Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 11:56 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Actually, I know Ani and I DO think she would speak these words in person

You seem to think she has said something rude or inappropriate?
ROFL!!! I am confused as to why PCR thinks I have said something that is inappropriate or - I don't know - horribly politically incorrect? This is the New South . . . let's be honest. Things have changed as our city has changed. Crime is one of the things that has changed!

I am not blaming newcomers!!! But I am saying - newcomers have often brought an attitude that is unrealistic FOR CHARLOTTE. (May have been totally on target to feel safe in NJ/NY/PA/FL/IL/OH, etc) And now they are complaining when they have helped create the problem by being vulnerable to crime (whether personal crime or home break-ins). I am sorry if that is politically incorrect to say. It is still the truth.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:05 PM

743 posts, read 2,243,911 times
This is nothing at all new to me and I come from North of Baltimore. MS-13 was highly recognized in Baltimore and by the time I moved, they were coming out into the rural area. As far as home invasions and car break ins, again widely publicized in my area in MD. I agree about owning a gun but my dh will not allow me because I will not hesitate to use it, sometimes even when I shouldn't so he won't let me get one. But of course if you flaunt it, others will come and try to take it.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:09 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,784,493 times
I never heard of MS-13 until I went on this site. I lead a very sheltered life. I am certainly getting an education here. It is very sad that we have to live such guarded lives .

Last edited by ssd3; 04-01-2008 at 12:27 PM..

Old 04-01-2008, 12:15 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,494,901 times
ani - I'm going to agree with you also, even if it's not the most popular viewpoint ever seen on the Charlotte City-Data forum.

As many of you know, I'm originally from NJ - Paterson to be exact. Paterson and most NJ cities are not exactly known for being the greatest places in the NE to live - not by a long shot! Many of my friends urged me to move years ago from there. Where I grew up, it was considered to be the "good part" of town to live in. I had a very "Leave It to Beaver" childhood.

The downtown of Paterson as well as many of the other large NJ cities are what I would deem "Classic Northeastern Slums. Rents in these areas are extremely high by Charlotte standards. Would you consider $1800 a month for a two bedroom roach infected apartment in an area that would make Baghdad look "upscale" cheap? I think not! Many of those inhabitants took their Section 8 money and headed for greener pastures. Charlotte happens to be one of the greener pastures.

Not everyone who moved down here, is a soccer mom or latte-drinking, Volvo/Lexus driving, South Park-shopping, BofA or Wachovia executive type that seems to be the "image" of the "New Charlottean". Along with the good, has come the bad!

Those people who thought Charlotte was a "Giant Family-Sized Marvelous Metro Mayberry" both native and newcomer are probably in for a rude awakening in the long run. Andy and Barney and Mayberry have become 60's anachronisms that only really "existed" on the Desilu back lot. Reality does bite!

As much as I hate to admit it, ani may be on to something with her perception of a crime increase with the influx of newcomers to the Charlotte Metro area. How it deals with it in the coming years, will be one of the most important determinants of the area's future success!

Old 04-01-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
This is nothing at all new to me and I come from North of Baltimore. MS-13 was highly recognized in Baltimore and by the time I moved, they were coming out into the rural area. As far as home invasions and car break ins, again widely publicized in my area in MD. I agree about owning a gun but my dh will not allow me because I will not hesitate to use it, sometimes even when I shouldn't so he won't let me get one. But of course if you flaunt it, others will come and try to take it.
Crime is everywhere. It is not just CLT - thank you for weighing in and stating that.

And yes, if you don't feel comfortable w/ a gun, you definitely should NOT have one!!!! I did not have a firearm in the house when the kids were young b/c I just didn't want the responsibility of having it there. This is a very personal decision. The hope is - one never has to think about using a gun to protect one's property.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:20 PM

810 posts, read 2,293,091 times
From the wife---ani-I usually enjoy your posts and have great respect for your opinions but I have to say that I am getting tired of the north/south thing(and it's not just from you). I disagree that ppl should not drive fancy cars, wear their diamonds and carry expensive handbags. If you can afford those things isn't that what makes the world go around. Diamonds are a girls best friend. And I as a NJ gal am guilty of those things but I do watch my surroundings and we are very open to our elementary child about crime and what happens. IMO it's not the north coming down here that brought this crime. I believe poor planning by the developers and local govts.is a major issue. And yes we can not be naive and think it won't happen to us b/c we live in the nice development or our grocery store is in a great area. We have driven thru the so-called poor sections of Charlotte. Those areas have been here for a long time way before"us" NJ, NY people have come down here. I think part of the problem is that the criminals realize the lack of law enforcement and that's why they are doing what their doing. But to blame it on the transplants is wrong. I'm used to paying very high taxes if that's what is going to help law enforcement stop all these crimes then so be it raise my taxes to hire law enforcement. BTW, I don't understand why so many locals get ticked if you say where your from. When someone asks your heritage I am proud to say I am Irish and Italian what's so wrong w/ saying your from NY or NJ? I realize some ppl can be annoying and always go to an extreme. But I had the upbringing to be proud of where you came from and I am. BTW, how long do you have to live here to call yourself a local? Ani again I always appreciate what you have to say and I am not picking on you and I hope one time to go out w/ the women to meet you...I can only hope the criminals get what's coming to them and for me it's not jail -it's something much more darker than jail and alot warmer if you know what I mean.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
ani - I'm going to agree with you also, even if it's not the most popular viewpoint ever seen on the Charlotte City-Data forum.

As many of you know, I'm originally from NJ - Paterson to be exact. Paterson and most NJ cities are not exactly known for being the greatest places in the NE to live - not by a long shot! Many of my friends urged me to move years ago from there. Where I grew up, it was considered to be the "good part" of town to live in. I had a very "Leave It to Beaver" childhood.

The downtown of Paterson as well as many of the other large NJ cities are what I would deem "Classic Northeastern Slums. Rents in these areas are extremely high by Charlotte standards. Would you consider $1800 a month for a two bedroom roach infected apartment in an area that would make Baghdad look "upscale" cheap? I think not! Many of those inhabitants took their Section 8 money and headed for greener pastures. Charlotte happens to be one of the greener pastures.

Not everyone who moved down here, is a soccer mom or latte-drinking, Volvo/Lexus driving, South Park-shopping, BofA or Wachovia executive type that seems to be the "image" of the "New Charlottean". Along with the good, has come the bad!

Those people who thought Charlotte was a "Giant Family-Sized Marvelous Metro Mayberry" both native and newcomer are probably in for a rude awakening in the long run. Andy and Barney and Mayberry have become 60's anachronisms that only really "existed" on the Desilu back lot. Reality does bite!

As much as I hate to admit it, ani may be on to something with her perception of a crime increase with the influx of newcomers to the Charlotte Metro area. How it deals with it in the coming years, will be one of the most important determinants of the area's future success!
Em, thank you so much for writing this. I truly did not mean to offend newcomers, but I do hope newcomers take heed and realize living here is like living in any other CITY.

We are seeing a crime wave that involves arrogant, brazen thugs who seem to know no fear. I think they are fearless b/c they have figured out that no one is gonna do anything!!!! That includes LE - cause they cannot possibly get on the scene in time to do a thing!!!!

And these guys trying to get women to pull over in cars . .. that is outrageous, too! They are picking on people who seem vulnerable - women w/ children . . . low traffic street at nite . . . now that is heinous.

Until we get these creeps into the penal system . . . I am sorry to say it - but I will continue to say it (this is the advice I give my own DS!!!!) Do not take chances! Do not put yourselves in vulnerable positions! Pretend you are living in NYC, LA, CHI, MIA, ATL - wherever!!!!!

If this advice makes me sound unwelcoming or comes over as politically incorrect, I am sorry for offending anyone, but I am not sorry for stating my opinion. DO NOT MAKE YOURSELF (or your home) A TARGET.

I remember on another thread - someone posted (paraphrased) "Why should I have to keep my blinds closed so some thief can't see my plasma TV?"

HELLO!!!!! Drive by my house. I have a Georgian home and would prefer NO BLINDS at all - as that is true 18th C design. I love open windows!!! But I have blinds cause I don't want you to SEE IN MY HOUSE. And I do not even own a plasma tv!!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 12:27 PM

716 posts, read 2,159,256 times
I think the only thing I disagree with in ani's post is her division between newcomers and natives...

I think the line is more subtle: it's just how you were raised, no matter where you were raised.

My parents were born and bred New Yorkers, and we grew up in lovely, peaceful, suburban NJ. However, we never stopped being vigilant: lock the doors every night, lock up the cars, don't leave anything valuable in sight, etc. My parents taught me and my sisters how to not make yourselves a victim: always be skeptical, walk with confidence and awareness of your surroundings, and protect what you own. I protect my home and my family the same way here as I did there. And it was my experience that everyone from that area lived similarly.

Meanwhile, I've seen more than my share of naivete from my native Charlottean friends. A woman who worked for me probably 8 years ago had her car stolen at a gas station in South Park because she left the keys in the car while she went in the store to get cigarettes. Duh. I know people who never lock their doors, people who leave their purse or their cell phone just sitting in the passenger seat of the car, people who are just far too trusting. On and on...and these are the natives!

I have found that people who are not from Charlotte, per se, and are from small rural towns are as ani described are much more alike in my "city" attitude. But I think it's unfair to draw the lines based on where you're from; I think it's all a matter of how you're taught.

That said, where I grew up was safe, like ani said, because we were vigilant. The criminals are going to go where the targets are easy. I don't think you can't have nice things; I think you can just not be stupid about it.

Ani, I think you're not a materialistic person, and I think you have a fundamental, "Why do people need those things at all?" mentality. (FWIW, I'm with you, but to each his/her own...) That's going to offend those people to whom nice cars and high fashion clothing and expensive jewelry are important, when you say that they make themselves victims just by having them.

You can have them. Just don't be surprised when someone covets them; know you'll have to protect them, and then do so.

Also, my husband said he was getting a gun, and I must have frowned at him, so he said he's going to at least get an aluminum baseball bat.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:34 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,166,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
I think the only thing I disagree with in ani's post is her division between newcomers and natives...

I think the line is more subtle: it's just how you were raised, no matter where you were raised.

My parents were born and bred New Yorkers, and we grew up in lovely, peaceful, suburban NJ. However, we never stopped being vigilant: lock the doors every night, lock up the cars, don't leave anything valuable in sight, etc. My parents taught me and my sisters how to not make yourselves a victim: always be skeptical, walk with confidence and awareness of your surroundings, and protect what you own. I protect my home and my family the same way here as I did there. And it was my experience that everyone from that area lived similarly.

Meanwhile, I've seen more than my share of naivete from my native Charlottean friends. A woman who worked for me probably 8 years ago had her car stolen at a gas station in South Park because she left the keys in the car while she went in the store to get cigarettes. Duh. I know people who never lock their doors, people who leave their purse or their cell phone just sitting in the passenger seat of the car, people who are just far too trusting. On and on...and these are the natives!

I have found that people who are not from Charlotte, per se, and are from small rural towns are as ani described are much more alike in my "city" attitude. But I think it's unfair to draw the lines based on where you're from; I think it's all a matter of how you're taught.

That said, where I grew up was safe, like ani said, because we were vigilant. The criminals are going to go where the targets are easy. I don't think you can't have nice things; I think you can just not be stupid about it.

Ani, I think you're not a materialistic person, and I think you have a fundamental, "Why do people need those things at all?" mentality. (FWIW, I'm with you, but to each his/her own...) That's going to offend those people to whom nice cars and high fashion clothing and expensive jewelry are important, when you say that they make themselves victims just by having them.

You can have them. Just don't be surprised when someone covets them; know you'll have to protect them, and then do so.

Also, my husband said he was getting a gun, and I must have frowned at him, so he said he's going to at least get an aluminum baseball bat.
Aluminum is better, wood tends to splinter....aluminum also is lighter hence better bat speed.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
moderator note:
We all agreed to terms of service upon registering.
The endless banter he said she said, my city crime is better than yours and made up crime without statistical facts, flaming and hijacking the thread (anything off topic) will not be tolerated.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte