Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 02:50 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

Thanx, John! Love to share recipes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 03:05 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,700,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
I do a fair share of cooking, especially Italian. I am never really impressed by a new receipe for sauce since I have gone thru 100's but I did one on Sunday (and going to do again tonite) that I'm in love with.

use about 2 1/2 pounds of plum tomatoes. Cut an "X" in the bottom and blanch them for 10 SECONDS. Peel. seed and chop.

(2) HEADS of garlic..not cloves (about 20 pieces)
Peel and cut in half.

6 tablespoons of virgin olive oil and 1/8 teaspoon of red hot pepper.

Add the garlic to the oil and bring it to golden, about 3 minutes. DO NOT BURN.
add the chopped tom. red pepper, salt (1/2 teaspoon) and ground fresh black pepper. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours and toss with a pound of spaghetti.

The galic turns creamy and gives an incredible taste to the fresh tomatoes.
Enjoy,
Je
ETA: after blanching put immeditely into ice water bath so that it's easier to peel the tomato.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:28 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,782,531 times
Quote:
I do a fair share of cooking, especially Italian. I am never really impressed by a new receipe for sauce since I have gone thru 100's but I did one on Sunday (and going to do again tonite) that I'm in love with.

use about 2 1/2 pounds of plum tomatoes. Cut an "X" in the bottom and blanch them for 10 SECONDS. Peel. seed and chop.

(2) HEADS of garlic..not cloves (about 20 pieces)
Peel and cut in half.

6 tablespoons of virgin olive oil and 1/8 teaspoon of red hot pepper.

Add the garlic to the oil and bring it to golden, about 3 minutes. DO NOT BURN.
add the chopped tom. red pepper, salt (1/2 teaspoon) and ground fresh black pepper. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours and toss with a pound of spaghetti.

The galic turns creamy and gives an incredible taste to the fresh tomatoes.
Enjoy,
Je
Thanks John. I will give it a try. I am always game for trying a new sauce (gravy) that doesn't take all day to cook.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:58 PM

457 posts, read 1,377,204 times
Quote:
ETA: after blanching put immeditely into ice water bath so that it's easier to peel the tomato.
John - do you hand chop the tomatoes, or pulse them in a food processor..? Have you tried the San Marzano plum toms, they are awesome. I think our next CD Meetup we could all cook something up for the gang, and figure out where to have the meetup..

Old 07-30-2009, 03:56 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,700,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncgdad1 View Post
John - do you hand chop the tomatoes, or pulse them in a food processor..? Have you tried the San Marzano plum toms, they are awesome. I think our next CD Meetup we could all cook something up for the gang, and figure out where to have the meetup..
Hand chop gently. There're pretty soft at this stage. In fact last nite I forgot to chop them and threw them in the pot. Couple of minutes later I "chopped" them in the pot with a knife and wood spoon. How much you chop them amount of juice vs. little pcs. of tom. when you're finished.

I cook this sauce one hour and then if not using right away another 20 minutes before using. Use a VERY gentle flame as you have a small vol. in the pot and it will stick if the flame is too high.

Cook this sauce with "love". LOL

Old 07-30-2009, 07:16 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,032,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncgdad1 View Post
sounds good to me!!

Old 07-30-2009, 07:18 AM

mornin' all, much quieter morning today!!

Char Observer says that we are warm/humid today with more t-storms later on.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:33 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
mornin' all, much quieter morning today!!

Char Observer says that we are warm/humid today with more t-storms later on.
This is the best summer we have had since moving back. It is more like summers were when I grew up here. Last evening, we were actually able to sit out on the deck comfortably - a little breeze . . . I don't mind the humidity at all unless temps are into the 90s. Hubby won't ever adjust to humidity over 50 %, I don't think. But for me, 70 % humidity and temps in 80s is a mild summer.

I love the storms . . .just don't like things getting hit by lightning or trees crashing down!

So wonderful to finally see rain! Hopefully, no more problems w/ water shortages! And I bet we are in a cycle which will provide some snow this winter.

I finally feel like I moved back home. Since 2002, the weather has just seemed odd to me in this region. Too many hot days starting too early, not enuff rain and too many tornado warnings. This year, we just haven't had those conditions and I am sooooo grateful. Love sitting out on my deck in the evenings . . .

Old 07-30-2009, 07:41 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,826,899 times

So I find a job for DH and apply for it, now this job was advertised on Indeed as a new listing. I go through all the questions and at the very end it says it's going to match the application to the position that is open with in the company. Do you now what it comes back with? No positions available! So if there are no positions available why is it being advertised? I would assume for future use? So beyond frustrating.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post

So I find a job for DH and apply for it, now this job was advertised on Indeed as a new listing. I go through all the questions and at the very end it says it's going to match the application to the position that is open with in the company. Do you now what it comes back with? No positions available! So if there are no positions available why is it being advertised? I would assume for future use? So beyond frustrating.
yeah, I have found that, too. So, now what I do is go to the company's corporate website, using the req number that they show in the indeed (or whatever) ad and look it up that way. Most times, the req does not exist. I think that they do that to show that we have jobs available or something.

I know of a bank that does that so that when they lay off people, it looks like there are a ton of available jobs, when, in reality, there are none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte