Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 05:43 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,845,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseraphin View Post
I am sensing from this post that the hispanic population is not very welcome in surrounding Charlotte areas. What seems to be the problem with the spanish population? I've lived in NY & FL (in primarily middle & upper class neighborhoods) & have had hispanic neighbors. In both instances, I haven't had or known of any issues or concerns with the hispanic people that lived in my area. Can anyone fill me in me on this subject?
It is not that the hispanic folks aren't wanted - it is the ILLEGAL hispanic folks sucking our medical systems dry and weighing down our schools that natives are not happy about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 07:08 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,326,408 times
Default Central Academy of Technology & Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I have several friends whose kids go to the Academy of T&A and have been quite pleased with it. I would love to have seen the play.

Are you thinking of sending your daughter?

Dawn
Central Academy of Technology & Arts
http://cata.ucps.k12.nc.us/

My daughter isn't old enough, yet, since CATA is a high school. Students apply at the end of their 8th grade year and are randomly selected (lottery) by quota from among the area high schools. She isn't that far along in deciding what she would want to do, but if she shows interests in any of these areas, I'd look at putting her there:

[CENTER]Pre-Engineering
Information Systems
Medical Sciences
Performing Arts
Teacher Prep
Transportation Systems[/CENTER]

Old 03-24-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Illegals

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It is not that the hispanic folks aren't wanted - it is the ILLEGAL hispanic folks sucking our medical systems dry and weighing down our schools that natives are not happy about.
And, it is true that illegals are living in Monroe. The Charlotte Observer did a heartbreaking story of a family with children in school in Monroe. The parents wanted a better life for their family, and their children were thriving in school, but the parents knew they were here illegally, and eventually they were caught in a traffic stop and the mother (who was driving) was deported. The kids had to decide whether to go with mom or stay here with legal family members. They went with mom, back to a village with no running water and pitiful educational opportunities for the children.

I have empathy for both sides of this situation. As a parent, I can't fault a mother for fighting for a better way of life for her child. As a U.S. citizen, I can't afford to pay taxes to cover free health care, etc. I see why citizens get exasperated. I know that I don't know the answer to this question, so I won't begin to debate it.

Still, I feel like Monroe has taken a pro-active stance in trying to help those flocking there from South America. I think it was reported in the Charlotte Observer that there was actually a sign at the Mexico border directing folks to Monroe, NC, for affordable housing and plentiful jobs. In the beginning, communication was a problem (and probably still is in some cases), but I am aware that Union County government has offered conversational spanish to its employees, and ESL tutoring is available at the public libraries.

Today, I came from a Girl Scout function - Scouting for a Cure (Breast cancer awareness). United Way of Monroe has made an effort to begin a troop for the ESL girls in Monroe. Their very large troop was at the function this afternoon at Marvin Elementary. What was so heartwarming, for me, was that another troop "adopted" them as buddies and helped them participate fully. For me, this is making our communities stronger. Building understanding and teaching our children to appreciate each other's strength's and weakness. I love that!

For those of you who are coming to Union County, and are fluent in Spanish, no matter where you finally settle, I hope you will consider volunteering and using your talents to reach out and help us make lemonade from this situation. If I can plant that little seed in your mind today, maybe tomorrow something beautiful can grow from it.

Wait...what's that?
I have to go now...the fife is playing...
And liberty and justice for all!

Old 03-24-2007, 08:29 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,093,642 times
Marvin,

Thanks again for such an enlightened point of view.

My family is very pleased to have adopted Monroe as its hometown. My youngest eagerly looks forward to the start of camp at the MAFC. My oldest is enjoying being a part of the junior swim team. We love our drives through the countryside, our downhome neighbors, the convenience of our location, I could go on and on. But then people might flock here in droves and I'm feeling a bit selfish right now.

There's nothing pretentious about Monroe and I think that is why people shy away.

SL

Old 03-28-2007, 04:35 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,411,799 times
Default This sounds like where dh wants to live

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Marvinnative,

Thank you for saying what I would have loved to say but could not express eloquently, primarily because I lack the historical context!

My family is new to Monroe but we fell in love with it instantly, despite even our Realtor's best efforts to steer us elsewhere. And when I see the hits Monroe takes here on the board, I do take it personally. People really have no idea what they're missing.

I love the diversity here, the schools are NOT what people on this board make them out to be, my children are enamored of the country roads with houses that have livestock in the yard and yet we're still close enough to a real downtown.

As I've said before, the Monroe Aquatics and Fitness Center was a huge attraction for us also and I faithfully pay our monthly membership.

We are fortunate enough to live in a community mixed with natives and transplants, where low turnover made establishing comps difficult and best of all, no HOA to rule our lives.

Fortunately, development has been a bit slower in Monroe when compared to some other Union County towns. Whenever I look out my kitchen bay window onto hundreds of acres of farmland I am giddy with excitement. But, already I worry about the day I come home to find a subdivision popping up in our backyard.

Everything we want and need is right here in Monroe. There's nothing pretentious about Monroe. It's down home and comfortable. Often I've thought it a good thing that many transplants stay away instead of negatively impacting the culture with their ideas of what it should be.

Thanks again for this post. It makes me feel good to see Monroe get the good press it deserves.

SL
He likes areas like this... I grew up in a neighborhood, but the houses had plenty of space between, and there were avenues, not like a subdivision... but, dh wants to be able to walk out onto the deck in his underwear if he wants to....hehehe

Old 03-30-2007, 10:35 AM

Default Monroe Regional Airport Expansion

Moderator cut: In the future, please link to the article. Copying the article from an online publication is usually a violation of their Terms of Use agreement/Copyright statement.

From Enquirer Journal (Monroe), Sunday, March 25, 2007, page A1:

AIRPORT: Key to future
BY KEN LONG JR. Staff Writer
MONROE

The city of Monroe plans to invest approximately $24 million in improving Monroe Regional Airport.

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 12:22 PM..

Old 04-04-2007, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 10,161 times
Hi Everyone, Looking To Move Upstate,looking For Good Schools,not Too Far Commute To The City.i Am Very Confused About Where To Look,so Many Different Opinions, First I Wanted To Check Out Middletown,then Monroe, Now Im Very Confused!!! Help!!!

Old 04-04-2007, 03:12 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,845,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROROZEEE View Post
Hi Everyone, Looking To Move Upstate,looking For Good Schools,not Too Far Commute To The City.i Am Very Confused About Where To Look,so Many Different Opinions, First I Wanted To Check Out Middletown,then Monroe, Now Im Very Confused!!! Help!!!
Middletown?? Not sure where that is.

We need more info before we can offer suggestions. It all comes down to where you will work and how much you can spend on housing really.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:48 PM

70 posts, read 213,055 times
I had to walk out on my patio in my undies today....I had to grab a runaway toddler who escaped to play outside too early for me....

We moved into Monroe because of we could afford a nice home and the taxes are low.

We encountered a few folks from this area telling us to say what "township" we live by rather than saying Monroe....ie: say you live in Wesley Chapel, Unionville, Mineral Springs....just don't say you live in Monroe, because that means you live in a trashy area...

I took this info and sat on it....I actually had a period of about a year where I gave a damn as to what people thought.... I'm in my second year here....it took my mother coming here and whooping my a**. Basically....

She said..."look at you, look at your home, you live in a gorgeous house with gorgeous land.... who cares what reputation this area has...all you need to worry about is what is yours."

She is right. Now, Monroe does have its huge share of immigrants and illegal ones...But Monroe isn't on the news every night with terrible crimes being reported. Actually it's once in a blue moon I see Monroe on the news....I do see certain other NC areas with reports of mean SOB's regularly, and if you watch NC news it's the white men, black men and white women committing alot of crime around NC...
While the illegals are calm in Monroe, they still should have checked in at the border....I don't agree with a free ride. My ancestors reported to be recorded for citizenship, so I expect it from all immigrants.

Monroe obviously has history with locals as being an undesirable area. Well, who cares....I cared what people thought for a while and that is exhausting. Now I'm looking around and realizing what a great place I've moved into... This area is so full of history and beautiful structure. Great agriculture and city all mixed.

The only thing I wish is that they would put some restriction on signs....you got a sign on the building, a sign on 74 in front of the building, and 2 billboards up the road advertising the same business.....It's way too many signs on 74...People can just look at the building and see the sign on it....all the freaking signs on the road are too much IMO.

Monroe is a gem....

Last edited by ssdei38; 04-04-2007 at 09:16 PM..

Old 04-05-2007, 10:43 AM

Default Benton Heights ES Okayed to become Arts Magnet

News this week that Benton Heights Elementary will officially become an Arts Magnet school in 2007-2008:

http://charlotte.com/263/story/74939.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte