Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2017, 02:53 PM

37 posts, read 38,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
So you have no rebuttal except to ask a bunch of questions. Got it. Reminds me of someone else on here a few years ago.

As compared to a couple of blowhard former board members trying to create more problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 02:55 PM

37 posts, read 38,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
Are you part of the current board that is trying to snow the public?
No. Just a concerned citizen with a couple kids that will be impacted. I'm seeing a gap between what is being said by the board and what you are saying here, but your comments reek of prejudice.

Maybe if you were looking to help solve problems rather than create them?

Old 12-13-2017, 03:17 PM

549 posts, read 680,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneSpecialHere View Post
No. Just a concerned citizen with a couple kids that will be impacted. I'm seeing a gap between what is being said by the board and what you are saying here, but your comments reek of prejudice.

Prejudice against whom? I’m not the one redistricting to segregate this county more than it has ever been in the past fifty years.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:28 PM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
Quote:

Don't hesitate to articulate that gap you see. It may enlighten some on this board.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:11 PM

114 posts, read 130,648 times
Quote:

Reconciling actions vs. words of the board is most telling.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:52 PM

631 posts, read 892,576 times
BOE words and actions:

No questions asked grandfathering!!! - retracted
Vote for the bond and these important projects!!! - manipulate budget and move money to other schools after elected
The CAC will use accurate/standardized capacity numbers!!! - manipulate bond to readjust capacity numbers
The CAC will use accurate/standardized capacity numbers (part 2)!!! - Admit in BOE meeting they knew about bond adjustments in July but didn't tell anyone until Dec... after CAC wasted months of time with bad capacity data
The CAC will use accurate/standardized capacity numbers (part 3)!!! - add lunch blocks at schools to fit their needs
The CAC will operate on their own!! - Merrill manipulates cropper in public email for her own neighborhood
The CAC will operate on their own (part 2)!! - Heintel is at all these meetings and injects herself to answer questions
The CAC will operate on their own (part 3)!! - Public isn't allowed to communicate directly with CAC members
The CAC will operate on their own (part 4)!! - The CAC members are prevented from communicating with public
The CAC will operate on their own (part 5)!! - See grandfathering - limited grandfather options force moves on the maps
We will be transparent!!! - policy meetings about grandfathering not broadcast

Old 12-14-2017, 06:39 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Gaslighting aside, there are definitely some folks who will support this realignment and others who will decry it - mostly based on how they perceive their outcome. If they're moving to a "better" or closer school, logic dictates they will be happy. This board is undoing the previous injustice and they want this redistricting to happen. For others who are moving to "make room" or "align to the forecast", they will publicly crucify the BOE, committee, and process. It's super easy to do that on these boards anonymously. So it's very difficult to wade through the commentary on both ends of that spectrum because context matters.

Where this really begins to break down is how the line is drawn between the 2 camps - those who are getting a good outcome versus those who are getting a bad outcome. Regardless of your stance, there are very clear issues with how this is all playing out. I can't say for sure how much of it is conspiracy, inexperience, or incompetence. My guess is that it is a little of all 3. The committee was handed a nearly impossible task to begin with and changing core criteria (i.e. removing no questions asked, changing capacity) late in the process invalidates much of the work done to this point. From a conspiracy perspective, there is obviously a back channel from the BOE to Cropper's map edits. He is fed information that the committee doesn't necessarily have and he is being guided by the people paying for his services. To argue that based on how the maps have evolved is silly. The inexperience of the current board is fully on display, won't even bother with examples. The incompetence is fuzzy to me because that is where you bleed into potential conspiracy territory. When it's obvious the BOE has been long working to reallocate the bond funds, certainly back as far as the realignment committee process started, nothing was mentioned. The board knew that they would be changing the bond allocations and that it would impact the planned capacity at certain schools. Yet, they presented the future capacity numbers per the bond as voted on by the county. I can't imagine a scenario where this wasn't an intentional and conscious decision by the BOE... not to share their bond plans with the committee/public long before they outed themselves by presenting it to the BOCC. If you're calling the board's transparency into question, it appears justified.

I won't get into the raw politics of the drama around Rape's foot in mouth disease or the chair kicker's faux outrage. It's embarrassing and I suspect eventually when it comes out that we all paid legal fees to defend the cowboy for shooting his mouth off, it will get more interesting with how he was the choice to bring a censure vote to Rape. Pot meet kettle. But honestly, this is likely unavoidable as every board will have members who play out their own little reality show for us. Small time politics.

As we come into the home stretch, much of the focus will be on the committee's recommendation to the board. It was an ugly choice to have the committee vote on individual neighborhoods in open session and I hope that doesn't happen again. But, I suspect it will and on many levels it's the board offloading their dirty work and giving those who are getting a bad outcome their bogeyman. It will get lost on many people that ultimately the board can (and will) do whatever they want neighborhood by neighborhood as they give the committee members a hard time. The board could very well bail out the committee by passing much more grandfathering, but that appears to be pushed off until the February BOE meeting... which will be after the committee makes a recommendation. Crappy timing.

When I started this thread a year ago last week, I was looking for my popcorn and by and large it hasn't disappointed so far. So I will pose a couple of questions passed to me from Sunshine CJ, a comrade and fellow popcorn muncher from the last redistricting. I'm sure he will be reading replies:

Quote:
Just have two questions for the thread:
1. Why does CAPS want in Weddington HS instead of Cutty with Cook Jr as principal who takes after Marvin's Cook and doesn't put up with parental involvement or influence?

2. Does SVHS get a turf field? That would be awesome for their lax program...

I'll be watching and snacking on popcorn.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
BOE words and actions..
The CAC will use accurate/standardized capacity numbers (part 3)!!! - add lunch blocks at schools to fit their needs
I see you also noticed that Weddington Middle lunchroom capacity is 670 something and with grandfathering they could have close to 1300 kids next year. That will probably be the next urgent capital improvement project.

Isn’t it funny how cafeteria capacity mattered for people when students were getting redistricted to Parkwood and Sun Valley; but when moving kids back to Weddington, Heintel just decrees core capacity doesn’t matter?

Old 12-14-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
To argue that based on how the maps have evolved is silly. The inexperience of the current board is fully on display, won't even bother with examples. The incompetence is fuzzy to me because that is where you bleed into potential conspiracy territory. When it's obvious the BOE has been long working to reallocate the bond funds, certainly back as far as the realignment committee process started, nothing was mentioned. The board knew that they would be changing the bond allocations and that it would impact the planned capacity at certain schools. Yet, they presented the future capacity numbers per the bond as voted on by the county. I can't imagine a scenario where this wasn't an intentional and conscious decision by the BOE... not to share their bond plans with the committee/public long before they outed themselves by presenting it to the BOCC. If you're calling the board's transparency into question, it appears justified.
Did anyone else notice that the SV project changes got pulled off the Facilities Committee agenda at Wednesday’s meeting and they said projects hadn’t been decided on for Western Union yet? I’m wondering if the whole switcheroo is not a done deal. If the commissioners won’t let them move the Western Union money because of the outcry from the Western Union community, where will the BOE find the funds for the over budget Sun Valley and Transportation facility projects? What a mess! Of course, SV is a bigger voting block so Western Union might still get the short end of the stick.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:13 PM

Union Day moving to Tilley Morris in Weddington on the Meck line sure throws a monkey wrench in things. Are they sure they don’t need that addition on Western Union? Waxhaw elementaries sure are going to be crowded next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte