Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 11:02 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

Funny story..I recently went to DC for a weekend and fell in love with the hustle and bustle... but one day later I was ready to go... up North (NE specifically) I think complaining and arguing are celebrated. Especially in places like Philly... they love to complain. It makes them feel alive.

When a northerner stops complaining and remains silent for 5 minutes....that's when you know they officially don't like Charlotte.

I kid, I kid...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 11:21 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,500,510 times
my reason for being here was a job offer. I hope that lives up to everyones expectations of why some northerners move to CLT.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:24 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
The folks I know who have moved here from the NE are overall very pleased with their move. Some have come to retire; some wanted to raise their children in an area that would allow them to have a nicer home (newer, larger) than where they had lived; some wanted "out of the rat race."

Then there are those who moved here with jobs.

Of course Charlotte is not going to be everything to everyone. I certainly have things I wish were here or were closer by. But overall, the folks I know who have moved here are pleased with their decisions. They were not unrealistic about what to expect. Most had done their research. They worked hard to find the right area that would be most compatible with their family's needs.

Of course there are always things that can improve and I think it is great that we have people who have moved in and perhaps DO have a "better idea" about new directions for their communities.

Also, newcomers have brought energy and excitement to many of the organizations here. Most folks want to come and fit in and find a niche where they can contribute.

I would say the region has been strengthened and is a better place in general b/c of the folks who have moved here from "elsewhere." And, I would say that overall, I don't hear that many complaints. THere will always be things people miss from their former residences, of course! But most make adjustments, find new things, and make trips occasionally back to see friends/family and enjoy whatever it was they missed once they moved here.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:25 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
my reason for being here was a job offer.
Coincidentally, although I was born in Charlotte, that is the EXACT reason I live in Charlotte!

Old 10-19-2012, 01:01 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Many people assume that because someone is from the northeast, they are from some big, busy city. Fact is, the only cities in the northeast larger than Charlotte are D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia, NYC, and Boston. If they are not from these places they will see Charlotte as a big, busy city with lots of things to do. Additionally, D.C. isn't really the northeast.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:08 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
'Cause it's cold up there! And we like nothing better than to come somewhere and tell the locals how everything is wrong there. It's the best part of our day.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:43 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
Many people assume that because someone is from the northeast, they are from some big, busy city. Fact is, the only cities in the northeast larger than Charlotte are D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia, NYC, and Boston. If they are not from these places they will see Charlotte as a big, busy city with lots of things to do. Additionally, D.C. isn't really the northeast.

I'm here from Buffalo, NY. Charlotte is definitely bigger, in terms of both poulation and land size, but I think part of the appeal for me is that the quality of life here is very similar to Buffalo.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:07 PM

309 posts, read 765,696 times
as an ex-philly person, i feel compelled to complain about us complaining!

j/k

Old 10-19-2012, 03:43 PM

219 posts, read 455,227 times
Because Charlotte is becoming a fast growing financial center next to New York, lots of people come down here from jobs and it doesn't hurt that the area is nice..

Old 10-19-2012, 03:51 PM

162 posts, read 240,001 times
Who cares if Northerners complain about Charlotte. Is that a personal affront to you? Last time I checked there is a right to free speech in the United States, Charlotte is located in the United States, am I correct? I lived in many cities, I think Charlotte is ok, but I find the locals are very whiny about people who have a bad thing or two to say about this city. So you were born here-who cares! People who come here to live from other parts of the country may find that Charlotte does not offer as much as cities they have had prior experience living in, that is their opinion. So according to posters if they don't love it here they should move? Give me a break. Living in NYC many people hated it others loved it, if someone said they didn't like it there nobody whines and says "why don't you go back to where you came from". Grow up Charlotteans, your city is ok, it's not UTOPIA! And stop blaming Northerners for everything from a lack of jobs to rush hour traffic. I'm sure Northerners are part of the reason for some shiny new hospitals, restaurants, roadways, etc., etc. etc.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte