U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2009, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
8 posts, read 30,148 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

I have lived in Charlotte for a little over a year now and have not been impressed with the quality or work done locally. Whenever I have had work done in the past (all out of this state), I have researched an artist and have been willing to pay good money for good work. From what I see here, a lot of people go out to the cheapest shop, pick something off the wall and have it slapped on them in a few minutes. I am not speaking for the entire city- BUT that is what I have encountered to date.

As far as how other people accept tattoos, some love them and, being in the "bible belt south", some are disgusted by them. I have a lot of people look down on me because of my work while I'm in public. On the other hand, not a day goes by that I don't have someone come up to me and grab my arm(s) and ask me where I got my work done.

Charlotte quality: poor
Charlotte acceptance: average

I have some friends up in Ashville and have heard that it is more accepted there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2009, 01:19 PM
 
11,770 posts, read 18,379,011 times
Reputation: 2673
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Nice work, Owl!

Tom Michaels at Fu's did my work:
That's a great old school sleeve!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 07:37 PM
 
4,779 posts, read 4,029,723 times
Reputation: 2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloKnowsAll View Post
I have lived in Charlotte for a little over a year now and have not been impressed with the quality or work done locally. Whenever I have had work done in the past (all out of this state), I have researched an artist and have been willing to pay good money for good work. From what I see here, a lot of people go out to the cheapest shop, pick something off the wall and have it slapped on them in a few minutes. I am not speaking for the entire city- BUT that is what I have encountered to date.

As far as how other people accept tattoos, some love them and, being in the "bible belt south", some are disgusted by them. I have a lot of people look down on me because of my work while I'm in public. On the other hand, not a day goes by that I don't have someone come up to me and grab my arm(s) and ask me where I got my work done.

Charlotte quality: poor
Charlotte acceptance: average

I have some friends up in Ashville and have heard that it is more accepted there as well.
So you think the work that 'Owl and I have shown here is poor quality? I would love to see what you think average or good quality is, then! Perhaps you could share some pics of the work you've had done?

I didn't pick a single image on my half-sleeve off the wall, and I don't think 'Owl did either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 07:57 PM
 
11,770 posts, read 18,379,011 times
Reputation: 2673
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I didn't pick a single image on my half-sleeve off the wall, and I don't think 'Owl did either...
All my pieces were custom ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 08:11 PM
 
4,779 posts, read 4,029,723 times
Reputation: 2048
I can tell. It's great stuff!

I like the toucan and the nautical flags, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 08:24 PM
 
11,770 posts, read 18,379,011 times
Reputation: 2673
Thanks! The hardest part other than initially choosing the pieces is finding an artist with enough vision to tie them all together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 08:36 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
6,766 posts, read 7,835,250 times
Reputation: 6306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Thanks! The hardest part other than initially choosing the pieces is finding an artist with enough vision to tie them all together.
They look kinda Rockabilly, the one does anyways. i think they look really nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2009, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
8 posts, read 30,148 times
Reputation: 16
I didn't see your post when I was putting mine up... I stand corrected. You have some very nice traditional work! By far some of the best I've seen locally. I'm not saying there isn't good work from Charlotte, I m just saying I haven't seen any (until now).

I'll have to check out the shop you go to as I'm getting that itch for more work myself.

Thank you for you post- I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
So you think the work that 'Owl and I have shown here is poor quality? I would love to see what you think average or good quality is, then! Perhaps you could share some pics of the work you've had done?

I didn't pick a single image on my half-sleeve off the wall, and I don't think 'Owl did either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 05:47 AM
 
4,779 posts, read 4,029,723 times
Reputation: 2048
Thanks. Sorry if my post sounded defensive. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and what pleases me may not please you (or the next guy in line). I'm just always on the look out for new tattoo art, and if you had some high quality stuff to share I was all for seeing it!

Fu's and Immortal are both very safe bets for quality work (as well as others, I'm sure). Be aware that Fu's moved from N. Tryon out to NoDa (on N Davidson St, near the corner of 35th St, IIRC).

Good luck with your next piece and show us some pics when it's done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2009, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Ayrsley
4,621 posts, read 5,178,471 times
Reputation: 3604
How are the artists at Fu's (or the few other places mentioned) at helping you put together a custom design? I have a few design "concepts" in mind for my next tattoo, but given that a 5-year old would laugh at the poor quality of my stick figure drawings, I need someone to help me get the initial design drawn out to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top