Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 01:09 PM

3 posts, read 3,743 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am moving to University of Chicago, which is in Hyde Park Chicago. I have a 3 year kid and I hear lot of negative reviews about south chicago.

Can someone advise a safe and nearest indian community.

Thanks in Advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 01:49 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Hyde Park is very nice. The closest Indian community is probably along Devon Ave in Rogers Park or out in the Schaumburg area.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:51 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
You should probably post this in the Chicago forum. Hyde Park is a safe neighborhood because of the campus of University of Chicago. There are Indian communities in various areas of Chicago (Devon is the largest area for Indian shopping). The suburb of Skokie has a large Indian community. My dil's parents live in Evanston-Skokie. My dil's sister and her husband live in Glenview. I am not sure how concentrated the Indian population in Glenview is though. There is also a significant Indian population in Des Plaines and Schaumburg. The suburbs though would not be an easy commute to Hyde Park.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:14 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
Lots of Indians in Naperville too. I have a friend who takes the train into Chicago on the West line Union Pacific and catches a bus to the U. of Cnicago in Hyde park every day. We live in Wheaton. I think the bus goes to both of the stations.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:13 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Towns like LaGrange are decent commute range to UofC, not as visible an Indian population as Oak Brook or Westmont but more affordable than Oak Brook and better schools than Westmont...

Willowbrook is also easy access via the Stevenson, a little more affordable than LaGrange but a bit further west.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:49 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Towns like LaGrange are decent commute range to UofC, not as visible an Indian population as Oak Brook or Westmont but more affordable than Oak Brook and better schools than Westmont...

Willowbrook is also easy access via the Stevenson, a little more affordable than LaGrange but a bit further west.
Welcome back Chet! Missed you buddy. But with all due respect, I would not call Willowbrook "easy access" on I-55. Google maps shows that at this very moment of light traffic, the commute from Madison and Plainfield Road in Willowbrook to 5800 S. Ellis in Hyde Park is 36 minutes. But I bet during rush hour, that would easily skyrocket to over an hour. Probably more like 1:15.

That said, Hyde Park is really a tough one. It's not particularly easy to get to from even most places in the City and the neighborhoods around it aren't what most normal people would want to live in. So if you don't live in Hyde Park proper, you're going to be looking at a tough go of it no matter what you do. So maybe in light of that that Willowbrook is "relatively easy access," though the commute still would be hell.

Of course my personal tolerance for a commute is a half hour. If it goes over that I start getting very annoyed. Maybe someone more used to sprawl would have a higher one, I don't know.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:15 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I specifically said the access is easy -- that is due to the configuration of the interchanges at the Stevenson & Rt 83. "Easy on & Easy Off". Not complicated. A "no-brainer".

There are a fair number of professors with DOE labs at Argonne that is adjacent to Willowbrook that make it back and forth to the University of Chicago in far less than an hour. There are some "tricks" to sneak past a couple of the well known bottlenecks / time of day will make a big difference but it is true that this won't be a "speedy" commute.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:12 AM

Hi Every one. Thanks for your feedback.

Based on the given feedback looks like staying in suburbs will not be an easy thing for me to do. If I would consider staying in Hyde Park or within the Campus (Campus Housing), will it be a safe bet given the fact that I have a 3 year old kid.

I hear some bad reviews about South Side of Chicago and does Hyde Park fall under the same category?

Thanks Much Again.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:19 AM

165 posts, read 309,994 times
I went to University of Chicago as an undergraduate and now work there. I live in Brookfield, and feel that a commute from LaGrange, Brookfield, Riverside, or Berwyn are all reasonable. Also consider Homewood Flossmor or even city neighborhoods like Bridgeport. South looop is popular and offers an easy commute, but it is truly in the city. None of these places have really significant Indian populations and I'm not sure what your budget and other priorities are.

Hyde Park itself might make the most sense in your situation. It is an area full of beautiful architecture, lots of cultural opportunities, and a decent option of restaurants (not so much bars). The majority of UoC professors and many UoC physicians live in Hyde Park, and there are many beautiful large semi-mansions to house them. Obviously also a large student population (undergrads as well as grads), though I can tell you from personal experience that you don't need to worry too much about obnoxious kids causing trouble at 3am...not at the university whos unofficial motto is "where for goes to die"! There are a number of apartment options, though you will probably be sharing buildings with graduate or perhaps undergraduate students (which again isn't a big deal). The undergrads tend to be more located close to the actual campus, whereas some grad students and most of the professors/residents/staff etc that live in apartments/condos tend to live closer to the lake and take a very convenient bus to campus.

Safe is relative depending on your previous experiences. There is definitely crime, but it is significantly lower than surrounding areas. It's kind of an isolated oasis in an otherwise crime-infested, poverty-stricken south side. You have to be aware, but the neighborhood is full of families who are out walking around even in the evening.

My big question would be how long are you planning to stay? Because schooling could become an issue. The University's Laboratory School is one of the best in the entire city, attended primarily by the children of UofC professors. However it comes with a HUGE price tag - even after the discount you get for working at UofC. To my knowledge, the public school options are less than desirable and you would be much better off in the suburbs.

Good luck!

Old 10-26-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agallan View Post
I went to University of Chicago as an undergraduate and now work there. I live in Brookfield, and feel that a commute from LaGrange, Brookfield, Riverside, or Berwyn are all reasonable. Also consider Homewood Flossmor or even city neighborhoods like Bridgeport. South looop is popular and offers an easy commute, but it is truly in the city. None of these places have really significant Indian populations and I'm not sure what your budget and other priorities are.

Hyde Park itself might make the most sense in your situation. It is an area full of beautiful architecture, lots of cultural opportunities, and a decent option of restaurants (not so much bars). The majority of UoC professors and many UoC physicians live in Hyde Park, and there are many beautiful large semi-mansions to house them. Obviously also a large student population (undergrads as well as grads), though I can tell you from personal experience that you don't need to worry too much about obnoxious kids causing trouble at 3am...not at the university whos unofficial motto is "where for goes to die"! There are a number of apartment options, though you will probably be sharing buildings with graduate or perhaps undergraduate students (which again isn't a big deal). The undergrads tend to be more located close to the actual campus, whereas some grad students and most of the professors/residents/staff etc that live in apartments/condos tend to live closer to the lake and take a very convenient bus to campus.

Safe is relative depending on your previous experiences. There is definitely crime, but it is significantly lower than surrounding areas. It's kind of an isolated oasis in an otherwise crime-infested, poverty-stricken south side. You have to be aware, but the neighborhood is full of families who are out walking around even in the evening.

My big question would be how long are you planning to stay? Because schooling could become an issue. The University's Laboratory School is one of the best in the entire city, attended primarily by the children of UofC professors. However it comes with a HUGE price tag - even after the discount you get for working at UofC. To my knowledge, the public school options are less than desirable and you would be much better off in the suburbs.

Good luck!
Thanks you very Much for your detailed response.
I have accepted a Full Time Job with UoC and my stay would be long term. I am a little concerned about my kids school as school might be an issue as you stated.

Thanks Again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs