Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:26 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,826,899 times

Advertisements

I can hardly wait for Jan 2. First place to get my business back is O'Shea's, DH and I will be ordering up some fish n chips. We went a couple of months ago, walked in, turned around and walked right back out. It had a fog of smoke and unfortunately smoke is a migrain trigger for me. Fish n chips and a migrain that lasts for 3 days, not worth it. So a few restaurants that have lost our business will now be getting it back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 08:28 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
I'm on the fence on this one....as a former smoker who quit cold turkey 3 yrs ago, I should be all for these laws, but I don't like Govco telling private establishments if they can allow smoking or not. Last I checked, no one had a gun to their head saying "You must eat at THIS particular restaurant that allows smoking..."

Next thing, they'll start banning smoking in PUBLIC places....

Oh, silly me, have they done that already....?

Old 12-10-2009, 08:32 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,856,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

We havent had a good drama thread in awhile, so im getting the

I don't miss the smoke in dining rooms. I don't care for the bar bans though.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:34 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, we all want to live a healthy life. That is our top priority - living a health life. Gotta draw a line when it comes to our health.

Actually, now that I think about that . . . (NOT directing this at you, DEP, just thinking out loud here . . . ) I believe the obesity rates in this nation show that we DO NOT want to work that hard at it, tho.

If we really were so concerned about our health, we wouldn't have 2/3 of the folks in this nation being overweight. And a staggering Diabetes rate that continues rising . . .

And we would ban all combustion engines, since cars put out a smorgasbord of carcinogens.

And we would make sure no one lived in houses with asbestos or lead paint.

And we would stop chlorinating water - we would use oxygenation systems. And we would make sure no one had even a TRACE of arsenic in their water source.

And we would stop the manufacture of hair color and food dye. And we would not eat fish that contained even a TINY bit of mercury.

So I take it back. I guess we really are not that concerned about our health issues . . . if it is something we ourselves have to do like give up our fast food, hair color or our car. But we will clap our hands when there is a law passed that makes THE OTHER GUY have to change his/her habits, Hee Hee.
Commenting on obesity--Our governments prior goal right now is money. When we go to the hospital for some disease we have, that keeps the hospitals in business. When we want cheap food. Where do we go? Fast food restraunts of course, which in fact <b>can be</b> unhealthy and <b>can</b> lead to obesity. So when someone goes to the hospital because of diabetes, the government doesn't want to tell people what to do because of how much money we (they) would lose. There are programs for obese children though, but that is about it.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:41 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,597 times
Sorry I was getting off topic.
Anyway I congradulate those whom have succsefully quit smoking and hope for the best for those with smoking issues.
I am glad for you nascarnancy

Old 12-10-2009, 09:40 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,629,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
January 2, will be the first day that smoking will not be permitted in restaurants and/or bars in North Carolina. What a great day that will be. There will be so many people that will strart going out after that day. Despite the initial complaints of smokers, practically all cities that have passed such laws have enjoyed increased business. I remember being in San Francisco when the stopped smoking in restaruants/bars and everyone was saying that they would stop going out. Guess what, business went up 16 percent after only six months. Can't believe that there are still 12 states that have not passed similar laws.
Yeah!!!

Old 12-10-2009, 09:42 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,629,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
It doesn't infringe on your "right" if you don't go to the restaurant. Choices.

Forcing the hand of the owner because you feel like you have some sort of right in their place of business is BS! It's THEIR business. THEY own it. If they want to cater to smokers, they should be allowed to!

Ok, I'm done now. Carry on
In California, you can continue to cater to smokers if you want to. You make the business a "private" club and voila.... you can smoke all you want. Is the law not the same in Meck?

Old 12-10-2009, 09:57 PM
am2

413 posts, read 856,315 times
meggadittos sophiale

Old 12-11-2009, 06:22 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dep8477 View Post
This is not a logical comparison. If someone goes to a strip club, they are more than likely going because of the nudity. Therefore, someone not seeking nudity would probably not end up there in the first place. People going to places that serve the public, such as restaurants, are going there for food. They are not going to there to possibly be exposed to cigarette smoke. There is a big difference with not going somewhere because it could offend you visually versus not going somewhere because it could negatively affect your health.
True, but my point was much more basic: if a certain establishment is not to your liking - be it due to the allowance (or prohibition) of smoking, the fact that naked people are on a pole, the type of music played, or any other reason - you can choose not to go there and go spend your money and your time elsewhere at a place that better suits you. As in Nascarnancy's post above - you have the freedom to turn around and walk out the door.

But, as Ani and others have already pointed out - the main issue here is not about the rights of non-smokers to have a smoke-free environment, nor is it about the rights of smokers to have a place to light up. The issue is that the owners of private establishments (which are open to the public) are losing the right to decide what types of legal activities are allowed inside that establishment.

The only person who should have a say in making the decision of whether smoking is allowed or not in Joe's Bar & Grill is Joe, the owner. Not you, not me and not the state. A lot of places here are already smoke-free voluntarily. Say Joe looks around and sees every other bar on the block is smoke-free and is doing more business than him. If he's a smart businessman, he'll take his place smoke-free as well. But we can let the public dictate that by voting with their wallets. We don't need a law forcing his hand in that regard.

As to the law itself, I have to say that those who voted for it are, in a sense, a bunch of hypocrites. If these lawmakers are truly concerned about the harmful effects of smoking, then let's see them step up, draft, and pass a law banning cigarettes altogether - smoking them, selling them, etc. That would be, to use Vindaloo's example, a law for the health of the common majority. But they will never do that, because then they would lose all of that tax revenue. And that influx of cash trumps their interest in public health.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Even though doesnt matter how you feel on the issue I highly suggest you visit the house of one the pioneers of North Carolina the Late R.J. Reynolds he didnt get to enjoy the house he died I think of yellow fever but his wife did live there. But his wife did and she contributed to the comunity by building a church and school, both are across Renaulda Village (it reminds me of Birkdale). Unlike Biltmore you have free roam of the house and can have an audio tour of the mansion. It is a beautiful home even has a dumb waiter but the sun room is my favorite and the indoor pool is pretty cool.
It also an Art Gallery so you can check out the various art work.
I thought it was kinda hard to find but it is nestle back where the historical marker is on Reynaulda Road in Winston Salem. It not to far from Old Salem if you want to Check Old Salem out for Christmas.
It also has a botanical garden in the spring you can check that out maintain by Wake Forest.
It also decked Out for Christmas.

I bet this legislation cause Mr Reyenaulds to row over in his grave
Reynolda House
They have candlelight tours this weekend

Its funny my high school took a field trip to the RJR plant to see how cigarettes was made
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte