Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 07:25 AM

398 posts, read 618,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Yes, as a parent you would have the CHOICE to buy that home or not. Rather than buying the home, investing in the school system for years and then being forced out to a school 3 times further away.
Thanks Mike. Sure glad I'm not the empty nesters looking to downsize about now (or heaven forbid one get's transferred).

Old 02-20-2014, 07:34 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
the numbers spoken about in the meeting were supposedly if 100% decided to stay and be grandfathered in, so in reality while once again we are not at cap level we see no relief.

Now it was also said that in the past anywhere from 30-60% have taken the grandfathering option. But if it is more than that, we are still out of luck as the 8th grade class is substantially bigger than the graduating senior class
The eight grade class, rising freshman, will be smaller, as it won't include Weddington Chase kids. Trust me on this, you are not being grandfather into a new school. It still won't give the middle school any relief for at least a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
Help me with this please (and the following contain NO TIME CODES!)...they are talking about "Grandfathering"(GF'ing if you will) all the kids at their current schools...and we may argue cluster as well. At the same time there will be new lines drawn for the districts/clusters.
The GF'ing will only apply to sitting students..right? So am i correct in assuming that if I wanted to buy a home in a 'hood that has been redistricted, my kids would be required to attend a different high/middle/elem (perhaps) school than some of the kids in the neighborhood (the ones that have chosen to take the GF'ing)? Talk about Hunger Games....
yes, you are correct.

Quote:
It seems that if you have near 100% taking the GF route you have effectively shifted the overcrowding burden to those that orginally were not affected by the redrawn lines. The folks who are now "stuck" in overcrowded schools because they stay in the cluster. Correct?
and what about potential bottlenecks. For instance, students redistricted from Marvin to Cuthbertson decide to go ahead and move (I would, I'd rather my fifth grader get to know classmates that year than be new in sixth grade), but everybody accepts grandfathering at cuthbertson (I would, gives me a year to save up for private, wait for charter, or apply for magnet). Now you have a problem.

Quote:
Personally (and this is strictly personal), I don't understand why monies can't be found for school repairs but we can build trailer cities to placate some instead of utilizing empty seats across the system...and none of "new ideas" solves the overcrowding issues. Just my $0.02.
Amen. Yes, Frank is just evil.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:41 AM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Quote:
Help me with this please (and the following contain NO TIME CODES!)...they are talking about "Grandfathering"(GF'ing if you will) all the kids at their current schools...and we may argue cluster as well. At the same time there will be new lines drawn for the districts/clusters.
The GF'ing will only apply to sitting students..right? So am i correct in assuming that if I wanted to buy a home in a 'hood that has been redistricted, my kids would be required to attend a different high/middle/elem (perhaps) school than some of the kids in the neighborhood (the ones that have chosen to take the GF'ing)? Talk about Hunger Games....
That's one option that was thrown out there, but I think that will be tough on the numbers. My opinion - they are looking at that to say it was officially vetted.

They are also looking at variations of GF'ing: Rising 10-12, Rising 8, Rising 5. Each could be approved/declined as stand alone options when they are done with it.

If those partial GF'ing options to through, I think the acceptance rate would vary by grade. 10-12 would be high, MS would be mixed, ES would be lower. Most families with siblings (particularly at the ES level) would not want to split them up.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:14 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
That's one option that was thrown out there, but I think that will be tough on the numbers. My opinion - they are looking at that to say it was officially vetted.

They are also looking at variations of GF'ing: Rising 10-12, Rising 8, Rising 5. Each could be approved/declined as stand alone options when they are done with it.

If those partial GF'ing options to through, I think the acceptance rate would vary by grade. 10-12 would be high, MS would be mixed, ES would be lower. Most families with siblings (particularly at the ES level) would not want to split them up.
I think they are definitely going to grandfather a majority of those students, if not all. (and to clarify, the real definition of grandfathering, not the made up definition that means capping.) It makes sense all around, except in the middle school level for MR and Porter Ridge, where there would still be significant overcrowding plus caps.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
I think they are definitely going to grandfather a majority of those students, if not all. (and to clarify, the real definition of grandfathering, not the made up definition that means capping.) It makes sense all around, except in the middle school level for MR and Porter Ridge, where there would still be significant overcrowding plus caps.
Which students do you mean cc when you say majority of those students? The 10-12, 8 and 5? Or every sitting student?

Old 02-20-2014, 08:26 AM

BTW, my eyes are burning from perusing the Facebook sites this morning. I had to come back here for a sanity check.

All y'all are crazy, but at least everyone here, regardless of your perspective, can think and talk rationally to the bigger picture on any topic.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:26 AM

985 posts, read 1,900,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
I guess they would have to weigh the transitioning as an rising 7th or 8th, versus then having to be a rising freshman at the new-to-you school.

I think it is easier moving before school. The dynamic on the first day at the high school is everyone from the previous year is gathered around talking to those they did not really get to see over the summer "catching up" and the new ones are more on the side not saying much. I think it may be easier to do it earlier if in fact they will be moved eventually. The longer you stay with a group you will eventually leave I would think makes it harder rather than easier.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:27 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,425,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
Yes. Agree with all of this. And I thought jlat was a mom too? Weird.
now I am starting to get a complex...

Old 02-20-2014, 08:40 AM

397 posts, read 664,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jddbad View Post
Good morning. I am new to posting on here, but have continued to follow this thread from the beginning when I was searching for information regarding the re-districting. There is a parent in my daughter's class that is prettyinvolved with all of this. She sent out an email to some parents regarding aconversation she had with Frank Aikmus. Not sure if it is relevant or anythingnew, but thought I would share.

"For thoseof you who have not heard, last night the BOE turned down the $3M offer fromthe BOCC because they believed it was tied to the $91M judgment. I was upset by this news, so I emailed the BOCC this morning asking for an explanation andrequesting that they offer the funds without any strings attached. Afterreceiving my email, Mr. Frank Aikmus, the Chairman, reached out to me by phone and had a very candid conversation. According to him, the BOE did not reach outto the BOCC until approximately 4:07 pm last night to discuss the $3M offer. The attorneys for both sides spoke, but somehow the BOE's attorney did not understand the terms. The only "condition" ofthe offer was that the funds had to be used for MCRs. The BOCC's goal was to useit for MCRs to stop the redistricting and give us time to come up with long term planning. Mr. Aikmus stated that the money was in no way tied to the judgment. Later that evening(during the BOE open session) he received an email from an angry parent asking why they (the BOCC) would lie to us. He didn't know what was going on and immediately started to investigate. Shortly after 7:00 there were multiple correspondences (texts, emails, calls) that began between the BOCC andBOE. He tried to make it clear that the money was not coming from the judgment.He wanted the BOE to take another vote on the money, but that didn't occur last night. He's trying to get the BOE to meet with the BOCC, but to no avail.
I think thisredistricting issue can be resolved, but we have to find a way to get the boards to sit down and talk this out. Please reach out to the BOE. We need themto understand the terms, have a revote to accept the funds, and start long term planning. Please spread the word to everyone you can."

Again not sure if this is relevant, but thought I would spread the word. I figured if there a group to spread it to, this would be a good place. Thanks.

Aikmus is all over Facebook defending himself. Makes me sick. Get off of social media sites and go to a damn BOE meeting already.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:44 AM

398 posts, read 618,492 times
Quote:
BTW, my eyes are burning from perusing the Facebook sites this morning. I had to come back here for a sanity check.

All y'all are crazy, but at least everyone here, regardless of your perspective, can think and talk rationally to the bigger picture on any topic.
what are they screamin' about now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte