Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 03:45 PM

137 posts, read 744,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Okay, not that I'm looking for an argument, but reread your post please. But put yourself in the shoes of someone from NC before you do. How would YOU feel if you were really in that position and now you could no longer afford to live in the city or town you grew up in because others with more disposable income had flocked here from more expensive parts of the country? If that really did happen to you, might you be a little upset?
Sure...and I live it too. But if thats it, then say that. Dont make flippant comments about ancient history. Lets all grow up here. We are facing the same thing here on LI. I grew up here (and have lived here over 40 years), and can no longer afford to live here. I too am being priced out of my local market. Thats just the way it is....just on a more expensive scale.

P.S. No need to reread my post. I knew exactly what I was writing the first time. And for your information, lovesMountains, our income is NOT disposable. If anything we are being frugal, trying to get the most from our hard earned $.

Last edited by deevee; 04-13-2007 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 04:33 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevee View Post
Sure...and I live it too. But if thats it, then say that. Dont make flippant comments about ancient history. Lets all grow up here. We are facing the same thing here on LI. I grew up here (and have lived here over 40 years), and can no longer afford to live here. I too am being priced out of my local market. Thats just the way it is....just on a more expensive scale.

P.S. No need to reread my post. I knew exactly what I was writing the first time. And for your information, lovesMountains, our income is NOT disposable. If anything we are being frugal, trying to get the most from our hard earned $.
No need to take a hostile tone I was seriously trying to help you understand a point you unfortunately don't get.

But go ahead and keep the attitude, that'll get you real far with people living down here in the south

Old 04-13-2007, 05:05 PM

227 posts, read 292,895 times
Im not angry, it was a joke, true though it may be. Besides, who doesnt live in the past? As far as pricing me out. I just moved here, but we love where we live. Was it more than where we came from, yeah, but we like the location and house..
Quote:

Whats that supposed to mean? Are you still living the civil war?

Maybe you are just annoyed that Northerners are pricing the locals out of their own housing market. Could that be where you anger is coming from Mr. Sippi?

Old 04-14-2007, 06:23 AM

137 posts, read 744,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No need to take a hostile tone I was seriously trying to help you understand a point you unfortunately don't get.

But go ahead and keep the attitude, that'll get you real far with people living down here in the south

If you read my post, I OBVIOUSLY do get your point. I face the same thing here. Attitute? I have no attitude.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:33 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,738 times
Quote:
This is what I was afraid of! INVADE?
And you say we are rude! ha!

Right now we have a modest colonial buit in 1929 on a 50'x100' piece of property on Long Island. We pay $8000/yr in taxes. This will never allow my husband to retire. If we move, buy a house cash, he can.
Simple as that.
I am stunned when I here about the taxes people in the NE states say they have paid. No wonder they tend to think Charlotte is cheaper. To me I think the taxes here are high. But again it's where you're from. My taxes in Ohio were less than 2000 a year. 3 bedroom 1 bath, 1 den, formal dining room,
large kitchen, and a lot and 1/2 (couldn't tell you the size). Course it was a beautiful old turn of the century home, with beautiful oak woodwork, and oak windows, and magnificent woodwork, as well as a carved fireplace mantel.

8000.00 a year, is way too much. Why are taxes so high in the NE states??
What is up there that costs so much, to make your taxes so high?
One of my good friends lives in NY (near Amherst) her taxes are not like that.
Her's are more like Ohio's.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:58 AM

6 posts, read 21,307 times
Default Priced out of my home town too

Just thought I would chime in here to say that I live in MA and we are relocating to Charlotte mostly b/c it has just gotten too expensive here. I grew up in these parts and it makes me sad that I have been priced out of my home town. Nearly every aspect of where I live now is crazy expensive and we just want a better quality of life. Regarding disposable income, we too are not coming down there with "disposable" income. We are moving down there to make ends meet while still living in a great area. If I were to hazard a guess, the dirty little secret of the NE is that people are living so way beyond their means that eventually the debt will crush many families. We pay around $6,000 in property taxes here which I think is just fine considering I have friends in Westchester County, NY where property tax can run $20,000 - $30,000 a year. Yeah, that is crazy property tax. We are very much looking forward to moving soon and can't wait to be in Charlotte.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:26 AM

227 posts, read 292,895 times
this isnt just in the NE. Its the whole country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pickles View Post
If I were to hazard a guess, the dirty little secret of the NE is that people are living so way beyond their means that eventually the debt will crush many families. W

Old 04-14-2007, 07:43 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sippi View Post
this isnt just in the NE. Its the whole country.
Wow, that's the truth. Did you know saving rates are at the lowest point since the Great Depression? Scary.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:02 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,349,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sippi View Post
Cant tell you how many conversations ive heard that go something like.. "Well im from New York/New Jersey, and in New York/NJ we do it like this..." or something similar. Ive heard this in charlotte more than once, and ive only been here 6 months.
Its like people from NY feel obligated to let everyone know...

Plus, its just a fact that Yankees are not as friendly as southerners. They are less likely to wave, or stop to talk to you on the street. This is a stereotype thats true. We already had the discussion about knocking on a neighbors door and a lot of you Yankees said you'd never done that.
We just hope that too many yankees dont invade before we can teach you hospitality. You come here saying you want a change, but then want everything to be like it was in NY.
My husband waves at EVERYONE, then wonders why they dont all wave back...

Old 04-14-2007, 09:12 AM

348 posts, read 430,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
8000.00 a year, is way too much. Why are taxes so high in the NE states?? What is up there that costs so much, to make your taxes so high? One of my good friends lives in NY (near Amherst) her taxes are not like that. Her's are more like Ohio's.
Hey Sip. In the NE, there is more money that goes to schools than anywhere else in the country. THey tend to spend more money per student. What I'm seeing in Charlotte is roughly $5-6k per student. In NJ, for example, it could be $12k per student depending on where you lived. And this mostly tends to be in areas that are near the city--NJ, CT, NY, etc. Towns like Amherst are too far, so they are not in the same realm. THese particular areas being referred to have many, many people that want to be there mostly for the schools and their proximity to NYC for work. When I last lived in NJ, I was paying $10k in taxes for a 50x100 lot. It was nuts! I have a friend who pays $20,000 in prop taxes in a town that is in NJ, but closer to NYC. I mean, $20,000!!! It's insanity! But that's essentially why people always say that the schools in the NE are better than anywhere else in the country by and large.

I guess it's all what you're willing to sacrifice. I have two young boys, and I do want them to have a good education. But I am not willing to hang myself and be in debt because my monthly property taxes feels like a second mortgage. That's why I'm in Charlotte!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte