Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 02:45 PM

49 posts, read 59,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Yeah I did also wonder how he felt he could get actionable insights from that survey, but it did look like there was some good research in there.

I'm a little confused about the "Special Treatment" section (page 76). He says things like "who lives here?"...is he actually asking or does he already know? If he already knows and if it's actually a politician or something (which seems to be the point he's trying to make) I guess I can see his point, but if he doesn't, isn't that something he could have looked up?
Following the same lines, he is also questioning how a certain subdivision remained at their present school while all other developments surrounding that one were moved….it does make one wonder the reasoning behind it.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:24 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewarts Little Marbles View Post
Following the same lines, he is also questioning how a certain subdivision remained at their present school while all other developments surrounding that one were moved….it does make one wonder the reasoning behind it.
Yes that's fine, but I feel like compared to all the other work he put into it, it shouldn't have been too hard to actually find out who lived in some of those homes, instead of just floating out conspiracy theories (which is why I was asking if maybe he did and was asking a rhetorical question).

Old 02-03-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Yes that's fine, but I feel like compared to all the other work he put into it, it shouldn't have been too hard to actually find out who lived in some of those homes, instead of just floating out conspiracy theories (which is why I was asking if maybe he did and was asking a rhetorical question).
i don't know about the individual houses, but i think his point about that subdivision goes right to the heart of how these lines were drawn or why they were drawn in the way they were….Slides 54-58 are excellent. Its a great question he has on how the cap figures were calculated

Old 02-03-2014, 03:39 PM

527 posts, read 744,714 times
Quote:
Yeah I did also wonder how he felt he could get actionable insights from that survey, but it did look like there was some good research in there.

I'm a little confused about the "Special Treatment" section (page 76). He says things like "who lives here?"...is he actually asking or does he already know? If he already knows and if it's actually a politician or something (which seems to be the point he's trying to make) I guess I can see his point, but if he doesn't, isn't that something he could have looked up?
He knows. You can know too by looking it up... you won't be surprised by what you find.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:43 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
He knows.
That's what I thought but wasn't 100% sure.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:44 PM

631 posts, read 892,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewarts Little Marbles View Post
i don't know about the individual houses, but i think his point about that subdivision goes right to the heart of how these lines were drawn or why they were drawn in the way they were….Slides 54-58 are excellent. Its a great question he has on how the cap figures were calculated
Slide 57 is by far my favorite!!!!

It's been a while since I drove by both schools, so correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't Cuthbertson Middle a single floor school? I thought those long classroom wings are just one story.

Marvin Ridge Middle has the same core but their shorter classroom wings are 2 stories.

I hope he did a drive by instead of just looking at satellite photos.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:48 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
I guess this is the big bombshell from the anti-redistrict movement... It's a shame that he overshadowed some excellent work with 3 overlying issues:

#1 - tying this in any way to that "survey". I would have questioned even a choice to include small references to it. But to highlight it so prominently and basically represent this as an extension of the survey was a serious mistake.

#2 - the tone is obviously biased, way too condescending, and tries to be "cutesy" much too often. Why not just stick to the data and analysis?

#3 - the ultimate answer is... you guessed it...

Spoiler
... trailers ...

It needed to keep with the theme of being a report and analysis... which calls out many excellent points and questions. I particularly like the school analysis and McKibben report analysis. Well done. But to overshadow all that with some insulting undertones and then sprinkle in some conspiracy theory about who lives where... ugh

Old 02-03-2014, 03:49 PM

527 posts, read 744,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
Ok, I'll go first. I'll admit I only skimmed it briefly, and stopped after noticing these two things, after which the author lost all credibility to me:

1. Cites a survey that is taken only by parents of redistricted kids that visit a site full of misinformation as some factual evidence, to come to the conclusion that overcrowding isn't a problem, while failing to take into account student enrollment vs capacity. So we are going to take the opinion of a very biased small percentage of the population vs. fact...... really?

2. Cites that McKibben and UCPS numbers differ by some 2k students in between the dates of August and December, and concludes that the DECLINE is a result of new student enrollment during that time (how is that even possible)?? How about that the difference in those numbers is as a result of his faulty math and McKibben's 2013-2014 numbers are exactly UCPS because that is where he obtained his data.... naaaaahhh, lets go with the fact that the numbers are faulty and not explore your math.

Lost interest after that, I read enough fiction at my kid's bedtime.
The survey was sent to as many people as possible to try to get a cross reference. There was never an intent or plan to limit it to parents of redistricted kids. In fact, I remember our good friend Waxhawmom said that she took a week or so ago. Nonetheless, most of the material focuses on #'s and not on the survey.

Haters gonna hate

Old 02-03-2014, 03:52 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,634 times
Quote:

Ooohh, ooohh... me.. me.... (hand raising frantically.)

Who lives there??.... Nobody, just checked GIS site. I was going to post all the names, but don't think it would be appropriate. If you want to see a list GoPhils, just DM me and I'll send you the list.

Why does it "remain in Weddington while every other house moves to Sun Valley"?? Well, please add this as item number 3 on my list of why this report has no credibility. Drum roll...........

Because its west of 16, for God's sake, and NONE of the adjacent communities are going to Sun Valley either, does he know how to read a map?? But there's probably 575 people already shaking their fist in the air about THAT injustice. Again, it's WEST of PROVIDENCE ROAD, bordering the Rea View's border for God's sake, nobody there is going to Sun Valley.... EVER.

........next!

Old 02-03-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I guess this is the big bombshell from the anti-redistrict movement... It's a shame that he overshadowed some excellent work with 3 overlying issues:

#1 - tying this in any way to that "survey". I would have questioned even a choice to include small references to it. But to highlight it so prominently and basically represent this as an extension of the survey was a serious mistake.

#2 - the tone is obviously biased, way too condescending, and tries to be "cutesy" much too often. Why not just stick to the data and analysis?

#3 - the ultimate answer is... you guessed it...

Spoiler
... trailers ...

It needed to keep with the theme of being a report and analysis... which calls out many excellent points and questions. I particularly like the school analysis and McKibben report analysis. Well done. But to overshadow all that with some insulting undertones and then sprinkle in some conspiracy theory about who lives where... ugh

Mikey - you don't find slide 76 even the least bit curious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte