Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:00 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,491,199 times

Advertisements

Any updates on this? The planning for south shore extension in Indiana is moving along nice. There are going to be two stations in Munster (one along Main St and another along Ridge Rd). This will have direct benefits to Lansing residents as well as Lynwood residents if Main St is ever extended westward to Illinois; however, this is actually something that some Indiana residents do not like.

Towns as far away as Winfield, IN and Crown Point, IN have contributed to this extension but there will be more residents from some Illinois towns using it; some people feel that towns like Lansing will benefit much greater than most NWI towns without having to contribute to it. So I know some are saying to let Illinois build there SE line first...but given the politics and budget issues there, do we see anything happening? I haven't been able to find much news about the Metra SE line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 07:06 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
"Old Thread Warning"

All the action is on the Indiana side. Even the Gary airport is heating up!

Gary airport officially opens expanded main runway

Gary airport traffic rising on positive vibe

Old 08-11-2015, 07:25 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
"Old Thread Warning"

All the action is on the Indiana side. Even the Gary airport is heating up!

Gary airport officially opens expanded main runway

Gary airport traffic rising on positive vibe
I'll believe it when Gary gets scheduled daily air service that lasts an entire year. Regarding the Southeast Rail service, it is about the least needed of possible new starts, the STAR line being the most. But politics being what they are, the most likely to get funded.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:05 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,491,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I'll believe it when Gary gets scheduled daily air service that lasts an entire year. Regarding the Southeast Rail service, it is about the least needed of possible new starts, the STAR line being the most. But politics being what they are, the most likely to get funded.
I will say that the one advantage that the SE service line has is that it is double-tracked (at the very least) from Chicago through to Beecher. I think there could be a station in Beecher, Crete, Chicago Heights, and Glenwood. After Glenwood, it seems as though the SE service line gets too close to the ME service line to really justify putting a station in South Holland (although that would be great!) when there is one in Harvey and putting a station in Dolton when there are two in Riverdale.

Regarding the STAR line, I think that would be great as well and is much needed. I actually think that would get funding before the SE service does, although I do understand what you are saying.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:11 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
What would really be useful would be to have some of the MD-N continue north on the Amtrak tracks and stop in Abbott Park next to Abbvie's main campus and in Gurnee.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:44 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
What would really be useful would be to have some of the MD-N continue north on the Amtrak tracks and stop in Abbott Park next to Abbvie's main campus and in Gurnee.
Probably won't ever happen because the MD-N line spurs west towards Libertyville right around the Rondout junction.

Amtrak, on the other hand, may eventually get a shared stop with MD-N Metra in Lake Forest (technically West Lake Forest) at some point in the future. The Amtrak (Hiawatha) line to Milwaukee does actually go by the Abbott Park campus because it does not spur west at Rondout. Instead it continues north (crossing Atkinson Road) & even cutting through eastern Gurnee. Would be kind of interesting if Amtrak had a pure commuter route to Milwaukee with another added stop in Gurnee. I just don't know how they'd ever make it happen with Amtrak being broke & Wisconsin being averse to spending money.

Btw, the Union Pacific North line (METRA) does have a stop near the Abbvie campus in North Chicago.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:05 PM

224 posts, read 310,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Any updates on this? The planning for south shore extension in Indiana is moving along nice. There are going to be two stations in Munster (one along Main St and another along Ridge Rd). This will have direct benefits to Lansing residents as well as Lynwood residents if Main St is ever extended westward to Illinois; however, this is actually something that some Indiana residents do not like.

Towns as far away as Winfield, IN and Crown Point, IN have contributed to this extension but there will be more residents from some Illinois towns using it; some people feel that towns like Lansing will benefit much greater than most NWI towns without having to contribute to it. So I know some are saying to let Illinois build there SE line first...but given the politics and budget issues there, do we see anything happening? I haven't been able to find much news about the Metra SE line.
Is this a new rail line being built, or an already established rail track? I always thought the SS extension would run along the rail tracks adjacent to Sheffield Ave until you said a station would be at Ridge. Also, Lynwood is starting their second phase extension of Joe Orr Rd on the 17th.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:12 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Problem w/Gary over the years has always been near bankrupt airlines starting service to destination city smaller airports and then going under. There aren't any other amenities around to warrant the big boys as it sits in the middle of protected lands. The service itself for each airline that was there was outstanding. Quick in and out, cheap parking, easy train and bus access and people used it. Plus low takeoff/landing fees compared to midway and O'Hare.

The deal with Daley was never to actually bring passenger service. It was to hold off peotone mega airport. Let one of the mains start regular service out of Gary to your daily destinations and it would pull all of nwi and the south suburbs esp if it meant not going to O'Hare.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:25 PM

720 posts, read 1,084,247 times
Still don't get why people want Peotone over expanding the Aurora Airport. That would give people much better access to the FV and the I-88 Tech Corridor.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:48 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Problem w/Gary over the years has always been near bankrupt airlines starting service to destination city smaller airports and then going under. There aren't any other amenities around to warrant the big boys as it sits in the middle of protected lands. The service itself for each airline that was there was outstanding. Quick in and out, cheap parking, easy train and bus access and people used it. Plus low takeoff/landing fees compared to midway and O'Hare.

The deal with Daley was never to actually bring passenger service. It was to hold off peotone mega airport. Let one of the mains start regular service out of Gary to your daily destinations and it would pull all of nwi and the south suburbs esp if it meant not going to O'Hare.
Absolutely agree...just need a couple flights a day to a hub like Detroit. The emphasis from previous airlines was myopic, focusing on taking region residents to Florida/Las Vegas. What really will get Gary Airport thumping is selling it as a stress free easy way to visit Chicago. The train service at Gary is a hell of a lot nicer than the CTA and has stops at Museum of Science and Industry/UC, McCormick Place, Museum Campus and finishing right smack under the bean. In fact, the combo of the Gary Airport and the South Shore line could really have a positive effect on Chicago's tourist appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs