Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 03:39 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,036,933 times

Advertisements

Everyone has different views but we are extremely disappointed. I think it also depends on where you are coming from and what you are use to. There are so many wonderful things about living here though it really is a tough decision so we are just going to wait it out a few more yrs. that is all we can do at this point.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:51 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTiz View Post
Okay, between this post and the home invasions post I have to admit that I'm getting scared as we are in contract on a new house in Union County. Can anyone ease my concerns or do things really, honestly seem to be taking a turn for the worse? If so, I have to admit it would be incredibly disappointing!
I gotta tell you - I am a native of this region. I think things have gotten worse everywhere across this country.

I had been living in another state and we moved back here . . . and knowing all I know now . . . it would not even give me pause about coming back. My property is safe b/c I have always been safety conscious and I am cautious. I go where I need to go and do what I need to do and altho I do notice who is around me, who is behind me in a car, who is in my neighborhood, etc - I have been doing that all my life. I am very at home in any major city here or in Europe b/c I have lived my life paying attention. I hear about other people being pick-pocketed in Rome or having their luggage stolen in France, and I think - OH WELL. Cause I have traveled all over and I pay attention!!!! I have never had a problem.

Now anyone can have his/her car broken into - here or any other city.

We were visiting our son in CHI back about 15 years ago . . . and we had a rental van . . . we were eating at a very popular restaurant and the van was parked across the street in a lot that was gated, w/ a chain link fence around it - and we had to pay to park there. When we came out, all four hubcaps had been stolen. We were outraged! We had paid to park there and it wasn't just a "gate" - there were several guys on duty! We asked them how the heck that could have happened and they said - who knows - guess a gang of kids climbed over the fence! And this was for LUNCH - during the DAY!!!

So things happen.

I have not had anything happen to me or my family members or neighbors (other than car accidents) since moving here five years ago. So . . . I don't know what to tell you except get to know your neighbors, look out for each other's property . . . pay attention . . . just like you would anywhere!

Old 03-31-2008, 03:55 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,502,856 times
I know people say well it's the media just hyping things up because, well, because they can, but the problem I have is that you get first hand crime stories from just about anyone you ask....."oh yeah, my house was broken into" or "yup, my car was broken into recently too". These are not made up stories, and there are far too many of them.

MJ, I'm real sorry about what happened, must have been scary. Please don't take this the wrong way, but that is classic "what not to do 101". Pull over for someone you don't know? Not a chance. At the very least, if you feel like you have to pull over, pull into a crowded public place with lots of people. Or call the cops while you are pulling over, but basically don't pull over at all. So what if you left your credit card at the chinese food place, call them when you get home. Not worth the risk. Hope your wife is ok.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
I know people say well it's the media just hyping things up because, well, because they can, but the problem I have is that you get first hand crime stories from just about anyone you ask....."oh yeah, my house was broken into" or "yup, my car was broken into recently too". These are not made up stories, and there are far too many of them.

MJ, I'm real sorry about what happened, must have been scary. Please don't take this the wrong way, but that is classic "what not to do 101". Pull over for someone you don't know? Not a chance. At the very least, if you feel like you have to pull over, pull into a crowded public place with lots of people. Or call the cops while you are pulling over, but basically don't pull over at all. So what if you left your credit card at the chinese food place, call them when you get home. Not worth the risk. Hope your wife is ok.
I do think this is part of the problem . . . we are all too trusting and have lived somewhat sheltered lives . . . and so are not really "street smart." Now I have had some really scary things happen at a young age so I figured out the world is full of basically good people - but it only takes a hand full of criminals to ruin things for the rest of us.

We all just have to start accepting that this is the real world and bad things happen . . .

As you say, Eman, we all need to have it firmly in our minds as to "what not to do" and "what to do" so we are not caught unaware when confronted w/ possible criminal behavior.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:29 PM

Default eman

Sorry I must have gave you the wrong impression that did not happen to me. It went around my HOA and some other neighborhoods. It happened to a woman in another neighborhood.

If that happened to me my husband would have our bags packed....definitely not something we would wait around for to see if it happened again!

I agree with alf in that you have to watch out for your surroundings but around here things are a little bit worse then that in my opinion. I just never have heard this many stories in the suburbs so frequently.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
Sorry I must have gave you the wrong impression that did not happen to me. It went around my HOA and some other neighborhoods. It happened to a woman in another neighborhood.

If that happened to me my husband would have our bags packed....definitely not something we would wait around for to see if it happened again!

I agree with alf in that you have to watch out for your surroundings but around here things are a little bit worse then that in my opinion. I just never have heard this many stories in the suburbs so frequently.
Charlotte is a big area - as is Union Co. There are a lot of areas for things to go wrong. Also, we didn't have the internet back when I was raising kids so I usually didn't hear about crime in my town til many months after it happened (cause unless someone was hurt - things like a robbery just don't make the newspapers).

I don't think it is something to get paralyzed about! Just get an alarm system and pay attention. These thugs are not wanting to confront people who are at home. They are choosing times when people are gone for the most part. Form a neighborhood watch. Neighbors should look out for neighbors.

There is crime everywhere. Any of us can be a victim, even if we are visiting someplace! No use to get overly concerned - just pay attention and know your neighbors . . .

Old 03-31-2008, 06:19 PM

Default Another crime? related to the car jacking?

Not sure but our HOA president said they talked to the head of the police today in SC and that this was true. The policemen in our neighborhood also agreed.

This was the e-mail.

Just to let you guys know what is being told at work this morning. A
lady who works here, cousin, is a detective in SC and they had gotten
info that one of the Mexican gangs is having initiation into their
gang this week or in the next couple of weeks. The initiation involves
running someone off the road or involving them in a bump up and then
when they get out of the car they are to shoot them. It is suppose to
happen in Union, Lancaster or Chester counties. So, I guess we really
have to watch every little detail. All of this is a little too close
to home.
I also heard the same thing from 2 different sherriff's so please do not ignore the warnings.

I was told if you are involved in an accident like this, drive to the nearest police station...Do not get out of your car.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:24 PM

Default well alf..

I adore you and all your help on this board but on this topic we will have to agree to disagree on this one

This is not normal at all in my opinion.

I don't think the internet has anything to do with it. We had internet and forums back where I lived and no one is reporting any car jackings in the suburbs or 55 houses being broken into and the cops still walking around with their hands in the air saying "I don't know what happened to them!"

Old 03-31-2008, 06:51 PM

232 posts, read 728,891 times
I agree. I used to live in Wesley Chapel in 2004-06 and I hardly heard of any crime incidents close to home- now we are thinking about moving back to Union County somewhere but are hesitant, it just appears to have gotten worse over the last 2 years- i know the taxes just went up, but when are they going to have a serious police force, and some services instead of the sheriff over in Monroe 20 minutes away? this is crazy crazy scary stuff...you can't even drive to your grocery store without getting followed and attempted hijacking?

Old 03-31-2008, 07:25 PM

84 posts, read 492,833 times
Default Police Force

Can anyone tell me what the police force situation is? We are concerned about response times. If it takes 20 min to respond to a carjacking attempt or home invasion, what is it like for other incidents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte