Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:58 AM

51 posts, read 142,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No one is trying to deny that absurd crimes have happened in this region. However, what Loves is referring to as a hoax can indeed be read about on Snopes.com. I am not making judgment about what anyone has or has not heard. Nor am I able to track rumors vs. actual true crime stories that have taken place. I am just saying . . . facts can get mixed up w/ urban rumors when people are talking about "what has gone on."

And I am gonna say something now that is not going to be very popular on this forum, and I hesitate writing it . . . but here goes.

How many people who are so concerned w/ how bad the crime is here are natives as opposed to newcomers?

Cause here is the way it shakes out. The crazy crimes have escalated right along w/ the influx of newcomers.

Hmmmmm. What does that say?

Well, the newcomers are going to get angry w/ me but I hope you will at least think about this. We natives have been raised to assume a thug is gonna break in our houses. We have been raised as children to know that it doesn't matter how "nice" an area is . . . someone can trespass into our little world and attack us, rob us, rape us, maim us.

So we have never taken our safety for granted. We don't leave garage doors open, toys on the lawn, cars unlocked, etc. Now maybe this is not true for natives in CLT, but I was raised in the rural South, and we knew that we were ON OUR OWN to protect ourselves, b/c the Sheriff couldn't get there in time to do SQUAT.

When I moved to the midwest - people acted like crime had to happen in some other state, cause it surely would never happen in our upscale neighborhood. People left doors unlocked all nite . . .cars unlocked . . . etc. People shopped at the upscale mall at 8 pm. Then they were shocked their purses got snatched. People started complaining. Houses were getting broken into! Well, DUH. No one even locked the door b/n their garage and house. Suddenly everyone got worried. Everyone got home alarm systems. Maybe we should lock our doors? Maybe we should not go out alone to the mall at nite? Maybe we should not go get fast food w/ our kids at nite. HELLO. Who do you think the thugs are looking for? I was so surprised that people were living lives like "crime can't happen in our upscale neighborhood."

So hey - I am glad all you newcomers lived in idyllic neighborhoods in NY/NJ/PA/wherever - and nothing ever happened worse than someone getting their lawn TP'd. I grew up where we were all fully aware that thugs target people "out in the boonies" b/c no one is around to see the crimes taking place. So we knew to always lock things, protect ourselves, not go out at nite, blah blah. Simple stuff but smart rules.

Have you all ever thought - that when you moved here and brought your attitude w/ you . . . this "crime can't happen in my safe neighborhood" - you created the very opportunities for the crime that is now taking place????

I am not saying our court systems have handled the situations correctly! And obviously - we need more LE - but that has definitely occurred b/c people have flooded into this region.

The criminals followed you guys. You have become easy pickin's.

We Southerners have guns and will shoot. Newcomers came and let's face it - most of you have never owned a gun and indeed, the big thing I heard in 2002 when I moved back was . . . "I am moving to CLT but I am scared to death b/c my children will be playing w/ natives and we all know you people down here are gun fanatics." So let's not be coy about it. The criminals have been observing and testing out the waters . . . and they figure it out!!! All these new subdivisions - full of newcomers - are also full of people who think crime can't happen there . . . and if it does . . . no consequences, cause no one owns a gun . . . and since LE is stretched . . . ain't no one showing up to haul someone off to the pokey . . .

My point is: Appears we have a crime wave w/ home break-ins here. How much have you contributed to that phenomena? And don't you think it is just a little disingenuous to be complaining about how "unsafe" it is here - when your habits and attitudes have directly contributed to the problem?
I'm going to have to say this is one of your less well-reasoned arguments - and I do recall you calling someone out for making 'generalizations'. But allow me to give a 'not necessarily representative counter-example': my neighborhood comprises 83 homes (the vast majority of which have lived here since the neighborhood's establishment in 1988-1992). The two homes broken into (confirmed through last night's community meeting) were two couples in their early 50s that have been life-long Carolinians and half-life Charlotteans. Is there anything to read from this? -- well, let's just say there are probably a lot of variables associated with these folks that mean more than their geographical history, and some dumb situational luck involved. What I do know is their attitude seemed straightforwardly commonsense and property-protection oriented.

1,242 posts, read 4,035,294 times
Default alf

I can see your point but as a newcomer that is bringing money to the area I would say as a group we would expect changes.

On top of that we have always had a gun just never had to use it and coming from a city we are all aware of our surroundings. I had to more then others for different family reasons but never once did I feel as unsafe as we do here. I don't think we brought the crime if you look back the police haven't been keeping people in jail or gathering up all the bad guys for quite some time. Crime breeds crime and there is no good infrastructure in place for the South Charlotte are.

If you going to say the newcomers form the north I have to say the southerners just don't realize how good it is in other places in regards to low suburb crime. You can actually go out at night by yourself and not worry..It does exist and you can drive nice cars and carry any purse you want without being robbed.

Again, we just have to agree to disagree but putting us all in one lump sum as northerners vs. southerners doesn't change anything or the fact that things are getting much worse here.

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondplayer View Post
Not quite the same? Do they carry a gun and wear a bullet proof vest? Are they sworn to uphold the law and put themselves in harms way to protect citizens? Sir, they are quite the same! Keep your guessing games to yourself and not tarnish others to promote your hoax theories.
moderator note:

Remember Debate ideas and not the members

Old 04-01-2008, 11:06 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddler52 View Post
I'm going to have to say this is one of your less well-reasoned arguments - and I do recall you calling someone out for making 'generalizations'. But allow me to give a 'not necessarily representative counter-example': my neighborhood comprises 83 homes (the vast majority of which have lived here since the neighborhood's establishment in 1988-1992). The two homes broken into (confirmed through last night's community meeting) were two couples in their early 50s that have been life-long Carolinians and half-life Charlotteans. Is there anything to read from this? -- well, let's just say there are probably a lot of variables associated with these folks that mean more than their geographical history, and some dumb situational luck involved. What I do know is their attitude seemed straightforwardly commonsense and property-protection oriented.
I think you may have misunderstood...I do not believe Ani is claiming that if you do all the proactive things you should (lock your doors, leave your garage door down, don't leave things in your car, etc...) that you will NEVER be a crime victim. OF COURSE any one of us could become a crime victim at any time. She just means you greatly reduce your chances of being a victim if you do the things you can to protect yourself and your property. Many people come here with the mindset that this is Mayberry and don't take the personal responsibility for themselves and their property that they should.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:12 AM

51 posts, read 142,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think you may have misunderstood...I do not believe Ani is claiming that if you do all the proactive things you should (lock your doors, leave your garage door down, don't leave things in your car, etc...) that you will NEVER be a crime victim. OF COURSE any one of us could become a crime victim at any time. She just means you greatly reduce your chances of being a victim if you do the things you can to protect yourself and your property. Many people come here with the mindset that this is Mayberry and don't take the personal responsibility for themselves and their property that they should.
With all due respect, I'm not sure we understood her posting in the same way. The overarching theme seemed to be the correlation (or cause-effect, depending on your interpretation) btw the crime and the influx of non-native Carolinians/Charlotteans (that brought a certain less-vigilant attitude and then complain about crime when it happens).

Old 04-01-2008, 11:13 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,926 times
If the intent of the original poster was to make everyone aware that crime is spreading even into the burbs of Union County, and, that residents need to be careful, then I can consider it as a "point taken". However it quickly developed into 'did you hear..." or "I heard..." scenarios which rapidly get out of control, and can be very harmful.

No, it's not enough to simply say "trust me", as far as I'm concerned I need credible proof, show me a posting on a police web-site, an article from a major media outlet, etc. Asking for you to simply backup your story doesn't equate to being delusional about crime, it's attempting to separate the facts from those with an alternate agenda to push.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:14 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
I know what you are saying. Just b/c someone has been here for decades or hasn't been here is not the point. And I also agree w/ you that this is not one of my typically well supported debates, LOL (and thank you for noting that! and you are right to call me out for "generalizations," as well.)

At this point, we are all at risk for these crimes. But when did it all escalate? And WHY?

Sociologists will say - economic situations, kids out of control, absent parents, etc. etc. But I am saying: criminals saw an opportunity and that opportunity arose b/c naive people moved here w/ an attitude that things were safe b/c they bought in new, pristine neighborhoods.

Of course that is a generalization. Totally. And something I cannot substantiate. But think about it. People brought their habits w/ them. Criminals noted that it was getting easier and easier to quickly break into and get away from houses. Plus, they noted that no one was going to fire at them.

And of course - not all "northerners" have this attitude - and indeed, not only northerners have this attitude. My son lives in CHI and his neighbors basically have the same attitude - "crime can't happen here in my neighborhood" - and I also noted - that seemed to be the attitude when I lived in the midwest. Plus, my CHI son's neighbors have the same attitude my midwestern neighbors had (and that I heard expressed w/ great concern over and over when I moved back here) - that Southerners have guns and this concerns others - as they basically do not "advocate" gun ownership (basically - they have never seen a need for it - cops will come and assist).

I am saying . . . this crime situation has been an evolution, and part of it is b/c people have moved here w/ a naive attitude . . . and have been vulnerable to the machinations of a criminal element who has been watching the situation - and they have gotten increasingly brazen b/c no one is doing anything to stop them. That includes PREPARATION. Yeah, now everyone is talking about alarm systems! But remember just a few months ago - when people were posting that they were "turned off" when they rode thru/ neighborhoods and saw "alarm system installed" signs? Newcomers said - this makes them feel that it must be a "high crime" area.

So yes, generalizations - but anyone else have a better explanation? Who is the most outraged? Natives who are not surprised b/c we saw it coming? Or newcomers who thought they were replicating their "old neighborhoods" and so have made themselves vulnerable by not following common sense rules about how they conduct their lives?

At some point, criminals figure things out - and then we all have to be on our toes. So yes, the crime is happening all over . . . but how did these thugs get the idea that they can get away w/ the crime so easily? Now this is NOT speculation: TRIAL and ERROR. They got away with it. They continue to get away with it. Now what does that tell you?

I agree - court system has responsibility w/ a revolving door policy. But the newcomers now outnumber the natives - so if you all want new people in city and county positions - vote for them!!! Educate yourselves and vote!

Other than that . . . get tough on crime - don't make yourselves vulnerable - don't assume someone is gonna rescue you. Cause they won't.

Did you know the average burglary lasts less than 10 minutes? Now how many of you expect your LE to get there in less time than that?

Old 04-01-2008, 11:18 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
With all due respect, I'm not sure we understood her posting in the same way. The overarching theme seemed to be the correlation (or cause-effect, depending on your interpretation) btw the crime and the influx of non-native Carolinians/Charlotteans (that brought a certain less-vigilant attitude and then complain about crime when it happens).
We apparently did not understand her posting in the same way

I don't think Ani is trying to place blame on newcomers for the increase in crime at all. She is saying that newcomers don't realize that all this influx of people in upper middle to upper income brackets attracts a certain criminal element, and that if they understood this they would take more precautions to prevent themselves from ever being a victim. Southerners in general have an engrained mentality that we need to take care of ourselves and our neighbors, we don't wait for some police force or governmental agency to do it. Like she said, we have guns and we know how to use them. This is a foreign concept to some people coming from other parts of the country.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:20 AM

232 posts, read 728,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
So in this media frenzy town,in which *everything* gets reported, where is the charlotte.com article or the TV related story, particularly in a sleepy village like Wesley Chapel. This incident and the letter has been making rounds since last week last Wednesday and there's been no big media follow up? Even the guy at crimeincharlotte.com had to edit some stuff out on some of the responses.

Incidentally, I heard a variant of this story in that the carjacking took place in the Village of Wesley Chapel shopping parking lot (the same place of the Chinese Restaurant).

Also the whole Mexican gang initiation thing is soooooo played out, I really wish someone would have enough creativity to come up with another scare tactic that was more original. This is a variant of the Memphis,TN MS-13 initiations in which they were targeting black women in Target and Walmart parking lots.
MS-13 is now also all over the streets of East Boston and the North Shore according to this website
Illegal Immigration ALIPAC - MS-13 Members Gang Rape Two Deaf Teens (Incident #7)

Old 04-01-2008, 11:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
If the intent of the original poster was to make everyone aware that crime is spreading even into the burbs of Union County, and, that residents need to be careful, then I can consider it as a "point taken". However it quickly developed into 'did you hear..." or "I heard..." scenarios which rapidly get out of control, and can be very harmful.

No, it's not enough to simply say "trust me", as far as I'm concerned I need credible proof, show me a posting on a police web-site, an article from a major media outlet, etc. Asking for you to simply backup your story doesn't equate to being delusional about crime, it's attempting to separate the facts from those with an alternate agenda to push.
YOU MAKE VERY GOOD POINTS IN WHAT WILL KEEP THIS THREAD OPEN .
THANK YOU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte