Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 08:14 AM

45 posts, read 167,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Some New Yorkers do leave NY with an attitude that Charlotte sucks and NY is the holy land. I've heard it already here from some people I've encountered. I told a woman I liked her sunglasses and she answered and said NY baby the best!! I just walked away and said oh brother big friggin deal. I'm from NY too and I just laugh at that attitude. If I felt that way about NY I would have never left. Charlotte will never be NY unless they keep rasing taxes.LOL
I'm with you Sheena I hate that attitude too. (and I am LI) I assumed some of those people existed but I haven't found them yet. I just moved down here in November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 11:34 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,966,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeams View Post
I'm with you Sheena I hate that attitude too. (and I am LI) I assumed some of those people existed but I haven't found them yet. I just moved down here in November.

You'll see them around. I encountered them when I lived in Phoenix too. I couldn't for the life of me understand what they were doing in Phoenix and just totally trashing the place. If I felt like that about Charlotte I'd be out of here. I think everyplace has it's pros and cons. I have many things I miss about Phoenix but I still love what Charlotte has to offer. I don't miss a thing about NY, especially snow and the cost of living.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sippi View Post
Cant tell you how many conversations ive heard that go something like.. "Well im from New York/New Jersey, and in New York/NJ we do it like this..." or something similar. Ive heard this in charlotte more than once, and ive only been here 6 months.
Its like people from NY feel obligated to let everyone know...

Plus, its just a fact that Yankees are not as friendly as southerners. They are less likely to wave, or stop to talk to you on the street. This is a stereotype thats true. We already had the discussion about knocking on a neighbors door and a lot of you Yankees said you'd never done that.
We just hope that too many yankees dont invade before we can teach you hospitality. You come here saying you want a change, but then want everything to be like it was in NY.

Yes they feel obligated to tell you they are from NY. Sometimes it's just in converstion like I'm from ..............wherever. Sometimes it's.....Well I'm from NY and that means I'm better than this backwards hick place. I'm not saying all are like this but a good percentage are. I can say that because I have these people in my family. I could never go out with my brother in-law when he comes to vist, he walks around complaining about everyone and saying out loud that's why you lost the war. I know what I speak.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Cant tell you how many conversations ive heard that go something like.. "Well im from New York/New Jersey, and in New York/NJ we do it like this..." or something similar. Ive heard this in charlotte more than once, and ive only been here 6 months.
Its like people from NY feel obligated to let everyone know...

Plus, its just a fact that Yankees are not as friendly as southerners. They are less likely to wave, or stop to talk to you on the street. This is a stereotype thats true. We already had the discussion about knocking on a neighbors door and a lot of you Yankees said you'd never done that.
We just hope that too many yankees dont invade before we can teach you hospitality. You come here saying you want a change, but then want everything to be like it was in NY.
That is what I tell people who are considering moving down...you have to realize this isn't NY and some things are different. I think over time most people adapt (if they want to be happy). I remembered when I first left NY in 1995 I moved to Las Vegas and I didn't realize I had an accent (seriously). I thought NY was the center of the universe. I get along well with others and I wasn't telling people I was from NY they just knew. Now, I am actually the opposite I am trying to lose my NY accent...although I don't want a southern accent.

My next door neighbor is from Queens, NY and I had no idea then she said "because" one day and I asked are you from NY?...lol. She has knocked on my door and it did kinda freak me out...I guess I still have that in me. But anyone is welcome to stop by if I am outside in the back BBQing or having a cold one on the patio.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
That is what I tell people who are considering moving down...you have to realize this isn't NY and some things are different. I think over time most people adapt (if they want to be happy). I remembered when I first left NY in 1995 I moved to Las Vegas and I didn't realize I had an accent (seriously). I thought NY was the center of the universe. I get along well with others and I wasn't telling people I was from NY they just knew. Now, I am actually the opposite I am trying to lose my NY accent...although I don't want a southern accent.

My next door neighbor is from Queens, NY and I had no idea then she said "because" one day and I asked are you from NY?...lol. She has knocked on my door and it did kinda freak me out...I guess I still have that in me. But anyone is welcome to stop by if I am outside in the back BBQing or having a cold one on the patio.

I lived in Vegas too I am also trying to lose my accent but I do want a southern one . I can't seem to pick it up too many NY'ers around here and my accent is getting worse. LOL

Old 04-13-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I lived in Vegas too I am also trying to lose my accent but I do want a southern one . I can't seem to pick it up too many NY'ers around here and my accent is getting worse. LOL
Wow, we are like twins. Ny, Vegas and Charlotte.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:24 PM

227 posts, read 293,753 times
Well it wouldnt be the 1st time now would it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevee View Post
INVADE?

Old 04-13-2007, 01:54 PM

137 posts, read 745,307 times
Default This is absurd!

Quote:
Well it wouldnt be the 1st time now would it?
Whats that supposed to mean? Are you still living the civil war?

Maybe you are just annoyed that Northerners are pricing the locals out of their own housing market. Could that be where you anger is coming from Mr. Sippi?

Old 04-13-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Wow, we are like twins. Ny, Vegas and Charlotte.
NY,Phoenix,Las Vegas,Phoenix,Charlotte

Old 04-13-2007, 02:07 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,818,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevee View Post

Whats that supposed to mean? Are you still living the civil war?

Maybe you are just annoyed that Northerners are pricing the locals out of their own housing market. Could that be where you anger is coming from Mr. Sippi?
Okay, not that I'm looking for an argument, but reread your post please. But put yourself in the shoes of someone from NC before you do. How would YOU feel if you were really in that position and now you could no longer afford to live in the city or town you grew up in because others with more disposable income had flocked here from more expensive parts of the country? If that really did happen to you, might you be a little upset?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte