Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 02:17 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,897 times

Advertisements

These smoking ban threads are truly cause for concern...

Right now, our government is:

-Federalizing vast parts of the economy

-Considering the passage one of the largest tax increases in history (Cap and Trade bill)

-Potentially signing far-reaching "Climate" treaties without ratification by Congress the or consent of the American voter

-Implementing the largest and most costly social program in history which will result in enormous future tax increases (Health Care Reform)

-Continuing wars without a clear definition of victory

-Evaluating the renewal of the "Patriot Act"

-In the middle of one of the largest, most sweeping power grabs in recent history.

... and we are worried about where we can and can't smoke. God save us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 04:36 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,901,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
These smoking ban threads are truly cause for concern...

Right now, our government is:

-Federalizing vast parts of the economy

-Considering the passage one of the largest tax increases in history (Cap and Trade bill)

-Potentially signing far-reaching "Climate" treaties without ratification by Congress the or consent of the American voter

-Implementing the largest and most costly social program in history which will result in enormous future tax increases (Health Care Reform)

-Continuing wars without a clear definition of victory

-Evaluating the renewal of the "Patriot Act"

-In the middle of one of the largest, most sweeping power grabs in recent history.

... and we are worried about where we can and can't smoke. God save us.
All is true. Thing is, I might want to get a good buzz and forget about all of these horrible changes and/or events occuring. When I do this, I like for it to be in a smokeless bar.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:08 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,121,316 times
I've always thought smoking in a restaurant was rude. I've been at tables where I'd be eating/drinking and then someone sits at the table next to me and immediately smokes up. Guess who gets the smoke wafted in their faces? It's no different than if I started talking to them in a loud voice to "annoy their sense of hearing" while they "annoy my sense of smell"

That being said, I do think it should be the right of the business owner to determine if smoking should be allowed or not. I don't think the government should dictate where one can or can't smoke. The proprietor of the business should. I would be happier if restaurants had better HVAC to get rid of the smoke from a designated area of the restaurant/bar to get rid of smoke.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I've always thought smoking in a restaurant was rude. I've been at tables where I'd be eating/drinking and then someone sits at the table next to me and immediately smokes up. Guess who gets the smoke wafted in their faces? It's no different than if I started talking to them in a loud voice to "annoy their sense of hearing" while they "annoy my sense of smell"

That being said, I do think it should be the right of the business owner to determine if smoking should be allowed or not. I don't think the government should dictate where one can or can't smoke. The proprietor of the business should. I would be happier if restaurants had better HVAC to get rid of the smoke from a designated area of the restaurant/bar to get rid of smoke.
When the general public does not take the personal responsibility to make a decision that guards the welfare and/or desires of the majority of its citizens, the state, federal, or local government will inevitabaly take action.

We all want less government controls (most of us anyway). To prevent this, citizens need to be more vocal with places that don't cater to the majority of their customers like us. The non-smoking part of most restaurants are normally the most demanded, yet people that don't like smoke, do nothing to try to convince owners to react to the majority which are the non-smokers. Non-smokers went straight to their representatives. So it isn't really a matter of the government telling us what to do as much as us demanding that our representatives support the majority with laws. So guess what, the govt. does our job. The failure of bars and restaurants to provide proper ventilation has played a huge part in causing this situation.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:55 PM

810 posts, read 2,293,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
When the general public does not take the personal responsibility to make a decision that guards the welfare and/or desires of the majority of its citizens, the state, federal, or local government will inevitabaly take action.

We all want less government controls (most of us anyway). To prevent this, citizens need to be more vocal with places that don't cater to the majority of their customers like us. The non-smoking part of most restaurants are normally the most demanded, yet people that don't like smoke, do nothing to try to convince owners to react to the majority which are the non-smokers. Non-smokers went straight to their representatives. So it isn't really a matter of the government telling us what to do as much as us demanding that our representatives support the majority with laws. So guess what, the govt. does our job. The failure of bars and restaurants to provide proper ventilation has played a huge part in causing this situation.
The American gov't has become a parenting organization.

Congrats on your win comrade.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:52 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,880 times
what will all those "nonsmokers" do now when they can't bum a cigarette while
partying?
have been to so many places that as soon as one person lights up, people start to
line up to just have one of your cigarettes . of course they are not "smokers" per se and
absolutely can't tolerate the smell of tobacco but could they just have one----?

Old 12-15-2009, 05:36 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,522,604 times
me, me, me generation...

so sad that this country and it's citizens have come to this.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
what will all those "nonsmokers" do now when they can't bum a cigarette while
partying?
have been to so many places that as soon as one person lights up, people start to
line up to just have one of your cigarettes . of course they are not "smokers" per se and
absolutely can't tolerate the smell of tobacco but could they just have one----?
Sorry, they are not "nonsmokers".

Old 12-15-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
The American gov't has become a parenting organization.

Congrats on your win comrade.
Spasibo

Old 12-15-2009, 10:33 AM

810 posts, read 2,293,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Spasibo
Pazhalusta, nyeh zah shto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte