Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 02:25 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,827,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Was anyone here for Hugo 20 years ago? How bad did it get? The recent storms got me thinking about that. Was it basically just a really heavy story or did it actually feel like a hurricane?
My brother and sister in law lived here as well as our neighbors. Lots of downed trees which took months to clean up from my understanding. Bro and sis in law were without power for I believe 2 weeks? Don't remember what they said about flooding...

You know with all these storms I can't believe no one's mentioned going to the store for bread and milk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 02:27 PM

197 posts, read 485,590 times
Quote:
Was anyone here for Hugo 20 years ago? How bad did it get? The recent storms got me thinking about that. Was it basically just a really heavy story or did it actually feel like a hurricane?
I'm going to date myself here...

I had started college that fall three hours from home. We had heard all the hurricane warnings, but didn't take them seriously. When it hit here all we had was a really bad thunderstorm at college. After the third day of not being able to reach my family or friends by phone (all the lines were down) I left college and drove home. On my way I saw tops twisted out of trees, trees across houses and laying across the roads, debris everywhere. In fact, even saw a trampoline in a tree and a deck, completely whole, sitting on someone's front lawn. There were spin-off tornadoes from the winds. My family was fine...just a few trees down in the yard, but they said it got very scary. There was a lot of damage and my family was without power for over a week. So, yes, it felt like more than just a big storm.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:48 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,950,025 times
Ice storms are really bad too.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:23 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,035,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
ChiC,
Is that Syttende Mai? When I lived in Madison, there was a big running race in town on that day. Crazy costumes, beverages, etc. Good times!
Yes, indeed!! I belong to the Sons of Norway, our chapter is named "Norsk Carolina" (I think that is a hilarious play on words). We are hoping to grow this enough to become an actual parade through downtown Charlotte in a few years. We are expecting 200+ people and this is only our second year!!

I couldn't go last year because my brother had died suddenly and I had to go to Detroit (and then Chicago) for the funeral.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Yes, I was here! It was the first year I lived here..(gosh, it WAS 20 years ago, wasn't it?) I had lived on the coast of SC previously and lived thru a hurricane or two, so, I was very skeptical when they said a hurricane was coming this far inland. Did not prepare AT ALL. Lived to regret that. It was a bonafide hurricane, complete with sideways rain, wind up to 80+mph, the whole thing. Trees were down everywhere, practically the entire city out of power. They had to call in the Nat'l Guard to help route traffic. I was out of power for 2 weeks, had to care for my parents who had a lot of issues and normally lived in a retirement home with 24 hr care. (it closed due to no power and thus no well nor sewer). It was not a fun time. For that reason, the house that I chose (built in 1989 after Hugo) has underground utilities and also a gas hot water heater. (showering with cold water for 2 weeks did that to me) These storms are NOTHING compared to Hugo.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:35 PM

Thanks everyone for the good thoughts on the exams today. Know 2 results...both "B"s. Will know the other two by next week.

WHEW! This was a tough semester.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:30 AM

mornin' all

Old 05-07-2009, 05:38 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,314,433 times
Good work, CC.

Morning all, yet another day of showers....UGH
What a crummy week to get a new convertible.
But I am suffering through it.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:46 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,827,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Good work, CC.

Morning all, yet another day of showers....UGH
What a crummy week to get a new convertible.
But I am suffering through it.
ROFL, what did you get?

I remember when I bought my 87 Camaro and it had t-tops, the first time I took the tops off and cruised around got home and had one hell of a bee hive ratted mess, good Lord! Note to self always have a pony tail holder in purse. Of course seeing you in your pic with the boat you made I don't think you'll have to worry about that. By the way nice work on the boat.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:56 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,314,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
ROFL, what did you get?
'09 MINI S Convertible.
Black with black wheels & white stripes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
I remember when I bought my 87 Camaro and it had t-tops, the first time I took the tops off and cruised around got home and had one hell of a bee hive ratted mess, good Lord! Note to self always have a pony tail holder in purse. Of course seeing you in your pic with the boat you made I don't think you'll have to worry about that. By the way nice work on the boat.
HAHA, my hair is pretty short so I don't have to worry about that.
Yesterday afternoon I put the girls in pigtails and we went for a ride with the top down.
I'll be picking them up from school this afternoon for our weekly datenite (giving mom some time off),
hopefully the weather will cooperate.
We have to scoot around town and get some stuff for mommie (don't forget Sunday is Mother's Day).

Appreciate the kind words on the boat, I built and sold a few.
I developed an allergy to curing agents which ended up putting me in the hospital for a few days - that put an end to my hardcore woodworking.

Last edited by mullman; 05-07-2009 at 06:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte