Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 09:40 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,298 times

Advertisements

At the top of your budget, this beaut is not too far from downtown:
808 W Elm St. WHEATON, IL 60189 | Redfin

A little smaller than the first, but under budget and walkable to everything:
726 N Wheaton Ave. WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin

In-town, tons of historic charm and waaaayy under budget, this one needs work but could pay off big time:
111 E Lincoln Ave. WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin >>> I remember a profitable transformation at a home around the corner from this one (last year, while I was shopping): 712 N Main St. WHEATON, IL 60187. It sold for $380k in May, was gutted/renovated, and then sold again for $635k in November... and they say flipping is dead! Probably even more equity to be captured in the Lincoln home given the Main Street home is on a busy road.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 08-13-2014 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 12:02 PM

143 posts, read 244,576 times
Thanks for the candor and great, informative posts, Lookout Kid and holl1ingsworth! The threads and posts on this board have been invaluable to us in learning about towns and expanding our search.

Holl1ingsworth, those houses are awesome! LOVE the one on Wheaton Ave. That's exactly the kind of architecture we're looking for - historic homes, mid-century homes, homes with interesting architecture (and to go along with that, those types of neighborhoods). When we drive around, if it seems too cookie cutter or mcmansion, etc., my husband gets depressed that this is what suburban living is like, so it's been eye-opening to him (and me!) to realize there are a lot of suburbs other than Evanston and Oak Park that have the kind of neighborhoods, culture, walkable downtowns, etc. that we're looking for.

Lookout kid and holl1ingsworth, you both live near the cores of your respective towns? Within walking distance? Did you have any trouble adjusting to life in the suburbs after coming from the city, or was it easier because you were able to walk to coffee shops, etc.? We've been spoiled where we live - I can take my toddler on a walk to numerous parks, the grocery store, any number of bakeries/coffee shops/lunch spots, my favorite stationery and gift store, etc. I don't need the same amount (my husband certainly only needs one coffee shop to go work at once in a while), and I figure as long as we're near the core of one of these towns and can walk to a couple nice places, we'll adjust well?

Thanks!

Old 08-13-2014, 12:19 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsmom View Post
Lookout kid and holl1ingsworth, you both live near the cores of your respective towns? Within walking distance? Did you have any trouble adjusting to life in the suburbs after coming from the city, or was it easier because you were able to walk to coffee shops, etc.?
Yes, I'm roughly a half mile from downtown Glen Ellyn. I have not had much trouble adjusting in terms of amenities. I can walk to the train, the kids' school, parks, a public pool, multiple restaurants and bars, shops, the library... I also have three grocery stores within a mile of my house, though I have always found it easier to drive to those even when in the city. Other than my commute, the only driving I have to do that's more than a mile or so is to go to Home Depot or Target or to the mall to buy clothes. My wife also likes to occasionally shop at the Mariano's in Wheaton or the Valli Produce in Glendale Heights.

We also like to go to Lombard, Wheaton, or even all the way out to Geneva or Oak Brook for dining options. But we go out to eat A LOT, so we get bored easily.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:59 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,298 times
My wife, our kid and I have spent endless hours downtown this summer. The walkable amenities are akin to a city neighborhood (there's even a Mariano's grocery store right downtown) but with a more "small town" feel. The main drag is tree-lined and brick-paved, there is a cute fountain, a small mini-golf course, and the Metra/Union Pacific runs through the center of it all. These things add to the walkability and charm, but don't necessarily have a city neighborhood equivalent. If you do visit, here are a few of my favorite (kid-friendly) spots:

Serene Teaz: tea bar, endless choices
River City Roasters: coffee shop, to die for, with roaster in the window
Graham's Fine Chocolate & Ice Cream: my favorite spot for ice cream, but there are others
Pamplemousse Bakery: try the yummy macarons
The Little Popcorn Store: old-fashioned candy shop, gumballs and lollipops for a nickel
Cosley Zoo: adorable and about a mile from downtown, free for residents but it will cost you $5 at the door (kids are always free)

Wheaton throws a lot of festivals throughout the year too. From the "Taste of Wheaton" (food) to the "Wheaton World Tour" (charity and cultural) and "Wheaton Brew Fest" (beer!) there is always something to look forward to. These street festivals, along with Friday night "Vintage Rides" and the weekend outdoor French market, have really helped us meet new people.

We've also got the usually coffee chains, like Caribou and Starbucks, as well as restaurant chains like Gino's East and Subway. If you want a casual, unique place to eat on a visit, I recommend Suzette's Creperie.

Hope this helps. Don't worry about the transition, you'll have fun no matter which suburb you pick! All the ones on your short list are outstanding.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 08-13-2014 at 02:17 PM..

Old 08-13-2014, 01:18 PM

939 posts, read 2,379,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
At the top of your budget, this beaut is not too far from downtown:
808 W Elm St. WHEATON, IL 60189 | Redfin

A little smaller than the first, but under budget and walkable to everything:
726 N Wheaton Ave. WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin

In-town, tons of historic charm and waaaayy under budget, this one needs work but could pay off big time:
111 E Lincoln Ave. WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin >>> I remember a profitable transformation at a home around the corner from this one (last year, while I was shopping): 712 N Main St. WHEATON, IL 60187. It sold for $380k in May, was gutted/renovated, and then sold again for $635k in November... and they say flipping is dead! Probably even more equity to be captured in the Lincoln home given the Main Street home is on a busy road.
I can't believe someone hasn't purchased the home on Lincoln you linked. Looks like it has tons of potential and sq. feet at a pretty low price. It would be fun to fix that up.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:36 PM

Awesome, that's great to hear, guys!!
And thank you so much for the list of places to go in Wheaton, holl1ngsworth! YUM. They look wonderful and so cute! And how cool that you have Vintage Rides every weekend, that's right up our alley. I think we're going to plan an afternoon trip to check out Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, and Elmhurst very soon.
Paige65 - agreed! If we were ready to move now, I'd seriously consider jumping on that house!

Old 08-15-2014, 04:26 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
I've lived in Wheaton since nineteen eighty nine, and I've never felt it was overly conservative. It certainly is no Evanston or Oak Park, but since the advent of all the new building over the past few decades Wheaton has attracted a diverse population. I live in the south west part of Wheaton and not around the town core so I drive to town to enjoy what it offers. Its everything Hollingsworth says. Its a very well run community and very beautiful.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:06 AM

That is great to know, ToriaT! Thank you. We're making a trip out to Wheaton in the next month or two.
It has been so helpful to receive responses on this board and learn about the different suburbs. Before a few months ago, I really only had a couple places on my radar, and now my list has expanded!

Old 08-18-2014, 01:38 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
When youre in the area, you should check out St. Charles, and maybe even Glen Ellyn. I see you might be priced out of Hinsdale, but you should definitely check it out while youre there, as not every house is ridiculously overpriced as many make it seem. Dont get me wrong, its expensive, but there are some decent houses there that wont cause your Pacemaker to explode. If youre out in the western burbs, another honorable mention is Naperville, as it has a bustling downtown with tons of nightlife.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:01 PM

Thanks Steve-o! We actually just went out to Geneva this weekend. It is truly a charming town and has great neighborhoods. I really liked the houses and neighborhood right around the downtown area. Unfortunately, my husband feels it's too far out, so we'll focus our search closer. Next up in the Western burbs we will definitely check out Glen Ellyn, Elmhurst, Hinsdale, etc. I feel like we have a good handle on the Northern suburbs we're considering, so I'd like to really explore the Western ones.
Thanks again, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs