Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When out of town, where do you say that you're from?
Chicago 21 42.00%
Chicago area/suburbs 16 32.00%
Chicagoland 8 16.00%
Illinois 3 6.00%
Midwest 2 4.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:22 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times

Advertisements

Depends. When I'm downstate, IA, WI, MI, IN I say Arlington Heights and if I get a blank look I explain it's a NW suburb. Many people know Arlington Heights, especially because of the horse track. In Canada, TX or Europe I would say Chicago or Chicago suburb depending on how long I think the conversation is going to be(or how long I want it to go for)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 07:43 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Well, when travelling out of the country I say "near Chicago", which is the only way for someone with only a general concept of the US to have a clue approximately where I live. When I lived in Milwaukee, I would say "Milwaukee" to blank stares, and I would have to say, "north of Chicago."

When I am travelling more locally I say a burb of Chicago, or maybe Naperville if I feel they know the Chicago area somewhat. My wife just says Naperville to everyone, then explains if she has to...maybe I am lazy that way.

I guess I will answer your poll and say "Chicago area/suburb"

Old 10-07-2010, 09:50 AM

172 posts, read 438,363 times
When people ask where I am from I say Chicago because I am originally from Chicago (born and lived there for over 25 years). If people ask where I live I say Chicago burbs.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:54 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
I was in Florida one year and I met a family who said they were from Chicago. I asked them what part of Chicago were they from and they said Rantoul (!?!?)

Old 10-07-2010, 10:00 AM

174 posts, read 524,640 times
I like a lot of these answers. Personally, if I am downstate, in Wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana, or Michigan, I will say I am from the North Shore, or the northern suburbs of Chicago.

If I am out of the midwest I tell people I am from the Chicago area. I am considering saying something like "an hour north of Chicago," or "northern Illinois," because the last time that I was out of town I said the Chicago area and the people started questioning me about the violence that I encounter, which is terribly ignorant and something I would like to avoid.

If I am out of the country I will just say that I am from America, or something like that.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:36 PM

721 posts, read 1,794,399 times
I just say Chicago because...

1.) My parents live off the first exit on I-94 that's not in the city (Touhy)
2.) If I cross the street and walk 5 blocks, I'm in Chicago
3.) I live a little over a mile from the Edgebrook Metra stop and a little over a mile from the Yellow Line.

My friends from school came home with me one weekend (they're from Indiana and wanted to see Chicago) so I drove them to the Skokie-Edgebrook boarder and said we're here

Old 10-07-2010, 03:48 PM

174 posts, read 524,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
I just say Chicago because...

1.) My parents live off the first exit on I-94 that's not in the city (Touhy)
2.) If I cross the street and walk 5 blocks, I'm in Chicago
3.) I live a little over a mile from the Edgebrook Metra stop and a little over a mile from the Yellow Line.

My friends from school came home with me one weekend (they're from Indiana and wanted to see Chicago) so I drove them to the Skokie-Edgebrook boarder and said we're here
Well, your profile says differently. It says 'Suburban Chicago'

Old 10-07-2010, 04:04 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Born and raised in Chicago and now live in Maywood.

If they ask where I'm from I say i LIVE in Maywood.

I don't say I'm FROM maywood.

Maybe no one really notices the difference but I still say it even if it just to satisfy myself.

But yeah, everyone usually finds out one way or another I'm from Chicago. I rep that **** like crazy.

I can walk or ride a bike to Chicago anyway...

The neighborhoods mesh. No outsider would notice we're in a suburb.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:07 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Simply having a Chicago address on your ID doesn't make you a Chicagoan.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:44 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
I am really liking the fact that this is not argumentative at all!!!!!!!!!!! (like I thought it would be) [hope I didn't speak too soon]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs