Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 11:15 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
Since we're way off topic, this is my only reply.

I was commenting on paranoia concerning terrorists cells, not dismissing the events of 911. The fact of the matter is that you are much more likely to die in that shiny automobile in your driveway then by terrorists, robberies or any other accidental fatality. I also don't dismiss these as being non important.

So when people get so paranoid about terrorist cells it makes my laugh. Because they're much more likely to die driving to the grocery store. We make such a big deal about spending money and effort cracking down on terror, but how much is spent making sure people are safe drivers? Not money spent on cars being safer, but money and effort spent on making people drive more safely.
I knew what you meant Good point too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 11:42 AM

56 posts, read 135,357 times
i understand your point because charlotte nc was rated as one of the most dangerous places to drive. thats why they put up those cameras a few years back at the traffic lights. they have stop using them because there was a argument between what dept was going to collect the money from fines. i watch as 5 cars ran a red light as my light was green to go. My point is this, i dont want to be a victim of any crime. we live in a different world today so many people are on drugs or medications that have caused mental problems you never know what they will do. I have seen a lot of this problem when i worked with DSS. a lot of children are on medications that have made their condition worse. These drugs where not intended to be used over 6 months but you will find children who have been taking these drugs for 10 years.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:52 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,983,609 times
Flexysteve, I understood your point. I just couldn't believe it got around to Pearl Harbor???? This is why I love this forum.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:08 PM

255 posts, read 885,661 times
I have lived here pretty much my entire life (27 years). Never been robbed or had my home broken into. Lived in Matthews, Union Country (Indian Trail), now Lake Wylie/Steele Creek.

Just my .02

Old 10-20-2008, 01:19 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Although I guess if you tend to be paranoid you might think the home invasions in Matthews have something to do with the work of terrorists
Technically the people doing this are urban terrorists.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:32 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Technically the people doing this are urban terrorists.
True. In fact, there are laws on the books that refer to making "terroristic threats," and I believe things like - a neighbor threatening to blow up your house would be considered making a terroristic threat.

I think the poster was referring to Al Qaeda amongst us, however.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:09 PM

22 posts, read 73,347 times
So sad that we have to live like that. Get it ready and stand your ground.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:54 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think the poster was referring to Al Qaeda amongst us, however.
Honestly Ani you have a better chance of getting killed by a soccer mom on the phone in her minivan than you would from an Al Queda cell in the US.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:01 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Honestly Ani you have a better chance of getting killed by a soccer mom on the phone in her minivan than you would from an Al Queda cell in the US.
Oh, yes, I totally agree. The thing people don't get about terrorists - if they truly are terrorists - they fit in. So not like anyone is going to be suspicious. That is the last thing we need to be concerned about. Leave that to Homeland Security. What we all need to be doing is paying attention to our houses and alarm systems and making sure our property is secure.

And pay attention when driving, LOL!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte