Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,888 times

Advertisements

What about all the PRIVATE BARS in NC?The small clubs that are barely hanging on?I hope our busiess will increase 16 percent in 6 months.If we can hold on that long Thanks to the already sucking economy.The private clubs should have been left alone.I do smoke and I do understand the no smoking in public places but if I paid for a membership to a club I already know what goes on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 03:42 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,904,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuellar View Post
What about all the PRIVATE BARS in NC?The small clubs that are barely hanging on?I hope our busiess will increase 16 percent in 6 months.If we can hold on that long Thanks to the already sucking economy.The private clubs should have been left alone.I do smoke and I do understand the no smoking in public places but if I paid for a membership to a club I already know what goes on there.
If you belong to a private club at which you have to pay membership and fill out an application, etc. I believe the smoking law is exempted and it is a management option. I hope your business increases in any case.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:10 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,223,718 times
I am happy for it, and will frequest certain places more often. Plus it will save me money as I don't have to wash my jackets and sweaters if I go to one of those places. I crack up at my friend as she has a jacket just for going to smoking places so not to "ruin" her others.

I do question how people say second hand smoke doesn't effect others healthwise or not. Suprised thats an argument against a non-smoking ban.

Also of note.. to those that think bars and restaurants are places where the proprietor can do whatever she/he wants, you are incorrect. They are regulated and licensed and have to meet laws by the gov't already. If you open to public, you are have lost a lot of your rights. They have to be inclusionary and safe.

I don't know whether I like the gov't adding this as a law. Again I personally am for it as a non-smoker, but I don't want the gov't to have too much control. It's a balancing act and I don't know.. it could tip easily. But smoking became a hot topic and there weren't too many people supporting smokers period. As many of said, fat foods is next.. Well that will suck.. but then again.. maybe I will enjoy my tofu shakes. :O

From a business perspective, I think this puts businesses on an even playing field. LIke it or not. Because most bars knew to compete they had to allow smoking, so non-smokers didn't have much choice. Bowling alleys, pool halls, etc.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:22 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,709,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
If you belong to a private club at which you have to pay membership and fill out an application, etc. I believe the smoking law is exempted and it is a management option.
That is correct. I am currently sitting in the smoking lounge at the USAir Club at CLT at this very moment.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:25 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,323,154 times
I'm just not sure Waffle House will be the same without a little smoke in the air - just sayin'...

Old 01-06-2010, 02:33 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,188,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
That is correct. I am currently sitting in the smoking lounge at the USAir Club at CLT at this very moment.
I don't think that USAir thing is going to last much longer.

"private clubs - country clubs or organizations with selected membership - which are operated by the membership, have non-profit status, and provide restricted food and lodging services"

I guess that in the current economic environment, USAir could be considered a non-profit.

from SmokeFree.NC.gov (North Carolina Division of Public Health: Tobacco Prevention and Control Branch)

Old 01-06-2010, 02:51 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,634,707 times
Has anyone noticed an increase in people using the electronic cigarettes or whatever those things at the mall kiosk are called?

Old 01-06-2010, 05:17 PM

2 posts, read 7,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I don't feel that I should be restricted from going to any public establishment just because someone is not smart enough to take care of his/her own health or considerate enough to care about others. Look at it this way, there is more room for smoking outside than inside. Lets face it, who smokes these days? A very small minority.

Laws are created when the majority of citizens are threatened or affected by the wrongful acts of the minority and a higher authority has to step in to protect the majority. Thank god for democracy. And, as far as the two of us having to make grown-up decisions, we did when we decided not to smoke. Guess you missed the boat?
Public establishment? Why do you have a problem with freedom of choice? Why do you feel you, government or anyone else has the right to tell a privately owned business how they run that business?

I can't change what has happened(at least not on my own) but it does not making the anti smoking law right.

As to protecting non smokers from smokers, that was always in the hands of the non smoker. They always had the choice of not going to establishments that allowed smoking.

Democracy has nothing to do with what goes on in someone's private property.

Where I work are sales were less than half what they were last year at the same time as a result of the rediculous government control over private business.

Perhaps you will be very happy when every aspect of your life is government controled.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:52 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,407,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsofnc View Post
...Where I work are sales were less than half what they were last year at the same time as a result of the rediculous government control over private business...
Call me crazy, but the overall slumping economy might be playing a bigger role in this decline than the smoking ban, don't you think?

We have good friends that smoke and they don't seem to have any problem still going out to eat or to the bar. I'm sure it's an inconvenience compared to the old laws, but I don't think it's enough to stop people from going out.

I could be wrong, though.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:59 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,715,849 times
After 2 years of a ban on smokng in clubs and restaurants in NYC, one of the "trail blazers" on the subject, a re-cap was published this week in the NY Times. Simply stated the ban has failed in clubs, and late nite party venues. People smoke openly in these venues but in restaurants the ban is very much in effect.

Sit back and see what the ban in Charlotte is really all about before you judge it because you don't know if in this "smoking state" it will even be enforced. . . now or in a year or two.

BTW: I am a non-smoker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte