Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 07:07 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
I travel to the Greensboro area for work, and Greensboro and Charlotte are very different worlds. In fact, in Charlotte, I rarely encounter people who are from here; thus, you don't get that same "you are a yankee" hesitancy/attitude that your stepson encountered in GBO.
This is true. I encountered the attitude only once in 2 years in working in Charlotte, when I was temping at a very old long time Charlotte company (very small 5 workers)after I first moved to NC and endured it daily and quit.

I have never one time encountered it at my new employer, not once. Course our employees are not only from all over the USA, they're from all over the world. Very diverse workforce, and I am hired in full time.

I encountered the attitude in Davidson working at a huge fortune 500 company, which kind of surprised me, but it wasn't overly done, maybe once or twice a week. Same people over and over again.

I encounter the attitude almost every single day in Concord, especially when I was trying to find employment in this city (Concord).

I think I'll be happier moving to Charlotte later this year.

I guess it has to do with the size of the town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 07:23 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeams View Post
IMHO, I think the people from NY that are moving here for the most part want a better quality of life and are more open minded. They seem to want to make friends and are (from what I observed) friendlier. There are some people that I know from NY that I don't think should move down here because they aren't into change or different accents and a different way of doing things. It would be too much for them. You can't compare Charlotte to NY and I think that's what some people do. I am glad I moved here. I embrace all that the South and Charlotte has to offer. (Even though they do fry everything)

Some New Yorkers do leave NY with an attitude that Charlotte sucks and NY is the holy land. I've heard it already here from some people I've encountered. I told a woman I liked her sunglasses and she answered and said NY baby the best!! I just walked away and said oh brother big friggin deal. I'm from NY too and I just laugh at that attitude. If I felt that way about NY I would have never left. Charlotte will never be NY unless they keep rasing taxes.LOL

Old 04-12-2007, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 6,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
I think I'll be happier moving to Charlotte later this year.

I guess it has to do with the size of the town?
It has to do with the number of Yankees in town.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:06 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevee View Post
Im just curious....we are thinking of relocating to the area, and wonder where most Northerners chose. (Hopefully I can learn from THEIR reseach in addition to my own)
Planning a trip next month! CANT WAIT!!
we bought in Union County Waxhaw/Marvin in Hunter Oaks we are from Ny and have been in NJ for 8 years...
alot of northerns in union county in Lawson, Cureton, Hunter Oaks, Chimmneys of Marvin and Indian Trail as well as Wesley Chapel and Weddington...so Pick your area..lol

Old 04-12-2007, 08:54 PM

254 posts, read 1,057,647 times
you can buy our house..we have new yorkers next to us on both sides (though you have to skip over our next door neighbor to the right..they are southerners) and then across the street are more new yorkers..and that is just in my cul de sac with 6 houses (including us there are 4 from NY )

Old 04-13-2007, 05:43 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkat View Post
you can buy our house..we have new yorkers next to us on both sides (though you have to skip over our next door neighbor to the right..they are southerners) and then across the street are more new yorkers..and that is just in my cul de sac with 6 houses (including us there are 4 from NY )
too funny melkat... LOL Ya know, I wonder sometimes if some people think that people from New York/Jersey are rude only because of the accent. You hear the accent, you think rude. But when I was down, there where some New Yorkers in the hotel where I was at, and they were doing the same thing I was doing, and if you took the time to stop and listen, they were just normal families like we were, just sounded different. Were at a little faster pace. But, until dh woke up... geez.. I had time to observe down in the lobby and outside and people are people. Given, some are really rude,, but, they can be northern or southern. Your neighborhood sounds great... heehee

Old 04-13-2007, 06:01 AM

227 posts, read 292,731 times
Cant tell you how many conversations ive heard that go something like.. "Well im from New York/New Jersey, and in New York/NJ we do it like this..." or something similar. Ive heard this in charlotte more than once, and ive only been here 6 months.
Its like people from NY feel obligated to let everyone know...

Plus, its just a fact that Yankees are not as friendly as southerners. They are less likely to wave, or stop to talk to you on the street. This is a stereotype thats true. We already had the discussion about knocking on a neighbors door and a lot of you Yankees said you'd never done that.
We just hope that too many yankees dont invade before we can teach you hospitality. You come here saying you want a change, but then want everything to be like it was in NY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevee View Post
Thats great to hear!

He tells me that many people he's delt with think us NYers have an attitude of being better and smarter than everyone else.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:13 AM

254 posts, read 1,057,647 times
well I am the one who goes to our new neighbors houses with cookies..my next door neighbor (her and her husband are both southern) have never even met half of our neighbors and don't make the effort (though they are very nice)..I guess I have Northern Hospitality

Old 04-13-2007, 07:18 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sippi View Post
Cant tell you how many conversations ive heard that go something like.. "Well im from New York/New Jersey, and in New York/NJ we do it like this..." or something similar. Ive heard this in charlotte more than once, and ive only been here 6 months.
Its like people from NY feel obligated to let everyone know...

Maybe our Northern Friends are just proud of where they are from.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:31 AM

137 posts, read 744,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sippi View Post
Plus, its just a fact that Yankees are not as friendly as southerners. They are less likely to wave, or stop to talk to you on the street. This is a stereotype thats true. We already had the discussion about knocking on a neighbors door and a lot of you Yankees said you'd never done that.
We just hope that too many yankees dont invade before we can teach you hospitality. You come here saying you want a change, but then want everything to be like it was in NY.
This is what I was afraid of! INVADE?
And you say we are rude! ha!

Im not saying I WANT to find the NYers in Charlotte, and live in their backyard, I am just curious as to what areas they found appealing. We are different, no doubt. Us "Yankees" as you like to call us, are used to certain things, and we would naturally gravitate to a place to make the transition easier.
I for one am interested in Charlotte for a better quality of living. Being able to afford a nice house where we could afford the property taxes, less crime, traffic, etc.
Right now we have a modest colonial buit in 1929 on a 50'x100' piece of property on Long Island. We pay $8000/yr in taxes. This will never allow my husband to retire. If we move, buy a house cash, he can.
Simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte