Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 11:57 PM

30 posts, read 66,440 times

Advertisements

To all, I just had the opportunity to see things on both sides of the spectrum. Mind you, I love all; however, I don’t like the ones that are not open minded. Having all of my so-called education has allowed me to see life a little bit differently. I had the opportunity to live among Africans, Europeans, Asians, Arabs, and etc. all in one place for about 15 or more years. Yes, when most neighborhoods experience White Flight, neighborhoods tend to decline; however, the same can be said of Black Flight (yes, majority there is Black Flight). As mentioned, most Black and Hispanics, want the same opportunities as their White counterparts. I think most people are brainwashed as a whole. Why do you think all of your Whites flock to the North side which has pockets and crime (not as bad as some areas, but over all it is considered a good area? I am going to be honest; I have a love hate relationship with the city. I like the city in regards to the proximity of the things that I like to do; however, I don’t want to have to look over my head every five minutes. Most of all I don’t do CTA. After catching trains and buses in Tokyo/Metra, I don’t feel safe on the CTA in no neighborhood. At least I can sleep on the former without being jacked… LOL. I guess if the majority is White in Hell it is a good place to be right?

As for Orland, Frankfort, Mokena, and Tinley Park, when I visit those areas with the hubby, we comment on the people that frequent the big box stores. Most of the people act and look like a bunch of hicks that think it is still Jim Crow in the 1960s. Orland Park just reminds me of a cluster#$%$ and poorly planned. Most of these people are so afraid of being around people different than them, so they keep moving, and moving until they move off the face of the earth. Also, people compare Carl Sandburg to Homewood Flossmoor. In my opinion they are equally okay schools. Carl Sandburg receives a lot of accolades because it is majority White. I had the opportunity of working with some of the majority from the school and realized that they were just as dumb as some of the students from HF that the majority always talks about. Some of these girls worked for me in Orland Park and had most of the social ills associated with inner city kids (illiteracy, teen pregnancy, and etc). They were just as ignorant as the people you see on the news every night being portrayed by the media.

Point making, I would rather stay put in Homewood Flossmoor and be around people like myself and the majority who have C L A S S until we all just give up and flock to the North side, Orland Park, or off the Earth as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 03:06 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,192 times
Not to be off base but what does that have to do with the metra se cooridor

Old 05-22-2011, 09:53 PM

363 posts, read 439,552 times
Yeah okay, I admit I got a little off topic too in the interest of getting to know people here and sharing a little about myself. Some of the above comments had me lol in agreement, you need a sense of humor in this world.

I think most people will agree that they want safe neighborhoods, good schools, affordable taxes ( I would wish for low taxes, but mostly, I want to see tax dollars spent wisely). I really hope that there isn't a mass exodus of tax-paying homeowners, that is the core issue as regards changing demographics IMO.

Maybe I should rephrase the question: How will the new Metra SouthEast Line affect the south suburbs that are the proposed stops: will it hurt/help property values, how/what commuters will be affected, will it add to local economic woes/gains?

Old 05-23-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
Yeah okay, I admit I got a little off topic too in the interest of getting to know people here and sharing a little about myself. Some of the above comments had me lol in agreement, you need a sense of humor in this world.

I think most people will agree that they want safe neighborhoods, good schools, affordable taxes ( I would wish for low taxes, but mostly, I want to see tax dollars spent wisely). I really hope that there isn't a mass exodus of tax-paying homeowners, that is the core issue as regards changing demographics IMO.

Maybe I should rephrase the question: How will the new Metra SouthEast Line affect the south suburbs that are the proposed stops: will it hurt/help property values, how/what commuters will be affected, will it add to local economic woes/gains?
Prarie Girl
The benefits to having an extension in the areas will help but they will not boost values too much.

Just think of it this way you have stops in homewood , flossmoore,olympia fields, richton park and on down the line.

Its not as if those areas are insulated from the housing market because they are on the electric line.

If the project happens it would be more less a great benefit living close to a commuter line which in turn may help sell a home quicker or give it a leg up on one that is not near a line

From what i know the purpose of the line is to relieve congestion on the roads and have a greater access to job markets in the city

I would not worry about a mass exodus for people moving
Illinois has a lot to offer and is a great state and the villages and cities are awesome for many reasons.

Everyplace has its up and downs pluses and minuses
for one thing the electric line has more departing and arrivals then a counterpart the south shore line.

Dont let this thing eat you apart its a long way down the road from now
wish i could help you out more with this as i would like to see it happen soon too.

in short it has none and i mean literally no negative impacts only positives
and yes thornton will benefit from the line without a doubt

Old 05-26-2011, 08:07 PM

363 posts, read 439,552 times
sunny~I am staying positive that it will happen sooner or later!

Old 05-27-2011, 03:06 AM

Here I thought myself as the number one advocate of the se extensions , that was before I saw your comments.

I will remain positive as well.

The line will eventually get done and to me and you the sooner the better.

I do not see anything but benefits with the line at
along the lines of values in the south burbs
just yesterday in one of the publications i read an article about the foreclosures across the nation
it has just literally devastated communities.

eventually the homes will be restocked but there is such a large supply of homes on the market
that in itself is hurting values
and the south burbs were hit pretty bad in ereas with predatory lending practices.
long since removed for the most part

Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 PM

320 posts, read 717,543 times
It wouldn't necessarily change anything because of the fact that the problems with the growth in the south suburbs have nothing to do with transportation. The area that the propose metra line will go through already has one of the highest concentration of Pace bus routes in southern Cook Country. The areas with the least amount of public transportation are the areas with the higher incomes and do a lot more driving.

Plus, if you thing about it, the Metra Electric hasn't done anything to revitalize Harvey and Riverdale. There are at least four stops that go through Harvey and Riverdale and they still appear to be getting worse. I don't see many people jumping to buy in those towns.

The problem with the South Suburbs is that the area consist of a lot of small rust belt cities that has seen its best days pass and has since only been able to attract mostly lower to moderate income Blacks and Hispanics. Which brings me to my second point. Because the area mainly attracts lower to moderate income Blacks and Hispanics, whites and other minority groups (including many blacks and Hispanics) are very reluctant to move to the area. There are other problems but these are to two major ones in my opinion.

Therefore, the building of a new Metra line will not solve the problems these communities are facing because of the fact that public transportation isn't whats hindering the area's growth. It will only serve to make it more convenient for commuters who work downtown. Now if these areas somehow connected to the proposed STAR line, then now we're talkin'.

The only communities I see this line revitalizing is Crete, Steger and maybe Lynwood. This is because there is a lot of room for development in those suburbs unlike many of the other cities in the proposed district. Plus, Crete in particular, was already targeted for growth 10 years ago. The city was already in the process of developing hundreds of acres of retail space; not to mention the fact that its located in Will county with its cheaper taxes; and there are a lot more whites to ensure that the property value increase. Also, I think its a genius idea to end it at Balmoral Park. This line will also benefit other Will County cities such as Beecher and NWI cities such as Dyer.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:37 PM

300 posts, read 638,899 times
We need this line, It will be a GREAT addition to the Metra services.
I think after this project is complete, we should expand the Union Pacific/North Line which ends in Kenosha Wisconsin to Milwakuee.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:07 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,064,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
We need this line, It will be a GREAT addition to the Metra services.
I think after this project is complete, we should expand the Union Pacific/North Line which ends in Kenosha Wisconsin to Milwakuee.
And don't forget about extending Metra Electric down to Kankakee.

At Northfeild Square Mall, there STILL is a huge map of what the proposal looks like.. I thought it was happening but it hasn't happened yet.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:47 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
I agree with those who say it will somehow be tied to the South Suburban Airport. It would run just east of the site. Did you know that over 2300 acres have already been acquired? If built, along with the airport, the SE line would boost the South Suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs