Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 01:59 PM

149 posts, read 535,843 times

Advertisements

People keep saying that redistricting is not a long term solution.

I kind of thought the plan presented WAS a long term solution- meaning everybody moves and stays for 5 years, schools in the areas we know are growing were left with capacity, and schools where no population growth is predicted were filled.
All seats are filled, there are no issues around fiscal responsibility so we get bonds/taxes/funds to build where we need them.
Not a popular plan for sure, but designed for long term fix.

With a constantly growing population, is a long term solution possible? And how many years is considered a long term solution? Is there such a thing as a permanent fix in this situation?

Since we can't build schools every few miles and wait for them to fill up, have there been any real long term/fix it for all solutions presented?

What do other places do in our situation?

Old 02-05-2014, 02:45 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Am I wrong in that the last redistrict was in 2008 - 6 years ago?

Old 02-05-2014, 03:15 PM

527 posts, read 743,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I'm digging through old BOE docs... not sure. I will know when I am done poring through all this... I hope. lol
2010-11 PORTER RIDGE RELIEF REASSIGNMENT

As approved by the Union County Board of Education on March 18, 2010
These boundaries take effect beginning the 2010-2011 school year. The Porter Ridge Enrollment Cap that went into effect on 3/18/09 will be lifted for the 2010-2011 school year. Affected rising juniors and seniors may remain at their current schools; however, transportation will not be provided.
Porter Ridge Reassignment - Approved Map

ANTIOCH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL RELIEF REASSIGNMENT

As approved by the Union County Board of Education on April 21, 2009
These boundaries take effect beginning the 2009-2010 school year. Rising fith graders will be grandfathered into Antioch Elementary School.
Approved Antioch Reassignment Boundaries
Antioch Elementay School Relief - Affected Subdivisions

PORTER RIDGE RELIEF REASSIGNMENT

As approved by the Union County Board of Education on March 17, 2009
Enrollment Cap went into effect 3/18/09. All students enrolled in the Porter Ridge MS/HS attendance area after this date will be assigned to Piedmont MS/HS.
Porter Ridge Middle and High Enrollment Cap

SUN VALLEY RELIEF REASSIGNMENT

As approved by the Union County Board of Education on November 6, 2008
These boundaries take effect beginning the 2009-2010 school year. Current sophomores and juniors at Sun Valley High School will be grandfathered into Sun Valley High School for their junior and senior years.
Sun Valley Relief - Approved Boundaries
Sun Valley Relief - Affected Subdivisions

POPLIN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (ES "L") REASSIGNMENT

As approved by the Union County Board of Education on May 6, 2008
Approved Elementary School "L" Boundaries for 2009-10 School Year

CUTHBERTSON MIDDLE/HIGH SCHOOL (MS/HS "C") REASSIGNMENT

As approved by the Union County Board of Education on April 15, 2008
NOTE: New Town Elementary Attendance Area will solely feed to Middle/High School "C".
Approved Cuthbertson Middle/High School Boundaries for 2009-10 School Year
Cuthbertson Middle/High School Affected Subdivisions

Old 02-05-2014, 03:16 PM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I'm digging through old BOE docs... not sure. I will know when I am done poring through all this... I hope. lol
The new Cuthbertson and Poplin schools back in 2009 as the last "big" redistricting, but they have since tweaked porter ridge twice, sun valley once, and antioch, etc.

Here's the link Reassignment Information
(scroll past the current stuff to the bottom of the page)

Thanks Mike^^^^ you beat me to it!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-08-2014 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: orphan: the quoted post you replied to was deleted

Old 02-05-2014, 03:29 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
I totally agree. I was astonished, ashamed, and disappointed when people started filing out. Not only did they send a message contradictory to their mission of partnership, they also missed some other good information and the opportunity talk to BOE members after the meeting.

I've been no fan of Stewart but had a chance to chat very briefly with him. I don't think it's fair for me to share what he said in a private 1 on 1 situation but he's not 100% in favor of redisctricting... he is however, 100% opposed to MCRs. He has some other solutions in mind.
I don't understand why if some BOE members have other solutions in mind they don't share them. This would at least start a dialogue.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:34 PM

527 posts, read 743,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
I don't understand why if some BOE members have other solutions in mind they don't share them. This would at least start a dialogue.
Agree, he didn't share the specifics with me either... I am just optimistic because I thought for sure I'd get the "there is no other way" response.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:42 PM

397 posts, read 664,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
I can't imagine Stewie whispered any grand new plans into Mike's ear last night. I think all of the options have already been laid out on the table.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:46 PM

309 posts, read 765,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
So many of the problems that have produced this redistricting, are directly due, to the heavy hand of the state legislature. Here, in NC, the state is the dominant factor in funding schools. Many of us come from states where local control is the dominant factor. Both methods of running schools have their pluses and minuses.

In NC’s method, the per-pupil costs are fairly consistent from county to county, but at the cost of diminished local oversight. In my old state of NJ, local school districts held supreme power over how the school funds were spent. If you lived next door to a school in “Rich Town” and the border between towns ran at the end of your yard, and you lived in “Poor Town”, you went to “Poor Town” schools even if you had to take a bus to get there. Municipal boundaries were absolute in determining school attendance.

Here, in Union County that doesn’t really apply with many of the new residents having the same mindset about education as they did in their old state. But every time I get my tax bill, I’m reminded by the big savings, that some things have to be different. I’m sure if you quadrupled the taxes and gave each municipality local control, there’d be thousands complaining about the taxes.! It’s always something Rosanne Rosannadana!
This! Back in the 'hood, for a 3K SF house (comparable to what you find in the Cuthbertson cluster), property taxes would be about $20K/year in a "good" school district, 2/3 of which went to school taxes! And those taxes went up anywhere from 8 to 12% a year! I believe that taxes on a similar type house in NC are about $4K.
How many of us moved to escape that insanity? Do we really want to duplicate that here?

Old 02-05-2014, 04:21 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
My personal opinion as well.
I agree and was looking for some precedence to guide us... You have to figure they are covering their legal tails in preparation for whatever they throw out there. To be honest, the probably have the best legal ground in just implementing the proposal on the table from the Superintendent.

Is the BOCC really interested in helping - or are they more interested in just causing grief for the BOE? I still have questions related to that.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-08-2014 at 09:37 AM..

Old 02-05-2014, 04:23 PM

451 posts, read 711,840 times
Is the $3M letter out there anywhere? Not the press release but the actual offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte