Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:28 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,592,919 times

Advertisements

I closed in October on a beautiful home in Cureton (Waxhaw) which is a fabulous community in a wonderful area with great neighbors. I am fortunate in that I am living in Long Island New York and therefore do not need to work in Charlotte. The home will eventually be for retirement..or perhaps a few tradeups from now til then. For those of you concerned with the housing market, I would suggest you check out Trulia.com where you can see current homes on the market, recently sold homes and some stats on where prices are (both sales and list prices). As I said I am lucky that I can put money into my home as time goes on and enjoy it when I can get down there. I love Charlotte and I think if you have so many positive things going for you, then we should all count our blessings. And for those who are hurting right now, the rest of us should encourage and help in whatever way we can. Happy New Year to all......

Old 01-02-2009, 12:45 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,700,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
I closed in October on a beautiful home in Cureton (Waxhaw) which is a fabulous community in a wonderful area with great neighbors. I am fortunate in that I am living in Long Island New York and therefore do not need to work in Charlotte. The home will eventually be for retirement..or perhaps a few tradeups from now til then. For those of you concerned with the housing market, I would suggest you check out Trulia.com where you can see current homes on the market, recently sold homes and some stats on where prices are (both sales and list prices). As I said I am lucky that I can put money into my home as time goes on and enjoy it when I can get down there. I love Charlotte and I think if you have so many positive things going for you, then we should all count our blessings. And for those who are hurting right now, the rest of us should encourage and help in whatever way we can. Happy New Year to all......
I congratulate you on your plan but would caution people using Trulia as you suggested. I think their data is based on something that has something to do with the earth, sun and moon being in alignment or some other funny kinds of mining for data.

I have looked on their site for three (3) houses that I have bought and flipped. In every case their information was in left field .

Old 01-02-2009, 02:19 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,592,919 times
I am not suggesting that Trulia or any other website is the final answer to the state of the current housing market, all I am saying is that some people seem to want to focus on all things negative, and to be perfectly honest, the real estate market in Charlotte is not so bad based on my experience in NY and especially on Long Island. My home would have sold for double what I paid for it and no matter how one wants to look at it..Charlotte is a beautiful area with great people (especially here on CD)and I would be thrilled and honored to move here permanantly.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:46 PM

171 posts, read 272,134 times
400 people getting laid off at Edc plant in Kings Mtn:
EDC to close Kings Mountain plant - Charlotte Business Journal:

Old 01-03-2009, 04:40 AM

Default Yelling "Fire" in a movie theatre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clavoski View Post
400 people getting laid off at Edc plant in Kings Mtn:
EDC to close Kings Mountain plant - Charlotte Business Journal:
The OP's thread is "Don't buy in Charlotte", so I suppose this is the reason you posted this link. Why would a plant closing, one that produces cd's, whose sales are on the decline in EVERY part of the world due to downloadable music, have anything to do with a discussion that began with "Charlotte is a dying city"? I'm not being a wise guy. . . only trying to see how other mines work.

je

Old 01-03-2009, 06:07 AM

645 posts, read 909,591 times
I wouldn't say Charlotte is a dying city. Some cities have been hit harder by the recession. YES, RECESSION. Miami, Las Vegas and other real estate boom cities are in trouble. I sold a house in Ft. Lauderdale in April. I was lucky, but if I had sold the year prior I would have profited another $100,000+. Oh well, I still made a profit, and I sold! Friends down there still have their homes for sale after a year. They are now renting. I was just down there and the amount of empty houses is phenomenal. Short sales on every corner.
The dollar is worth less and less each day, so anytime you can take your money out of dollars, and put it into something tangible is a good idea... gold, a good house, etc.
We were fortunate to find a house on a 1 acre lot in Southern Iredell for a very reasonable price. While the prices will probably drop further, we couldn't wait. Everyone needs a place to live. I will renovate, but will probably not get my money out of the house for another 5+ years. I'm prepared for that.
Depending on how the banking situation settles out Charlotte's RE may continue to decline. Unfortunately Charlotte doesn't have another large industry. Duke has 5,000+ employees here but that is a drop in the bucket. Tourism is not a viable industry here, so we will just have to wait and see.
We will all have to ride this wave together, and unfortunately some may not come out of it very well.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:00 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,053,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie1964 View Post
The dollar is worth less and less each day, so anytime you can take your money out of dollars, and put it into something tangible is a good idea... gold, a good house, etc.

Huh? The dollar is worth more. Notice how you can purchase more for your dollar now that prices have dropped?

Old 01-03-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Huh? The dollar is worth more. Notice how you can purchase more for your dollar now that prices have dropped?
This will only be true for another 6 months then inflation will take over. With interest rates at record low levels and the demand for borrowing so high there's no way inflation will not go full steam ahead.

That would make the statement by Barbie 1964 corect in the very near term.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:55 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,067 times
I agree with you, Johne..stay tuned for inflation.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:59 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,053,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
This will only be true for another 6 months then inflation will take over. With interest rates at record low levels and the demand for borrowing so high there's no way inflation will not go full steam ahead.

That would make the statement by Barbie 1964 corect in the very near term.
The demand for borrowing so high? Borrowing has decreased that's why interest rates keep going lower.

Her statement is incorrect as she's saying put money into a house that will decrease in value. Her dollars will buy more in the near short term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte