Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:03 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times

Advertisements

What other areas are you looking at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 10:20 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,443,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
What other areas are you looking at?
Grand Rapids, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Pittsburgh, Shenandoah region of Virginia, within reasonable distance of DC. We want to stay in an area with a distinct 4 season climate. The south is just too warm for us, the west too far from family and friends. Haven't written Chicagoland off completely, but it's on the shelf for now while we research some other spots.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:33 AM

Some nice places on the list. Have you considered: Omaha, Kansas City, St. Louis, Des Moines, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Madison, Lansing?

Old 04-25-2012, 10:44 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,385,490 times
Default Nw indiana!

Its a known fact especially for those that live in the southern metro area that NW Indiana provides a great location and a MUCH lower cost of living.
Taxes and homes values are WAY lower and if you get over the old bad image that was brought about the past's industrial cities such as Hammond and Gary, NWI has some great suburbs within close distance to Chicago.

Consider suburbs such as Munster, Schererville, St. John, Crown Point, Chesterton and Valparaiso. The last couple are farthest out and more of a rural feeling and there other smaller towns to consider. All have good schools and are safe.

* browse the Indiana and NWI section of this forum for much more info.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Some nice places on the list. Have you considered: Omaha, Kansas City, St. Louis, Des Moines, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Madison, Lansing?
Many of those towns are in primo tornado territory, which my wife is scared of, although we fully realize Minnesota and Chicago can get bad storms, too. We just don't want to live in an area where you have to go running for the basement/storm cellar every time the sky gets dark, and some of those places (Omaha, Des Moines) are also a bit too isolated and land locked for our tastes. Lansing is a very bland town, wouldn't live there. Wisconsin doesn't interest us, either. Indy's a nice, affordable town we may eventually consider.

Honestly, we really want to be near one of the bigger metros (Chicago, DC, MSP, etc.) that offers tons to do for us and for the kids whenever we get the urge. I also want my kids to have ample opportunities close to home as they get older, which certainly isn't the case where we live now, hence our interest in a thriving metropolis like Chicago.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Its a known fact especially for those that live in the southern metro area that NW Indiana provides a great location and a MUCH lower cost of living.
Taxes and homes values are WAY lower and if you get over the old bad image that was brought about the past's industrial cities such as Hammond and Gary, NWI has some great suburbs within close distance to Chicago.

Consider suburbs such as Munster, Schererville, St. John, Crown Point, Chesterton and Valparaiso. The last couple are farthest out and more of a rural feeling and there other smaller towns to consider. All have good schools and are safe.

* browse the Indiana and NWI section of this forum for much more info.
Definitely something to consider. Thanks.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:00 AM

Curious about the anti-WI sentiments. We love WI for camping and doing outdoorsy things. I also think Milwaukee has a mini-Chicago vibe to it. I also like Madison a lot, it is the "Austin, TX. of the Midwest" to me. I think both towns rival Indy, with better access to the Great Lakes and inland lakes than IN. Milwaukee is 90 minutes from downtown Chicago and Madison is 2-2.5 hours.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:30 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Curious about the anti-WI sentiments. We love WI for camping and doing outdoorsy things. I also think Milwaukee has a mini-Chicago vibe to it. I also like Madison a lot, it is the "Austin, TX. of the Midwest" to me. I think both towns rival Indy, with better access to the Great Lakes and inland lakes than IN. Milwaukee is 90 minutes from downtown Chicago and Madison is 2-2.5 hours.
I agree. WI is a significantly nicer place to live than IN. No contest really.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Curious about the anti-WI sentiments.
Not anti-WI at all. We have a slew of relatives over there that we'd rather not be too close to.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I agree. WI is a significantly nicer place to live than IN. No contest really.
IDK, there are nice areas in IN and Indy is not bad. I like the climate better with more of a real spring in areas away from Lake Michigan.

I too like WI but don't understand the vitriol towards IN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs