Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 05:42 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barфsa View Post
Well.... US Airways says it needs this merger to effectively survive and compete against the larger airlines, and to receive new investment for competitive products & services.
Well, haven't they been propped up enough by the feds?...white collar welfare at it's finest. Anyway, American is the airline in more serious financial trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 02:41 AM

279 posts, read 448,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Well, haven't they been propped up enough by the feds?...white collar welfare at it's finest. Anyway, American is the airline in more serious financial trouble.
I've said I don't know if this is good or bad for the city. I have no idea what this has to do with that.

But you are correct, the Obama administration has had a very dismal track record when it comes to their centralized planning over American businesses. Design Line, the local bus company where Obama came to town to hand them tax money and where Foxx is employed, started permanent layoffs this week. Based on that alone, I tend to believe US Airways will be worse off when it's over and this won't be good for Charlotte's 3rd largest employer.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:08 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barфsa View Post
I've said I don't know if this is good or bad for the city. I have no idea what this has to do with that.

But you are correct, the Obama administration has had a very dismal track record when it comes to their centralized planning over American businesses. Design Line, the local bus company where Obama came to town to hand them tax money and where Foxx is employed, started permanent layoffs this week. Based on that alone, I tend to believe US Airways will be worse off when it's over and this won't be good for Charlotte's 3rd largest employer.
Lol, sure the great recession is Obama's fault...feel better. Nobody is better at white collar welfare than the GOP and their track record of failures and cronyism is one of the most dismal in American history.

Realistically, Charlotte doesn't have a business case to support an airport hub based on O/D traffic alone. It has nothing to do with Obama but just plain old econ 101. It's been fortunate that Charlotte was able to secure an airlines that could geographical compete with connections out of Atlanta (Delta). Having US Airways as a hub is great for direct flights, associated jobs and exposure. However, due to lack of competition at the airport, ticket prices are comparably higher than RDU, etc. In contrast Atlanta can support a hub and has a competitive presence of other airlines to temper ticket prices.

Losing Charlotte's airport hub status might be a blow to ego, reduce the number of direct flights and have some impact on local employment with job relos. However, other airlines will fill those gate slots, drive down ticket prices and replace some of the workforce. In other words, the free market will prevail and move right along. RDU and Nashville both lost their American hubs in the 1990s...they've seemed to manage.

Because of Foxx I think his influence (indirect and so-called hands-off with respect to all things Charlotte) alone in DC will make it difficult to alter the current structure and operations at the Charlotte airport for the near term.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 08-14-2013 at 04:20 AM..

Old 08-14-2013, 06:45 AM

279 posts, read 448,016 times
Quote:
In other words, the free market will prevail and move right along. RDU and Nashville both lost their American hubs in the 1990s...they've seemed to manage.
The Free Market is prevented from doing it's job by presidential civil lawsuits. Fail. LOL

On the second point, RDU & Nashville did move on after 10s of 1000s of job losses. Same for Pittsburgh. I don't think anyone will agree with you that similar job losses in Charlotte are good for the city. It's nonsense.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:00 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Lol, sure the great recession is Obama's fault...feel better. Nobody is better at white collar welfare than the GOP and their track record of failures and cronyism is one of the most dismal in American history.

Realistically, Charlotte doesn't have a business case to support an airport hub based on O/D traffic alone. It has nothing to do with Obama but just plain old econ 101. It's been fortunate that Charlotte was able to secure an airlines that could geographical compete with connections out of Atlanta (Delta). Having US Airways as a hub is great for direct flights, associated jobs and exposure. However, due to lack of competition at the airport, ticket prices are comparably higher than RDU, etc. In contrast Atlanta can support a hub and has a competitive presence of other airlines to temper ticket prices.

Losing Charlotte's airport hub status might be a blow to ego, reduce the number of direct flights and have some impact on local employment with job relos. However, other airlines will fill those gate slots, drive down ticket prices and replace some of the workforce. In other words, the free market will prevail and move right along. RDU and Nashville both lost their American hubs in the 1990s...they've seemed to manage.

Because of Foxx I think his influence (indirect and so-called hands-off with respect to all things Charlotte) alone in DC will make it difficult to alter the current structure and operations at the Charlotte airport for the near term.
Losing the hub will hurt the ego and much more.... the last thing this city needs is an airport that looks like Pittsburgh International. I agree on the prices, not sure why Charlotte is so expensive given it's hub status.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:01 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Of course the US Airways CEO pushes this since he was supposed to take over the new AA. However they made good profits in the last years while others did not.
CLT is one of the best HUB (price wise) and that helps them stay competitive. I would not worry about US Airways competitiveness if they stay alone (for now).
I don't believe a word US Airways says.. AA is the airline in trouble.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:13 PM

53 posts, read 96,516 times
According to the Aug. 15, 2013 WSJ, AMR's bankruptcy documents expressly state that its post-bankruptcy business plan focuses on dramatically increasing flights out of the following hubs: NY, LA, Chicago, Dallas, and Miami.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:30 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Losing the hub will hurt the ego and much more.... the last thing this city needs is an airport that looks like Pittsburgh International. I agree on the prices, not sure why Charlotte is so expensive given it's hub status.
Pittsburgh slit their own throat

They called Airways bluff and Parker said (paraphrased) '*********'. They were losing $1 mil a day operating out of there.

That being said PIT had the same problem CLT has, limited O&D traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte