Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 01:38 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
9/11 changed all of us!. I remember driving past some of those NJ Transit Stations later that week, containing those cars and SUVs whose owners were never coming back home to retrieve them. Those two "Pillars of Light" that rose up to the sky, to mark where the buildings had been, and burned until the end of March 2002, are indelibly etched into my mind.
I worked on the 97th floor of tower 1 and was 3 blocks away when the first plane hit... In the perspective of this thread, I think 9-11 changed things for the better - definitely not saying 9-11 changed most or even many things better.

But many "Jones'" got a wake up call that day as to what is really important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 01:54 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I worked on the 97th floor of tower 1 and was 3 blocks away when the first plane hit... In the perspective of this thread, I think 9-11 changed things for the better - definitely not saying 9-11 changed most or even many things better.

Mikey - I am stunned. This amazes me. In the last month, I have heard five people attribute 9/11 to their decision to move here - either b/c they were actually right there at Ground Zero that day . . . or their job was affected in some way - or they started questioning staying in the area b/c they wanted a lifestyle change and 9/11 made them pause and think - why wait.

I can only imagine what it was like to go thru/ that experience. Glad you are here w/ us in NC now, tho.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I thought I heard on the radio that the percentage of divorces actually increased recently... something like up to 53%.
May be. I will have to check that out. Any way you look at it - one outta 2 - give or take a point - is pretty stark when you think of all the things that can affect a relationship. Need to do all we can to alleviate stressors in a relationship - not create added pressures. At least, that is my perspective at this stage of my life.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:58 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:

Wow Mike, that's intense. I cannot imagine how terrible that day was for you personally. Hope you AND your wife feel at home here in no time at all

Old 03-24-2008, 02:21 PM

620 posts, read 2,117,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Not to me. But evidently it is to some people. And I think it is more troublesome for parents w/ kids in school - when the kids come home and feel "left out" or that they are going to be excluded b/c they do not have the "latest, greatest, hottest" stuff the other kids have.

As a mature woman, I am in no way intimidated by anyone else's trappings of success (whether pseudo or real, LOL) but for kids - it can be something that makes them feel ostracized, left out, put down, etc. So I think this is more the concern.
This is true, but that is what maturing is all about. When your young, you want to fit in. As you get older, you care less about things like that. It is just a part of growing up and you can't shelter your children from it. If it isn't material things that they feel left out on, it'll be something else.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:24 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times
Anifani, thank you for your soft words and beautiful response to my post. There are so many wonderful, nice people on these threads from all over the country.
My post was from my heart and reading it myself remembering that day we made a life changing decision for the better made me tear up also, it seemed like yesterday. Have a wonderful evening and I hope your headache goes away really soon. Hugs from Winterville.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:40 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times
I'm still waiting for Drew to explain his thinking about how northeasterners "know how to act" with money.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:44 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I'm still waiting for Drew to explain his thinking about how northeasterners "know how to act" with money.
Most of us just chose to ignore that silly remark

Old 03-24-2008, 03:47 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:

Me too, considering its always about the money..me personally I think the southerns have alot of class especially those with money..JMO

Old 03-24-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Me, too.

You don't think my diamond encrusted 5" long platinum cross is tacky, do you? Or the fact that I book a limo w/ my friends (and pop a bottle of Crystale) to go to SouthPark to shop?

I thought I was doing everything right. Sure hope someone will take the time to enlighten me so I know how to act in the future - wanna make sure I know how to act w/ my money. <maybe sticking that roll of Presidents in my decolletage was not such a good idea after all????>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte