Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2009, 02:43 PM

810 posts, read 2,293,241 times

Advertisements

This thread makes me want to crawl out of my skin.

How about a law for decible control within an establishment? After all, if a band or DJ is playing music too loud, it's damaging my hearing. Since it's a public place I have the right the to be there without all that noise invading my "private space".

By the way, don't kid yourself in thinking that majority makes the rules in a democracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 03:39 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,901,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
This thread makes me want to crawl out of my skin.

How about a law for decible control within an establishment? After all, if a band or DJ is playing music too loud, it's damaging my hearing. Since it's a public place I have the right the to be there without all that noise invading my "private space".

First, there are decible controls. That is why people call the police on establishements when they get too loud. You really didn't know that? Secondly, although your analogy is pretty silly, a nightclub is a place that entertains with music. Thus, people that go there go for the purpose of listening to music. People go to restaurants to eat and bars to socialize and drink, not for the purpose of being entertained by smoke from cigarettes or cigars.

By the way, don't kid yourself in thinking that majority makes the rules in a democracy.
We're discussing laws, not rules. Major difference.

Last edited by vindaloo; 12-12-2009 at 03:57 PM..

Old 12-12-2009, 04:38 PM

[quote=vindaloo;12000248]We're discussing laws, not rules. Major difference. [/QUOTE

Laws, rules...you know what I'm saying.

My point is that of an entitlement state that this country has become . This country was founded on the principle of freedom of choice. Everytime one of these laws are passed, a little more of our freedom is taken away.

....and yes, I'm aware of noise ordinance (broken a few myself ). I was refering to inside.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:53 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
It is simple. Public restaurants are open to the public. The public must be protected from things that are harmful.
Yes, restaurants are "open to the public" - but the public is not forced to be there. As a member of the public, you can walk into a bar, see people smoking, and turn around and walk right back out. One can easily protect themselves from the "harm" of secondhand smoke simply by choosing to not be around it. More to the point, a restaurant may be open to the public, but it is still a privately owned establishment and smoking is a legal activity - therefore, it should be up to the owners to make that decision with regards to legal activities.
Quote:
The law is not catering to my preferences, it is catering to the majority.
By that logic (taken to an extreme), if the majority of the populace were to feel that homosexuality should be a crime, then such behavior could rightfully be outlawed.

Bringing this down to less hyperbolic level - if the majority of the populace is anti-smoking (and needs a law to protect it from smoking-related harm) why don't we simply pass a law making smoking illegal - period? The fact that our elected officials will never do that (because they depend on the tax revenues) clearly shows that our lawmakers are not truly looking out for the good of "the majority."
Quote:
It isn't that I am so anti-smoking as much as I hate smelling like an ashetray and the headache and caugh I get from smoke.
So stay away from smoking bars and stick to the smoke-free ones. It is that simple.
Quote:
Because there are so many more smoking places than non-smoking.
I thought I had read (on this very board, not long after I moved here) that, at least in Meck. Co., it was about a 50-50 split between smoking-permitted and non-smoking establishments (all decided voluntarily by their respective owners). Is that incorrect? Going back to my Ayrsley example, 5 out 7 restaurants here are voluntarily smoke-free. If that is representative of the larger community, that would seem to refute your claim.

Quote:
Tober, I am sure you are a great guy and I would likely feel like you if I smoked. I hope your adjustment to the new law is easy and hope that you might even quit smoking.
Agreed - this is nothing personal against you - we just disagree (strongly) about this issue. We might have a fine old time if we hung out and had a few drinks.

However, as I have stated before, my feelings about this law have nothing to do with the fact that I smoke. I have no problem going to smoke-free establishments, and do so quite frequently. If I'm at a bar where I can't smoke - no big deal - I'll happily step outside without complaint and do not feel put out. My opposition to this law (like other posters on this topic who have clearly stated that they do not smoke) is that I see it as an infringement of the rights of those who own these establishments to decide for themselves, without government interference, what legal activities they choose to allow within the confines of their privately-owned establishments.

It seems like I am starting to repeat my points, so I think I'm pretty much talked out on this subject.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:04 PM

I can't help but think of this old Monty Python skit when I read this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

Old 12-12-2009, 06:10 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,319,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
Hmm.
Gang-rape is a Democracy...

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
-Ben Franklin

Old 12-12-2009, 06:17 PM

870 posts, read 3,529,612 times
Not a smoker, never was a smoker but I do believe that everyone has their rights to decide what is best for themselves. If something is legal, then leave it alone. What happens when marijuana is legalized? Still gonna go the bars and restaurants then?

Look out McDonalds and Burger King, those fries and burgers will kill ya.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:39 PM

445 posts, read 1,167,125 times
I am a non-smoker, hate smelling smoke, and hate sitting in smoky restaurants. However, I feel that a private business should be able to allow smoking if they choose - since it is not against the law. It is then my choice whether or not to frequent their establishment. I also never thought I would see the day North Carolina would outlaw smoking in restaurants. All that said, I won't miss the smoke, but I don't think government needs to be involved in things like this.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:14 AM

459 posts, read 699,620 times
This whole thing makes me think of this

Old 12-13-2009, 06:17 AM

459 posts, read 699,620 times
How is this control considered legal or constitutional? Is it for the "greater good"? Where have we heard that before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte