but people still complain! kind of funny......in '75 you could not find a bagel to save your life!

Charlotte is a fine place to live but it is all what your looking for.......we are looking for something different now, we don't like what Charlotte has become but that is because of our ideals and expectations, not because Charlotte is a bad place. People should hear both sides and I think that it's good that people on this forum warn them that it's not a utopia. I know people that have moved here and loved it and I know people that have moved here and hated it, and either been stuck or moved back home. I don't want that to happen to anybody. For the person wanting to relocate to Charlotte, know that you'll be in good company, most of the people I know have moved here from someplace else. I know very few natives (my DH is one of them) It's good to do your research and spend some time here!!!! What is perfect for one person is horrible for someone else. (think city mouse and country mouse)

Old 01-18-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Somewhat agree.
But you would never catch me moving up North.
And if I did my handle would not be ncxmull.
I would embrace where I moved to and not hold onto the past.
Assimilation is the key to local acceptance.
So basically when somebody moves here they must completely forget where they came from? I'm not ashamed of being from "horrible" NY and nobody should have to feel that way about where they are from. I am just as proud of being from NY as I am of living in North Carolina. I think NC is a great state. Like I said before, people are going to miss certain things about where they came from. You can only assimilate to a certain extent. For instance, I'm a city person, not a country boy and nothing is going to change that. Charlotte's a city and I like it just fine. You are not going to see me go hunting, listening to country music, driving a pick-up truck, or living on a farm. However, I say please and thank you, I hold doors for people, and I watch my manners. I like fried pickles, biscuits, and even grits just as much as I enjoy some good pizza, bagels, and diner food. You need to realize that sometimes it takes people years to adapt to somewhere else. Give them a break. I never really understood why people care so much about how others live their lives (for instance, my screen name. Why should it bother anyone?). If they are a nasty, whiny person (regardless of where they are from) that's their problem not yours. To the other poster, I said nothing about southerners not being allowed to have pride.

Last edited by nyxmike; 01-18-2009 at 04:25 PM..

Old 01-18-2009, 04:54 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
So basically when somebody moves here they must completely forget where they came from? I'm not ashamed of being from "horrible" NY and nobody should have to feel that way about where they are from. I am just as proud of being from NY as I am of living in North Carolina. I think NC is a great state. Like I said before, people are going to miss certain things about where they came from. You can only assimilate to a certain extent. For instance, I'm a city person, not a country boy and nothing is going to change that. Charlotte's a city and I like it just fine. You are not going to see me go hunting, listening to country music, driving a pick-up truck, or living on a farm. However, I say please and thank you, I hold doors for people, and I watch my manners. I like fried pickles, biscuits, and even grits just as much as I enjoy some good pizza, bagels, and diner food. You need to realize that sometimes it takes people years to adapt to somewhere else. Give them a break. I never really understood why people care so much about how others live their lives (for instance, my screen name. Why should it bother anyone?). If they are a nasty, whiny person (regardless of where they are from) that's their problem not yours. To the other poster, I said nothing about southerners not being allowed to have pride.
I wasnt talking about YOU in paritcular, I was talking about MOST that I come into contact with on a daily basis. They have this im superior to you im from NYC attitude. Theres nothing wrong with being a proud New Yorker, BUT when you think that everything is owed to based on that one FACT, then you have a problem. And once again im not talking about YOU I dont know you. You could be a HUMBLE person for all I know (more humble then me even). But, I could give countless examples of people that I know from NYC portraying that im tougher than you, im from this hood im from here there or whatever attitude BUT, it would be pointless and a waste of time since you dont know them. I agree there are alot of things in CLT that need to be fixed and it's not just non-natives complaining. But hey, no city is perfect none.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:01 PM

830 posts, read 1,529,664 times
Here's a novel idea...instead of the attitude being "if you don't like it, leave", how about it being "if you don't like it, try to make it better" I know a lot of people, native and non-native, who every day try to make Charlotte a better place...through their businesses, neighborhood associations, getting involved in schools, government, etc.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:28 PM

110 posts, read 394,160 times
Relocation is tough emotionally. I moved from NJ to NC over two years ago. When I first got here, there were days I HATED it here in NC and other days that I LOVED it. I had some (very) severe bouts with homesickness and cursed the day that I moved here. The pattern to adjusting is not an exact science. Now, I'm back in NC after doing a small stint in NJ and I LOVE it here. I don't have any homesickness because this IS my home now. When I was back in NJ, I missed all the places and comforts that I had become accustomed to here in NC. It was a slow and painful adjustment for me (sometimes I think I made it more painful than it needed to be), but I adjusted. I have close friends and people and places I've truly bonded with. I consider it a life experience. Not always pleasant, not always pretty, but an experience nevertheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte