Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 11:36 PM

571 posts, read 716,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I hope things slow down soon. I really don't want Charlotte to turn into another Atlanta.
I'm not sure what that means anymore. Thirty-five years ago people in Charlotte were saying they didn't want to be another Atlanta. But now 35 years later, the Charlotte metro is the same size the Atlanta metro was back in the early '80s. So Charlotte has already become what Atlanta was, and what Charlotte said it didn't want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 05:56 AM

4,616 posts, read 6,451,452 times
I would love for Charlotte to become another DC though.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:16 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,285,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
No sunbelt city that boomed post auto-era will ever look like DC. Don't need to, I think sunbelt cities are urbanizing just fine. Charlotte will look a lot like Atlanta. Atlanta has plenty of urban areas. DC is pretty sprawled as well and both have big city traffic volumes and issues. I'm not sure why people think Charlotte isn't going to have similar traffic issues as it grows and can avoid looking anything like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, etc.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:22 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,361,575 times
Quote:
People are already complaining about Charlotte's median rent approaching $1,200 a month. I seriously doubt people are ready for a median rent that's double that amount. Also Charlotte would need bus driving jobs and construction jobs of at least $30 an hour in order to sustain DC's level of development and cost of living. At the present no City in the Carolinas would be able to compete with the neighboring Metro's if they were at DC's level. At best Charlotte could develop high-density corridors around Light Rail stations. That seems to be the direction of the city anyway.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:49 AM

37,902 posts, read 42,048,048 times
Quote:
That's kinda impossible unless the U.S. government is also looking to establish an HQ2.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:18 PM

4,616 posts, read 6,451,452 times
Mutiny, that’s essentially what Trump and conservatives want to do by dispersing federal agencies outside of DMV.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:16 AM

37,902 posts, read 42,048,048 times
Quote:
Mutiny, that’s essentially what Trump and conservatives want to do by dispersing federal agencies outside of DMV.
That's something that has been discussed for decades and even if some agency headquarters were to relocate, there still won't be an equal to DC. Nobody is advocating moving half of all federal agency headquarters to one particular city.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:23 AM

3,664 posts, read 3,948,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
You have a nice way of surmising things, and yes, I agree with your opinion of NC - which is why I am vocal and protective of her (NC's) advantages.

Sadly, there seems to be an opinion among many folks that "things will remain as they are" - as if to say that NC's virtues are immutable.

History proves otherwise.

Fortunately, the City of Charlotte is not the City of New York, and she has learned from her mistakes, and now cherishes and embraces her past. The City of New York sees everything in terms of an increase in tax revenue, and has permitted structures that it ought not have. Every inch of land is maximized for profit, and where one house stood, ten townhouses now stand, without giving proper consideration to things like the need for ample parking; roads that can support traffic, etc.

As quality of life in New York suffered, New Yorkers left New York City for New Jersey. As NJ was flooded with former NY'ers, and as New Jersey's cost of living rose and congestion increased, the exodus has since been diverted to North Carolina.
New York State & surrounding states suffer from people wanting better weather down South and high tax burden on waning population to keep schools, roads, etc, functional.

But NYC has never shined as much as now, it's the only Northern city still growing, it's cleaner, greener, & more flush with cash than ever in its history.

I know, I arrived in 1999 just after Guilanni has cleaned up Times Square's seediness, which started a boom period with a new, Disney park-safety with low crime, businesses worldwide wanted their HQ back in Manhattan, and Bloomberg ushered in developers that replaced almost half of Manhattan with new condos and rentals.

Now Manhattan is 100% litter free, you can almost eat off the sidewalks. Crime is less than 1/2 of NC's.

After 10 years and now in my 40s, I returned to the easier, relaxed pace of Atlanta.

And I understand that you are stating that Charlotte now doesn't want to erase any more history, and that's good, but your comparison to NYC implies that it had a choice, which it didn't.

From immigrants, people flocking to Manhattan to work in factories, that small island became crowded for survival, which was hard with the disease, shantytowns, horse manure covering the streets, etc.

Every sq. inch of that city has a value to everyone around the world. It is maximized to turn away fewer people.

NYC is larger than life in attracting the creatives, the go-getters from every state and around the world who aren't afraid of anything. They're all on the same page...strive for the best, biggest, the highest goals "what else is there?:" I miss that environment.

Where else can you live with the world's most influential people and 8.5 million others ALL WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE?

It's such a unique environment, a lot of local, small-town aspects, literally rubbing elbows with others all day long, with every type, caliber, genious, deadbeat, imaginable.

That exposure to all kinds, fosters collaboration, invention, style, residents of NYC are creating, deciding tomorrow's trends, and the city is like a spinning top with so much momentum built up starting 100 years ago, that every aspect of life and people is 10-15 years ahead of the rest of the country.

The average rent for a studio apt. in Manhattan is around $3,800 a month because the much of the world wants to live there, and the price of everything is just a function of who gets the privilege.

NYC planted 1 million trees in recent years and is about 30% tree canopy which far surpasses the world's other dense cities. Outdoor spaces & connections with nature have been the main focus for the last 10 years now, tearing down any space that's too much a concrete jungle.

Constructing buildings and the amount of development doesn't give a city its worth.

Charlotte needs to relax a little with that obsession

ren

Old 06-04-2018, 05:41 AM

547 posts, read 775,557 times
Can’t even stand visiting NYC.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:09 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,285,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
....NYC planted 1 million trees in recent years and is about 30% tree canopy which far surpasses the world's other dense cities. Outdoor spaces & connections with nature have been the main focus for the last 10 years now, tearing down any space that's too much a concrete jungle.

Constructing buildings and the amount of development doesn't give a city its worth.

Charlotte needs to relax a little with that obsession

ren
Is it not demand? Austin, Nashville, Seattle, Dallas, Houston, etc are all experiencing development of all kinds. Better question is what your obsession with Charlotte and growth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte