Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:48 AM

575 posts, read 1,516,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Out where MJ lives she was probably talking to a county Sheriff's Deputy (correct me if I'm wrong MJ). As you may or may not know, Sheriff's deputy's aren't quite the same as city police officers - but regardless, they are people just like the rest of us, and just as capable of buying into a rumor mill. Not saying I know for a fact that this is what happened, only that it looks like that is possibly what happened since what MJ reported is almost word for word what the hoax websites are reporting as hoaxes. And the problem with this garbage is EXACTLY the very thing you mentioned "it sure sounds like they are capable of doing that sort of thing". Because it sounds plausible, people believe it more readily and the rumor spreads like wildfire, unnecessarily scaring people when in reality there is nothing to fear.
Not quite the same? Do they carry a gun and wear a bullet proof vest? Are they sworn to uphold the law and put themselves in harms way to protect citizens? Sir, they are quite the same! Keep your guessing games to yourself and not tarnish others to promote your hoax theories.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:50 AM

575 posts, read 1,516,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Aahh, the wonderful world of "what ifs." Sounds like a pleasant place to live.
There are no 'what ifs' when it comes to the level of savagery that can been done by the invaders. There are many fact based reported news stories, i'm sure you have read a few.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:03 AM

1,242 posts, read 4,036,933 times
Default okay

let's see yes they carried a gun and they are sheriff's then some of the guys are on the monroe police force in regards to the crime of the hoax and initiaion well I am writing what goes around in my neighborhoods. As berry said before anyway you slice it it is not normal to live in the suburbs and have this much crime and no one being caught! It is just really upsurd for anyone!

Think about the poor guy in Providence CC that was shot in the leg. It is no longer random it is everywhere in South Charlotte.

I am not picking on anyone here but please realize that all suburbs throughout the US are like this. I could go anwyhere at night and not worry about being mugged or run off the road or shot carryign my trash out. Could it happen sure? But did it happen never. All of this is a real problem and now we have the criminals being cocky b/c they know they can get away with it. Just not good!

This would not be so upsetting if the police and there county officials would just come forward say yes we have a big problem, plese be aware of your surroundings and here are the actions steps we are going to put into place in the short term and in the long term here is our plans. But there is none of that which makes absolutely no sense. I don't see how people aren't up in arms. I know in my neighborhood we have called the Observer to run an a article and placed many calls to our local Monroe Police to keep a better eye on our neighborhood. We also are going to run a self defense class and start a neighbrohood night walk. Plus most of us are going to learn how to shot a gun. At least this will help ease our minds for now but the cops and county officials really need to step up to the plate and not leave all the residents in the dark wondering what the heck they are doing!

Okay I am done everyone knows my standpoint!

Old 04-01-2008, 10:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Aahh, the wonderful world of "what ifs." Sounds like a pleasant place to live.
Yeah, well the only thing about my world that involves "what if" is - What if I am not prepared to take care of myself and my family should something unexpected occur.

The world is full of crazy stuff that can impact you in a moment. I am driving and see someone make a stupid move and think . . . what if I had not been watching that nutball . . . what if I had been driving 10 feet closer to that loser . . . etc. You just have to be prepared and not assume you are impervious to bad things happening. Doesn't have to be a criminal trying to run you off the road . . . could be some drunk driving on the wrong side of the street . . .

The best thing citizens can do is pay attention! Don't make yourself a target! You don't want to get your purse snatched? Then don't carry a Louis Vuitton, as that purse itself is worth more than some people make in a month. Don't want someone to follow you home to rob you? Then don't buy a luxury car and if you do have a Lexus, Beemer, MB - whatever - pay attention to who is driving behind you! Don't want to get accosted while out w/ your children alone? Then don't take them out w/ you in the evenings unless you have a male w/ you.

We all want the freedom to do what we want when we want, where we want . . . but the thugs are counting on you doing just that! So if you don't want to be a victim, don't act like a victim. Plain and simple. Don't walk in parking lots w/ a cell phone attached to your ear - you are sending out signals that you are distracted and vulnerable. If you buy groceries and have to bring kids w/ you - make sure someone else helps you pack your groceries in the car. Etc etc. Think like a criminal so you can foil criminal intent!!!

Most crimes are crimes of opportunity. Don't let yourself be put in a situation where you are a thug's "moment of opportunity."

Old 04-01-2008, 10:16 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondplayer View Post
Not quite the same? Do they carry a gun and wear a bullet proof vest? Are they sworn to uphold the law and put themselves in harms way to protect citizens? Sir, they are quite the same! Keep your guessing games to yourself and not tarnish others to promote your hoax theories.
Sheriff's deputies actually spend most of their time serving warrants, but I'm not going to argue with you.

My point is that MJ reported something almost word for word that has been investigated and proven to be a hoax by several different hoax groups. This leads me to believe what she heard was rumor, not fact, even if it did come from someone in law enforcement. I am not trying to "tarnish" anyone, especially not MJ, who I happen to genuinely like. I am only saying that it is important when discussing crime issues/stories to be sure we are repeating actual events and not just rumors or we do a disservice to everyone who hears the rumor and become part of the problem by perpetuating false claims.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:39 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
No one is trying to deny that absurd crimes have happened in this region. However, what Loves is referring to as a hoax can indeed be read about on Snopes.com. I am not making judgment about what anyone has or has not heard. Nor am I able to track rumors vs. actual true crime stories that have taken place. I am just saying . . . facts can get mixed up w/ urban rumors when people are talking about "what has gone on."

And I am gonna say something now that is not going to be very popular on this forum, and I hesitate writing it . . . but here goes.

How many people who are so concerned w/ how bad the crime is here are natives as opposed to newcomers?

Cause here is the way it shakes out. The crazy crimes have escalated right along w/ the influx of newcomers.

Hmmmmm. What does that say?

Well, the newcomers are going to get angry w/ me but I hope you will at least think about this. We natives have been raised to assume a thug is gonna break in our houses. We have been raised as children to know that it doesn't matter how "nice" an area is . . . someone can trespass into our little world and attack us, rob us, rape us, maim us.

So we have never taken our safety for granted. We don't leave garage doors open, toys on the lawn, cars unlocked, etc. Now maybe this is not true for natives in CLT, but I was raised in the rural South, and we knew that we were ON OUR OWN to protect ourselves, b/c the Sheriff couldn't get there in time to do SQUAT.

When I moved to the midwest - people acted like crime had to happen in some other state, cause it surely would never happen in our upscale neighborhood. People left doors unlocked all nite . . .cars unlocked . . . etc. People shopped at the upscale mall at 8 pm. Then they were shocked their purses got snatched. People started complaining. Houses were getting broken into! Well, DUH. No one even locked the door b/n their garage and house. Suddenly everyone got worried. Everyone got home alarm systems. Maybe we should lock our doors? Maybe we should not go out alone to the mall at nite? Maybe we should not go get fast food w/ our kids at nite. HELLO. Who do you think the thugs are looking for? I was so surprised that people were living lives like "crime can't happen in our upscale neighborhood."

So hey - I am glad all you newcomers lived in idyllic neighborhoods in NY/NJ/PA/wherever - and nothing ever happened worse than someone getting their lawn TP'd. I grew up where we were all fully aware that thugs target people "out in the boonies" b/c no one is around to see the crimes taking place. So we knew to always lock things, protect ourselves, not go out at nite, blah blah. Simple stuff but smart rules.

Have you all ever thought - that when you moved here and brought your attitude w/ you . . . this "crime can't happen in my safe neighborhood" - you created the very opportunities for the crime that is now taking place????

I am not saying our court systems have handled the situations correctly! And obviously - we need more LE - but that has definitely occurred b/c people have flooded into this region.

The criminals followed you guys. You have become easy pickin's.

We Southerners have guns and will shoot. Newcomers came and let's face it - most of you have never owned a gun and indeed, the big thing I heard in 2002 when I moved back was . . . "I am moving to CLT but I am scared to death b/c my children will be playing w/ natives and we all know you people down here are gun fanatics." So let's not be coy about it. The criminals have been observing and testing out the waters . . . and they figure it out!!! All these new subdivisions - full of newcomers - are also full of people who think crime can't happen there . . . and if it does . . . no consequences, cause no one owns a gun . . . and since LE is stretched . . . ain't no one showing up to haul someone off to the pokey . . .

My point is: Appears we have a crime wave w/ home break-ins here. How much have you contributed to that phenomena? And don't you think it is just a little disingenuous to be complaining about how "unsafe" it is here - when your habits and attitudes have directly contributed to the problem?

Old 04-01-2008, 10:41 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,671,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yeah, well the only thing about my world that involves "what if" is - What if I am not prepared to take care of myself and my family should something unexpected occur.
Yes, I live in that section of the "what if" world too as you know.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
There are no 'what ifs' when it comes to the level of savagery that can been done by the invaders. There are many fact based reported news stories, i'm sure you have read a few.
I am well versed of the threats illegal alien invaders impose on our nation. But you were taking a hoax story about MS-13 and then saying, "Well, it's possible the illegals could do it to." Well of course it's possible--just as possible as any white, black, or yellow thug. I'm not trying to take away from the seriousness of the increase in car jackings, but let's not sensationalize stories.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:51 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
No one is trying to deny that absurd crimes have happened in this region. However, what Loves is referring to as a hoax can indeed be read about on Snopes.com. I am not making judgment about what anyone has or has not heard. Nor am I able to track rumors vs. actual true crime stories that have taken place. I am just saying . . . facts can get mixed up w/ urban rumors when people are talking about "what has gone on."

And I am gonna say something now that is not going to be very popular on this forum, and I hesitate writing it . . . but here goes.

How many people who are so concerned w/ how bad the crime is here are natives as opposed to newcomers?

Cause here is the way it shakes out. The crazy crimes have escalated right along w/ the influx of newcomers.

Well, the newcomers are going to get angry w/ me but I hope you will at least think about this. We natives have been raised to assume a thug is gonna break in our houses. We have been raised as children to know that it doesn't matter how "nice" an area is . . . someone can trespass into our little world and attack us, rob us, rape us, maim us.

So we have never taken our safety for granted. We don't leave garage doors open, toys on the lawn, cars unlocked, etc. Now maybe this is not true for natives in CLT, but I was raised in the rural South, and we knew that we were ON OUR OWN to protect ourselves, b/c the Sheriff couldn't get there in time to do SQUAT.

When I moved to the midwest - people acted like crime had to happen in some other state, cause it surely would never happen in our upscale neighborhood. People left doors unlocked all nite . . .cars unlocked . . . etc. People shopped at the upscale mall at 8 pm. Then they were shocked their purses got snatched. People started complaining. Houses were getting broken into! Well, DUH. No one even locked the door b/n their garage and house. Suddenly everyone got worried. Everyone got home alarm systems. Maybe we should lock our doors? Maybe we should not go out alone to the mall at nite? Maybe we should not go get fast food w/ our kids at nite. HELLO. Who do you think the thugs are looking for? I was so surprised that people were living lives like "crime can't happen in our upscale neighborhood."

So hey - I am glad all you newcomers lived in idyllic neighborhoods in NY/NJ/PA/wherever - and nothing ever happened worse than someone getting their lawn TP'd. I grew up where we were all fully aware that thugs target people "out in the boonies" b/c no one is around to see the crimes taking place. So we knew to always lock things, protect ourselves, not go out at nite, blah blah. Simple stuff but smart rules.

Have you all ever thought - that when you moved here and brought your attitude w/ you . . . this "crime can't happen in my safe neighborhood" - you created the very opportunities for the crime that is now taking place????

I am not saying our court systems have handled the situations correctly! And obviously - we need more LE - but that has definitely occurred b/c people have flooded into this region.

We Southerners have guns and will shoot. Newcomers came and let's face it - most of you have never owned a gun and indeed, the big thing I heard in 2002 when I moved back was . . . "I am moving to CLT but I am scared to death b/c my children will be playing w/ natives and we all know you people down here are gun fanatics." So let's not be coy about it. The criminals have been observing and testing out the waters . . . and they figure it out!!! All these new subdivisions - full of newcomers - are also full of people who think crime can't happen there . . . and if it does . . . no consequences, cause no one owns a gun . . . and since LE is stretched . . . ain't no one showing up to haul someone off to the pokey . . .

My point is: Appears we have a crime wave w/ home break-ins here. How much have you contributed to that phenomena? And don't you think it is just a little disingenuous to be complaining about how "unsafe" it is here - when your habits and attitudes have directly contributed to the problem?
YOU ARE MY HERO ANI.

I have to completely agree with you. I also think that because we southerners have been raised with guns we feel more competant to protect ourselves than others who came from places where guns were not the norm. You are so on the money, but if anybody slams you I'll take the hit too.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Wow, ani... I can't give you enough kudos for that post. I'd give you 100 rep points if I could. There is so much truth with what you said, no matter how welcoming your words will not be to some. Here here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte