Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 12:51 PM

161 posts, read 194,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
If you go into the July 26, 2017 folder on the Advisory Committee website, you can see maps of the options presented last night within the pdf called "UCPS Committee Meeting 2_170726". https://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/Page/6320
Thank you. I watched the meeting and was impressed by what I saw. I felt the committee asked insightful questions. The amount of information and transparency has far exceeded my expectations. It's refreshing to see UCPS moving in a positive direction for change. Credit to the new administration and new school board for their efforts. I hope this continues. Will be watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 08:19 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher4life View Post
I believe that's beginning tonight. McKibben was very clear about the need to move the lines back toward the east, to bring the numbers back up in the west.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I haven't had an opportunity to listen to it. Thanks!

The numbers on the enrollment forecasts don't seem to indicate that after a quick look.
Rancher4life is correct, that is exactly what McK said. After watching Webb give a presentation last time telling everyone the boundaries had to go West, 3 short years later McK is saying they need to come East... and it's actually worse than that because McK's forecast has some schools getting so underutilized in the West they could be in danger of closing. It's the nightmare scenario that so many of us warned the BOE about. Move 5k+ kids to just turn around and move half of them back.

Frankly, it's ridiculous and people have the right to be upset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher4life View Post
Are the maps online? I can't find the link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
If you go into the July 26, 2017 folder on the Advisory Committee website, you can see maps of the options presented last night within the pdf called "UCPS Committee Meeting 2_170726". https://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/Page/6320
You can find the "Interactive Maps" link under "Resources and Documents":

UCPS, NC

* you then select any layer you wish to review

Old 07-28-2017, 09:12 AM

10 posts, read 9,132 times
We are currently living in Northern California considering a move to what sounds like an amazing place to raise kids. I've read a ton on these boards and can't believe a place like this exists (really jaded about NorCal lately). I'm very interested in schools as we have 2 elementary aged kids,so I've researched both Fort Mill schools as well as Union County.
My questions are
-1-do people trust the process of redistricting in UCPS this time more than the previous time?
2-A previous poster mentioned split feeders-are these highly likely? Are there any schools that have a "clean" feeder pattern? (We are interested in Cuthbertson, Marvin, Weddington clusters).
3-how do locals compare UCPS to Fort Mill schools? I'm interested in what people in the area think. For example, here we are zoned for the "rich kids" school. We do fine, but we are not rich. I don't like that stigma or the sweeping generalizations nor do I want my kids going to a school where the kids have accessto too much money. I hope that makes sense.

I have read tons of posts and know many Californians have found the Carolinas. If there is anyone who would be willing to message me, I'd so appreciate talking about some of the more specific Bay Area vs the south type things. By the way, if you can't already tell, I'm very excited to leave here. It's gotten way, way too liberal and nobody seems to be able to just "live and let live."

Old 07-28-2017, 09:23 AM

114 posts, read 130,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
McKibbon's map guru also pointed out in one of the map options that either Indian Trail elem OR Wesley Chapel elem could go to Weddington instead of Sun Valley depending on how they flipped some boundaries. I bet that was sacrilege in some WC circles.
That option was DOA, it will never be allowed to happen with this board and this advisory committee. Facility Chair from Wesley Chapel. Advisory Chair from Wesley Chapel. Yeah, Option 2A is the option that shows that all options are on the table, but something had to get cut.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:15 AM

631 posts, read 892,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsmom11 View Post
I'm very interested in schools as we have 2 elementary aged kids,so I've researched both Fort Mill schools as well as Union County.
My questions are
-1-do people trust the process of redistricting in UCPS this time more than the previous time?
This is a LOT better than the last time. Hands down. We're all seeing the same data, it's been verified by groups visiting schools for classrooms, size, capacity etc. And they have a board of representatives reviewing the data and broadcasting all the meetings where it is presented and discussed. Very open!!! I'm sure some folks won't like certain outcomes, but this is a MUCH better process.

Quote:
2-A previous poster mentioned split feeders-are these highly likely? Are there any schools that have a "clean" feeder pattern? (We are interested in Cuthbertson, Marvin, Weddington clusters).
Split feeders would be from the Elem to various MS, but I think every MS will only have one HS. Splits will help in the long run, though. If you look at the maps BubbaHelms linked to, you can see where some areas are showing split. You have to toggle the elementary and middle school views to see it. That view will also give you a good indication of the non-split schools.

Quote:
3-how do locals compare UCPS to Fort Mill schools? I'm interested in what people in the area think. For example, here we are zoned for the "rich kids" school. We do fine, but we are not rich. I don't like that stigma or the sweeping generalizations nor do I want my kids going to a school where the kids have access to too much money. I hope that makes sense.
Fort Mill and the UCPS schools you mentioned are pretty equal in my opinion. Fort Mill is its own district within a large county, whereas UCPS covers the entire county. If you compared all of York County to all of UCPS, I think UCPS would be better. I'm not touching the rest of your question.

Quote:
It's gotten way, way too liberal and nobody seems to be able to just "live and let live."
In many cases, NC and UC has gotten way too conservative and nobody seems to be able to just "live and let live." So I guess it depends on your vantage point.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:04 PM

631 posts, read 892,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Move 5k+ kids to just turn around and move half of them back.
I bet that's pretty close. I know options 1 and 2 are just way too early drafts, but they were done by a third party. Wonder what the number of kids impacted by either option is to get an estimate.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:29 PM

149 posts, read 165,501 times
Quote:
here we are zoned for the "rich kids" school. We do fine, but we are not rich. I don't like that stigma or the sweeping generalizations nor do I want my kids going to a school where the kids have accessto too much money. I hope that makes sense.

"
I think you will find, and y'all correct me if I'm wrong, that the PERCEPTION of everyone not attending the three schools you mentioned consider those three to BE the rich schools. My opinion also is that many of the people who attend those schools also consider them to be the rich schools.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:01 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
I bet that's pretty close. I know options 1 and 2 are just way too early drafts, but they were done by a third party. Wonder what the number of kids impacted by either option is to get an estimate.
It's probably very close to the original number with the current options. I didn't see the MS or HS impact numbers, but if you look at the presentation from the meeting it says Option 1 is 2033 K-5 students and Option 2 is 1594 K-5 students - impacted. Now add in the MS and HS kids, which has to be at least that many, if not more, for each option... and it's a likely bet that most of the proposed impacted were the same ones who moved 3 years ago.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:13 AM

161 posts, read 194,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
It's probably very close to the original number with the current options. I didn't see the MS or HS impact numbers, but if you look at the presentation from the meeting it says Option 1 is 2033 K-5 students and Option 2 is 1594 K-5 students - impacted. Now add in the MS and HS kids, which has to be at least that many, if not more, for each option... and it's a likely bet that most of the proposed impacted were the same ones who moved 3 years ago.
It's no surprise former BOE facilities chairman Kevin Stewart is posting on Facebook claiming the complete opposite of what Mckibben reported. Either he's incredibly incompetent and lacks basic comprehension skills, or it's a weak effort to cover his a$$. It's no wonder we are in this predicament. It will take years to clean up the damage done by the inept and likely corrupt workings of the prior board and administration. I still don't believe it was a coincidence that so many resignations rolled in after the SBI investigation of Dr. Mary Ellis was complete. I would love to know what deals were cut. All at the expense of the children and tax payers.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:45 AM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
It's been very quiet on the UCPS front. (That's probably a good sign.)

There have been a few meetings, any updates.rumors coming out of committee or BOE?

Are they moving students to relieve over crowding?

Are they moving students to forestall closing schools when the predicted student population decline begins?

Rumor has it that commissioners would prefer not reassigning students for the next two years or so. Why would they care when a reassignment takes place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte