Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 05:49 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,360,641 times

Advertisements

See it's deja vu with this thread: everyone posting pictures of snakes again. I'm getting chills. Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 05:56 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,138,312 times
If you dont like snakes charlotte is one of the best places to live in North Carolina. Less than 30 minutes south east of here they have the caneback rattle snake...Very deadly and over in crowders mountain state park the piggy rattle snake. Never heard of any cotton mouths in Meck county either. The copper head found here can grow up to about 6 feet and be as big around as your upper arm but Ive only seen live ones much smaller..Here is what crawled out of my car as I drove it into my garage last week
Attached Thumbnails
Alright, I need the real DL on snakes in Charlotte..-final-ford-013.jpg   Alright, I need the real DL on snakes in Charlotte..-final-ford-010-400.jpg  

Old 05-06-2010, 06:48 PM

587 posts, read 1,625,103 times
I would advise buying a home that backs up to woods or a creek if you are worried about snakes. We just moved into our house in South Charlotte (kind of between Ballantyne and Matthews) and are in a quite wooded neighborhood. Our house backs us to both woods and a creek. My neighbors have informed me that there have been 3 or 4 copperheads spotted this Spring so far in people's yards. There was actually a baby in our driveway, right near the ivy bed 2 nights ago. It was about 12 inches long and brown. It didn't appear to have a pattern at all so I'm guessing not a copperhead? We looked up "newborn copperhead" on the internet and all the pictures appeared to have the distinctive copperhead markings already. My daughter saw a big black one in the creek ("right near where we were sitting in the water the day before" : 0 Yikes!! ). She said it hissed at them and they ran. Anyhow - I've advised my kids to always wear shoes (not sandals) when walking in the woods or near the creek and to keep their eyes open for snakes. I also have stopped walking my dogs in the woods in the morning and evening when they are more likely to be out and am trying to keep them out of the beds and pine needles. I have to say that if I had known how prevalent they are in THIS neighborhood, I'd have likely looked elsewhere, though I REALLY LOVE the neighborhood, all the trees, the people are awesome and my kids have made friends really quickly - so all in all I guess we'll just take precautions and everything will likely be just fine.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:31 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,149,261 times
Just last week a 3 foot copperhead was found in the shrubs at Ballantyne Corp Park, last year a 12 year old girl was bitten by a copperhead in Ballantyne Country Club Subdivision and my next door neighbor's dog was bitten by a copperhead in their fenced back yard also in Ballantyne. They are definitely here.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:42 PM

578 posts, read 2,599,070 times
Almost three years and I've never seen a snake. But I stay inside. My son said he has seen a few, but he likes to go in the woods between our developments. Stay inside = no snakes!

Old 05-06-2010, 08:45 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
OMG Nativechief! I absolutely love snakes, but I would freak the heck out if that thing was in my car with me!!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:10 AM

554 posts, read 1,507,963 times
I know I'm kinda freaked out myself with that snake in a car. GROSS. Where was your car? How do you think it got in?

Old 05-07-2010, 08:24 AM

689 posts, read 1,656,782 times
I had several black snakes in my yard last year...and have seen signs of one this year (poop). I fall in the 'very scared of snakes' category...but am trying to work through it as I think they are inevitable here.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:09 AM

587 posts, read 1,625,103 times
Sorry I meant to say I would advise NOT living near the woods or a creek. Right after I wrote that post last night, a friend of my daughter's who was at our house, whips out her cell phone and says "want to see the snake that was in our garage last weekend?" (I hadn't said anything about snakes - maybe she is a bit psychic......) She proceeds to show us a picture of a pretty large snake - maybe about 3-4 feet long that was hanging out right under the open garage door. They don't think it was poisonous, but apparently they killed it because it was getting aggressive as they tried to get it to move away from the house. So - there you go - they are definitely around. The bug guy (yes from this sight) sprayed my house for me about a month ago and he warned me to keep the garage door shut as it gets warmer as they will be looking for a cool place to hang out......

Old 05-07-2010, 09:33 AM

550 posts, read 1,808,490 times
Been here 3 years, do a lot of hiking.... never seen one anywhere within 30 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte