Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2008, 08:39 AM

549 posts, read 1,741,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
I'm still very excited at the prospect of moving to CLT.
You guys are all so nice up there. I have lived in my condo here for 6 years,
and still don't know my neighbors.
That's just condo life. Anytime people live that close to one another they tend to keep to themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 09:35 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
That's just condo life. Anytime people live that close to one another they tend to keep to themselves.
Oh, I don't know . . . I leased a condo for 9 months while on job assignment, and I knew everyone around me and was quickly included in various circles, invited in for drinks, dinner, and meals out . . . and not just in my particular building - there were 3 buildings and I found people to be very friendly and accommodating in all three buildings. Did a LOT of socializing. Of course, this was in western NC but the residents were from all over, not just NC. In fact, a lot of Floridians and NJ people . . . very friendly people/situation.

I actually assumed people were so friendly because it was a condo rather than single family housing . . . and we all "ran into each other" often - easy to start conversations . . . but then . . . I am the type to offer to help you carry your groceries, walk w/ you when you are out w/ your dog, etc. You would have to be very rude to me for me to think you are anti-social.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:01 AM

876 posts, read 3,793,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh, I don't know . . . I leased a condo for 9 months while on job assignment, and I knew everyone around me and was quickly included in various circles, invited in for drinks, dinner, and meals out . . . and not just in my particular building - there were 3 buildings and I found people to be very friendly and accommodating in all three buildings. Did a LOT of socializing.
yeah, im gonna side with you Ani. We own a rental condo in Cornelius and even when we bought it and went in to renovate it, all the neighbors came over and introduced themselves. Even my tenants have commented on how nice the neighbors are. Even to the point that they want to enter a lease with the option to buy now. Woohoo!

Old 07-19-2008, 10:40 AM

392 posts, read 1,184,024 times
New Charlottean, it is not that NC is collecting something FL isn't collecting... it is just that the process for doing same is, in a sense, just a bit more invisible to the individual.

On a state level in FL, much of the lack of state income tax stems from the benefits of the tourism industry. Tourists essentially were paying your state income tax for you (and me). . There is a 6% sales tax on hotel, motel, RV parks and campgrounds, apartment/condo leases less than 6 months, and trailer parks under certain circumstances.

Then, on a more local level, to offset the the lack of trickle down of individual state income tax to localities, there have been created other tourist and accomodations taxes, discretionary sales taxes, business development taxes, etc imposed by those localities. Additionally, Florida also has very hefty impact fee programs in each county, applicable to all new construction and, I believe it to be the case that millage rates affecting property taxes are very often much higher in FL counties than in counties in states that do have an individual state income tax.

It was fun while it lasted (living in FL and not paying state income tax)!

Last edited by AmericanRoadGirl; 07-19-2008 at 11:12 AM..

Old 07-19-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
yeah, im gonna side with you Ani. We own a rental condo in Cornelius and even when we bought it and went in to renovate it, all the neighbors came over and introduced themselves. Even my tenants have commented on how nice the neighbors are. Even to the point that they want to enter a lease with the option to buy now. Woohoo!
You go, Supercharged!!! How 'bout that. People are having difficulty selling property (well, many people are) . . . but you must have done it right!!!! And the neighbors must be a great group of people . . . for your tenants to want to own the condo! Sounds like you made a very wise investment . . . and must be a super landlord, as well.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:10 PM

174 posts, read 477,391 times
I find it impossible to believe people from the north, and i assume as always this is the direction that this rant is focused on, that anyone would complain about rising taxes. 1st off, if anyone from ny, nj, ct complains, they are *******s. You are talking about people whose yearly taxes range from $6000 up to $13000 depending on a variety of things. My taxes were raised last year from 2400 to 2435, my reaction.....i love it...great...keep raising me 35 a year. who has actually complained to you??????? i understand locals complaining, and they have a legitimate gripe, but they are the only ones. the reason taxes are rising is because of the influx of newcomers. They as well as myself have got to understand that.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:14 PM

285 posts, read 1,072,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanRoadGirl View Post
New Charlottean, it is not that NC is collecting something FL isn't collecting... it is just that the process for doing same is, in a sense, just a bit more invisible to the individual.

On a state level in FL, much of the lack of state income tax stems from the benefits of the tourism industry. Tourists essentially were paying your state income tax for you (and me). . There is a 6% sales tax on hotel, motel, RV parks and campgrounds, apartment/condo leases less than 6 months, and trailer parks under certain circumstances.

Then, on a more local level, to offset the the lack of trickle down of individual state income tax to localities, there have been created other tourist and accomodations taxes, discretionary sales taxes, business development taxes, etc imposed by those localities. Additionally, Florida also has very hefty impact fee programs in each county, applicable to all new construction and, I believe it to be the case that millage rates affecting property taxes are very often much higher in FL counties than in counties in states that do have an individual state income tax.

It was fun while it lasted (living in FL and not paying state income tax)!
That makes sense. And I just remember the tolls, the TOLLS! Have you driven in Miami or Orlando? I remember having a $50 bill monthly for tolls for hubby when he was working!

Old 07-19-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytarheel View Post
I find it impossible to believe people from the north, and i assume as always this is the direction that this rant is focused on, that anyone would complain about rising taxes. 1st off, if anyone from ny, nj, ct complains, they are *******s. You are talking about people whose yearly taxes range from $6000 up to $13000 depending on a variety of things. My taxes were raised last year from 2400 to 2435, my reaction.....i love it...great...keep raising me 35 a year. who has actually complained to you??????? i understand locals complaining, and they have a legitimate gripe, but they are the only ones. the reason taxes are rising is because of the influx of newcomers. They as well as myself have got to understand that.
Jay, no one has complained to me. Well, some natives have complained that their taxes are going up and I understand that. This post, wh/ I started weeks ago, was written after watching the news one evening (local) and several people (all from other states who had moved here) were on camera complaining about their taxes going up. One woman even went so far as to state that she had moved here to get away from taxes and now her taxes were going up and she was so disgusted. And I sat there and thought - well, hello! You moved here and put yet one more bit of strain on the system! So now we need to raise taxes b/c our infrastructure is strained - and you are complaining . . . . ?????? My DH actually laughed out loud at this lady's rant b/c we just couldn't believe she had the audacity to complain when she is probably paying 1/2 what she paid in her previous home . . . In fact, we kinda thought the local news station put her segment in b/c it was sooooo absurd - her attitude.

So no, I am not complaining. I am a native, but having lived in the midwest b/f moving here - my tax rate was almost identical to CLT's so I felt my taxes were fair there and feel they are fair here.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:23 PM

743 posts, read 2,243,747 times
I am paying exactly the same as I was before I moved and am quite content. I understand taxes go up, they go up everywhere. Those from NY, NJ should know that as obviously they have been through it before.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:32 AM

174 posts, read 477,391 times
Ani, my comments were for the original poster, at the time of my posting, that was the only post i read!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte