Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:06 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about how many people who can't stand/don't like Charlotte who actually lived in the fun parts.

Are any of you naysayers from any of the following hoods? Because to me, if you live in one of these neighborhoods you really enjoy Charlotte:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 11:09 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times
Maybe some from this one too

Old 01-07-2013, 11:57 AM

527 posts, read 920,024 times
One more bash Charlotte thread!

We have lived in union City, CA , Rochester Hills , MI for many years and then moved to Charlotte about 4 years back. We are international transplants and like it here (Dont love it yet!!)!

while this city is no New yourk, London or SFO, it still is a city with lot of life and love!

I think it has good restaurants, ok nightlife , good outdoor activities, good tourist attractions around city/state and great people.

Low crime rates, low property prices and great weather help this city compared to NY or London.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:22 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I'm curious about how many people who can't stand/don't like Charlotte who actually lived in the fun parts.
I would probably add a bit more of Areas 4 & 5. It should include the parts around PR Shopping Center, and Cotswald. Real urban pioneers should also think about the section around Camp Greene back to WBTV's studios. I'd even include the area just east of Country Club and down to Arnold Drive.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:30 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
But I have lived, for decades, in the very places that I mentioned, and then chose to move to the Lake because I like to boat. I have posted several boating topics on this forum which I recommend you go and read if you think it's boring. Because I am a native and have lived in the inner ring, I have friends and relatives all over Charlotte and associations with groups which is the thing which some, are complaining are very difficult to establish in this city. You don't need to be raised here. I have also known many many others who moved here and who decided to to avoid remote suburbs in other counties who have experienced the same.

There is nothing hypocritical, as you suggest, about my post and I stand by what I said.
That aside, that's not what I was referring to - feel free to go back and re-read. The hypocrisy is you picking on specific areas and giving a pass to others with the exact same shortcomings. Forget boring, you couldn't pay me to swim or eat anything out of that lake and even at that you drive around up there and see the same exact McMansions, the same vinyl, and the same cheap white bread vanilla tract subdivisions. Like Birkdale or NorthLake are prime shopping... it's the sticks... the list goes on. I lived up there... I know. Yet for all your supposed "knowledge" to compare the Southern end yourself, I'd bet you've never stepped foot in Union county - and if you did it was 20 years ago when you lost a bet or something. You're simply using stereotypes or hiding behind the almighty "well, someone told me so..." - in the end, the very same person who wouldn't want to live in a "remote suburb" is the same person who wouldn't want to be living where you are now. Plain and simple.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-07-2013 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: OT

Old 01-07-2013, 12:55 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeykid View Post
right... I know the boat stuff - saw the pictures, i'm a regular and have maintained this one screenname since i joined. Can you say the same? That aside, that's not what i was referring to - feel free to go back and re-read. The hypocrisy is you picking on specific areas and giving a pass to others with the exact same shortcomings. Forget boring, you couldn't pay me to swim or eat anything out of that lake and even at that you drive around up there and see the same exact mcmansions, the same vinyl, and the same cheap white bread vanilla tract subdivisions. Like birkdale or northlake are prime shopping... It's the sticks... The list goes on. I lived up there... I know. Yet for all your supposed "knowledge" to compare the southern end yourself, i'd bet you've never stepped foot in union county - and if you did it was 20 years ago when you lost a bet or something. You're simply using stereotypes or hiding behind the almighty "well, someone told me so..." - in the end, the very same person who wouldn't want to live in a "remote suburb" is the same person who wouldn't want to be living where you are now. Plain and simple.
sustained!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-07-2013, 01:05 PM

194 posts, read 431,143 times
Nope we love it here, its our home now!

Old 01-07-2013, 02:03 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post

Are any of you naysayers from any of the following hoods? Because to me, if you live in one of these neighborhoods you really enjoy Charlotte:

^^^The wards especially. Here are some of what the ward folks get to enjoy.
Trademark
http://www.livinguptowncharlotte.com...trademark5.jpg

Fifth and Poplar as seen from the Vue
http://localism.com/system/s3_bucket...9722710409.jpg

Uptown seen from Avenue condo
http://www.charlottemetroliving.com/...2-1024x680.jpg

^^^"Boring" is NOT the word I would use to describe the scenes from these living room windows. FWIW, the pictures don't do these places justice at all. When you tour a rental (like I have) in person, you really get that feeling of being in a MUCH larger city than Charlotte really is. I could easily "get lost" in my little uptown (and surrounding area's) bubble and never set foot into 80% of the rest of Charlotte ever again.

There's PLENTY of properties that I could name between uptown, South End, Dilworth; but why bother? I'm just glad that the few negative types here on city-data don't represent the central Charlotte evolution that is taking place in real life. The truth is that people are flocking into central Charlotte by the thousands. Back in 2000, South End (really there was no such place back then) and uptown combined had a population of 7,000 or so. Today, both areas combine for nearly 25,000 residents (a growth rate MUCH higher than the city of Charlotte itself). I tend to believe that the 25,000 resident mark for both is accurate because uptown has a Harris Teeter and South End is about to get a Publix. Supermarkets and retail tend to go for neighborhoods with at least 10k-15k residents. Two supermarkets between uptown and South End would suggest that both areas are getting closer to 30k combined.

The effort to build a Walgreens in Dilworth would also suggest more central Charlotte growth. There is now a CVS at Epicentre, a CVS in 4th Ward, and a Walgreens in the Overstreet Mall near Epicentre. All current and future retail activity points to high growth within central Charlotte. Also, the fact that these drug stores are open late (2 until midnight, and 1 until 10pm) shows that uptown is evolving into more than just a glorified office park for bankers.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:23 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
You can essentially post a "Any regret about moving to ____" in any of these forums and get the typical responses. Boy, if you had nickel for the semi-annual dislike or hate moving here threads. What is amazing, you'll get the same folks chiming in to substiante their mesirable existence and pitiful life. Life is too short to dwell on what's wrong a place. It rains too much in the Pacific Northwest, it's too hot in Florida, too much snow in Buffalo, etc etc.

No matter where you are, the average life expectancy is 70+ years, so make the best of it and plans to move on to new place more suitable for career and lifestyle if a certain place isn't working. And stop bashing people because they enjoy this "cliquish", "character-less", "soul-less", "chain-ridden" hell hole. If I had not lived in many other cities/states around the country, I might believe some of those great tales of fiction about the hype somewhere else.

Some people will regret moving certain places because they simply miss home, didn't like the weather, too much or too little traffic, diversity, nightlife etc...but again, fill in the _____ city and you get the same responses on any forum.

I for one, believe intelligent people make rational decisions after doing plenty of homework. For the most part, I don't think a majority of people are getting conned into believing Charlotte has Manhattan culture/nightlife, Chicago magnificent-mile shopping, Las Vegas entertainment, DC history, etc. with a mid-size southern sunbelt city cost of living index.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:25 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,899,683 times
[quote=MikeyKid;27662688]Rigyou drive around up there and see the same exact McMansions, the same vinyl, and the same cheap white bread vanilla tract subdivisions. Like Birkdale or NorthLake are prime shopping... it's the sticks... the list goes on. I lived up there... I know.quote]

No vinyl, cheap white bread vanilla tract subdivisions in Cornelius whatever it means. Are you sure you are thinking about Lake Norman. Sticks? LOL!! What is wrong with Northlake? It is a shopping center. Nobody said it was Rodeo Drive. And, it is O.K., not wonderful but as a minimum, average. I have met many, many northerners from Boston and other large cities that absolutely love this area. Sorry, but you are hugely on your own in your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte