Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:10 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,319,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
Well, fwiw, we've spoken with three NC residents this week (living in Indian Trail, Dilworth, and Birkdale Village, respectively) and all warned us away from Monroe. 'Don't move your family there!'

So maybe Monroe is still secret great living.

I like the Main Street revitalisation project going on in Monroe (and elsewhere).
What is the REASON that folks give when they tell you to stay away from Monroe? Besides someone told them to stay away? The Monroe area encompasses a very large area. I suspect that folks are referring to the low income areas, most recently settled by the hispanic population.

As with any inner city area, that is where there is a concentration of lower income population, just because of available affordable housing. And, because Union County promotes "neighborhood schools," it stands to reason that the "city schools" in these areas have a larger population of ethnic and lower income students. But, I would not make the mistake of avoiding EVERYTHING with a Monroe address. I don't think it is too late to bring the downtown area back around. There are some great folks in Monroe. They are adjusting to this new population, and I predict it will make them stronger in the long run.

Last edited by marvinnative; 03-24-2007 at 10:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 10:38 AM

478 posts, read 2,045,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
I suspect that folks are referring to the low income areas, most recently settled by the hispanic population.
Yes, this is the case. Also, Monroe doesn't have the 'fantastic amenities!' bragging rights these acquaintances do in Indian Trail, Birkdale Village. The person in Dilworth isn't interested in living near/with Latinos.

But those EU illegals...well, that's fine. (because they do exist...just the 'right colour' so it's harder to judge them straight away as The Problem With This Country)

Old 03-24-2007, 11:24 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,901 times
Hate to be a naysayer, but seems like there is some spin going on here. I drove through Monroe a few weeks back. I didnt particulary take a liking to it. And as far as the hispanics bringing "diversity" or what have you to Monroe, well Monore is not the only town with a hispanic population - and I am still waiting to see the positive impacts in atleast one city or town in NC on this issue.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:40 PM

172 posts, read 584,357 times
I love Monroe too. That is probably why that is where our new home is being built. And instead of a tiny lot we have a one and a half acre wooded lot with lots of privacy. Our home will be ready next month and I cannot wait to become a full time Monroe resident.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:46 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,319,732 times
Default Driving through...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Hate to be a naysayer, but seems like there is some spin going on here. I drove through Monroe a few weeks back. I didnt particulary take a liking to it. And as far as the hispanics bringing "diversity" or what have you to Monroe, well Monroe is not the only town with a hispanic population - and I am still waiting to see the positive impacts in atleast one city or town in NC on this issue.
I don't think you will get an appreciation for a place by "driving by." I mean, if you drove by Wilkinson Blvd or even Albemarle Rd these days and thought you had visited Charlotte, you might have the same first impression. If all that you have ever seen of Monroe is from the jam-packed traffic off Hwy 74, then you haven't been to Monroe at all.

When we speak of Monroe, it is a much broader place than driving through downtown. It's not booming with brand new developments right now, but then, I'm hearing that some people are hoping to find a place with a more relaxed, Southern feel. I'm just saying that Monroe has that, if you get out of your car and walk around a little. I don't see what is so different about Indian Trail (what are the fantastic ammenities there?) and Monroe. Only difference is that some developer has not declared it as THE hot new place to be. If small-Southern town USA is not where you want to be, that's fine. Different strokes for different folks, they say.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:34 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
I have several friends whose kids go to the Academy of T&A and have been quite pleased with it. I would love to have seen the play.

Are you thinking of sending your daughter?

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Lately, a lot of good news is coming from Monroe area schools. Last fall a brand new high school magnet - Central Academy of Technology and Arts opened. Students from across Union County can apply. We recently attended their production of "Joseph's Amazing Technocolor Dreamcoat."
http://cata.ucps.k12.nc.us/

Also in the news this week - possibility that Benton Heights Elementary could become an Arts Magnet. They have been partnering with the Blumenthalcenter for the Arts for several years.
http://www.blumenthalcenter.org/educ...all%202006.pdf

I have a lot of confidence in our county school superintendent - Dr. Ed Davis. He is putting a lot of fresh young leadership into some of the lower performing schools and turning them around.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:36 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
What is EU?

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
Yes, this is the case. Also, Monroe doesn't have the 'fantastic amenities!' bragging rights these acquaintances do in Indian Trail, Birkdale Village. The person in Dilworth isn't interested in living near/with Latinos.

But those EU illegals...well, that's fine. (because they do exist...just the 'right colour' so it's harder to judge them straight away as The Problem With This Country)

Old 03-24-2007, 03:42 PM

435 posts, read 1,814,596 times
EU probably mean European Union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
What is EU?

Dawn

Old 03-24-2007, 04:30 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Hate to be a naysayer, but seems like there is some spin going on here. I drove through Monroe a few weeks back. I didnt particulary take a liking to it. And as far as the hispanics bringing "diversity" or what have you to Monroe, well Monore is not the only town with a hispanic population - and I am still waiting to see the positive impacts in atleast one city or town in NC on this issue.
Just wondering... how can it be spin when these posters actually live in Monroe, obviously love it and have nothing to gain by sharing that info? For some people the glass will always be half full, for some it will always be half empty

Old 03-24-2007, 05:34 PM

20 posts, read 69,108 times
I am sensing from this post that the hispanic population is not very welcome in surrounding Charlotte areas. What seems to be the problem with the spanish population? I've lived in NY & FL (in primarily middle & upper class neighborhoods) & have had hispanic neighbors. In both instances, I haven't had or known of any issues or concerns with the hispanic people that lived in my area. Can anyone fill me in me on this subject?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte