Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:44 AM

8 posts, read 39,940 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Charlotte for a little over a year now and have not been impressed with the quality or work done locally. Whenever I have had work done in the past (all out of this state), I have researched an artist and have been willing to pay good money for good work. From what I see here, a lot of people go out to the cheapest shop, pick something off the wall and have it slapped on them in a few minutes. I am not speaking for the entire city- BUT that is what I have encountered to date.

As far as how other people accept tattoos, some love them and, being in the "bible belt south", some are disgusted by them. I have a lot of people look down on me because of my work while I'm in public. On the other hand, not a day goes by that I don't have someone come up to me and grab my arm(s) and ask me where I got my work done.

Charlotte quality: poor
Charlotte acceptance: average

I have some friends up in Ashville and have heard that it is more accepted there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 12:19 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Nice work, Owl!

Tom Michaels at Fu's did my work:
That's a great old school sleeve!

Old 06-26-2009, 06:37 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloKnowsAll View Post
I have lived in Charlotte for a little over a year now and have not been impressed with the quality or work done locally. Whenever I have had work done in the past (all out of this state), I have researched an artist and have been willing to pay good money for good work. From what I see here, a lot of people go out to the cheapest shop, pick something off the wall and have it slapped on them in a few minutes. I am not speaking for the entire city- BUT that is what I have encountered to date.

As far as how other people accept tattoos, some love them and, being in the "bible belt south", some are disgusted by them. I have a lot of people look down on me because of my work while I'm in public. On the other hand, not a day goes by that I don't have someone come up to me and grab my arm(s) and ask me where I got my work done.

Charlotte quality: poor
Charlotte acceptance: average

I have some friends up in Ashville and have heard that it is more accepted there as well.
So you think the work that 'Owl and I have shown here is poor quality? I would love to see what you think average or good quality is, then! Perhaps you could share some pics of the work you've had done?

I didn't pick a single image on my half-sleeve off the wall, and I don't think 'Owl did either...

Old 06-26-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I didn't pick a single image on my half-sleeve off the wall, and I don't think 'Owl did either...
All my pieces were custom ones.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:11 PM

I can tell. It's great stuff!

I like the toucan and the nautical flags, too.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:24 PM

Thanks! The hardest part other than initially choosing the pieces is finding an artist with enough vision to tie them all together.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:36 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,548,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Thanks! The hardest part other than initially choosing the pieces is finding an artist with enough vision to tie them all together.
They look kinda Rockabilly, the one does anyways. i think they look really nice

Old 06-28-2009, 05:53 PM

8 posts, read 39,940 times
I didn't see your post when I was putting mine up... I stand corrected. You have some very nice traditional work! By far some of the best I've seen locally. I'm not saying there isn't good work from Charlotte, I m just saying I haven't seen any (until now).

I'll have to check out the shop you go to as I'm getting that itch for more work myself.

Thank you for you post- I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

Quote:
So you think the work that 'Owl and I have shown here is poor quality? I would love to see what you think average or good quality is, then! Perhaps you could share some pics of the work you've had done?

Old 06-29-2009, 04:47 AM

Thanks. Sorry if my post sounded defensive. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and what pleases me may not please you (or the next guy in line). I'm just always on the look out for new tattoo art, and if you had some high quality stuff to share I was all for seeing it!

Fu's and Immortal are both very safe bets for quality work (as well as others, I'm sure). Be aware that Fu's moved from N. Tryon out to NoDa (on N Davidson St, near the corner of 35th St, IIRC).

Good luck with your next piece and show us some pics when it's done!

Old 07-01-2009, 07:14 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,024 times
How are the artists at Fu's (or the few other places mentioned) at helping you put together a custom design? I have a few design "concepts" in mind for my next tattoo, but given that a 5-year old would laugh at the poor quality of my stick figure drawings, I need someone to help me get the initial design drawn out to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte