Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 05:27 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Is the "Come Back Inn" gone?
Yep, closed last year I think. As did Slicker Sams which was a dynamite, hopping place in it's day (Italian food). Remember being there back in the 80s when the waitresses would get up on the table and sing "She Works Hard For the Money". Great stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 05:18 PM

8 posts, read 42,709 times
Default south suburbs

I saw what a previous poster worte, midlothian is kinda icky, I know some folks who are looking to run as soon as they can. blue island is iffy in parts, and has a huge termite problem, my friend and her family lived there for some time with numerous problems. I lived in Evergreen park for most of my life and its ok, if you can the BEST part of EP is west of kedzie and between 95th and 103rd street, the grammer school southwest is the better of all four. the junior high and the HS leave a little to be desired but both have had upgrades and remodled since I left more than 10 years ago. Oaklawn is good and well established taxes can be high but overall decent area, pretty close to the city good shopping and mostly friendly people. just so you know anything south of west beverly/mount greenwood/merrionette park you run into saftey issues. good luck

Old 10-08-2007, 09:58 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,261,014 times
I would consider Orland park, or anything south of that. From what Ive seen the areas north of it can be a hit or miss.. Not sure what area you like but going waay south is nice too like Frankfurt or Mokena-- or even Manhattan if you wanna be way out there

Old 10-08-2007, 11:52 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,508,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdz View Post
Major problem with Melrose Park now is just that Maywood, its next door neighbor, has become a horrific place. Gangs, violence, drugs, the works. Really a shame because there are some beautiful old houses there. There's still decent blue collar areas of Melrose Park, there's a few areas now (esp closest to Maywood) that I wouldn't want to be alone in.
YES! I cannot agree more. I drove through Maywood and Bellwood last Tuesday afternoon and thought I was in Black Harlem, NY. It was TERRIBLE! Gangs were hanging out everywhere and at the Mobil where I had to stop and get gas at I thought I was going to get shot!

I was directly across the street from a truly beautiful high school located on the east side of First Avenue, but I was at the gas station across the street just as school let out for the day. I swear it looked like something from the movie Dangerous Minds or The Principal as I watched the kids coming out of there. First off, a fight broke out immediately where a group of black kids beat the living crap out of some mexican/Puerto Rican right on the sidewalk next to First Avenue. I thought there was going to be a shooting. They finally ran off after the kid was laying on the sidewalk, but he too finally stumbled to his feet and ran off. There were cop cars blaring sirens all over the town, obviously from all the 911 calls coming in from the high level of crime. Third, I swear a drug deal was going down right in the gas station's parking lot as some gang bangers were in this old beat up car sitting there staring at me, then another car drove up threw a paper bag into the other car and the kids in the first car threw something back into the second car. Then they both sped off blasting their horns and cut right out of the Mobil's parking lot screaching tires out of there to go north on First Avenue nearly causing an accident with a semi and some little car going southbound on First Avenue as they turned right in front of both of them.

Overall, I cannot believe how bad the whole area got around there! I used to go to Kiddieland as a kid 30 years ago, and haven't been back since until last week. It's a whole-nother- ball game there now. MP., Bellwood, and Maywood and even parts or Oak Park are VERY VERY VERY bad, stay away! Obviously the west side scum from Chicago have migrated out to that area now.

I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:27 PM

677 posts, read 4,209,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
I was directly across the street from a truly beautiful high school located on the east side of First Avenue,
That would be Proviso East, in case anyone was wondering.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:11 PM

13 posts, read 104,894 times
take alook at lansing very nice and quiet

Old 03-04-2008, 10:49 PM

19 posts, read 60,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I think many many people do NOT find Melrose Park "just fine"
And since when is Melrose Park a "south suburb" anyways? Did the Madison Avenue dividing line between north and south change?

Old 02-15-2011, 09:12 PM

14 posts, read 39,089 times
Bad - hazel crest, harvey, country club hills, east hazel crest, university park, robbins, park forest, dolton, markham, pheonix, posen, glenwood, chicago heights, ford heights, riverdale, parts of homewood

Old 02-15-2011, 09:16 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmwoodguy1 View Post
Bad - hazel crest, harvey, country club hills, east hazel crest, university park, robbins, park forest, dolton, markham, pheonix, posen, glenwood, chicago heights, ford heights, riverdale, parts of homewood
Oh, shut up..

Old 02-15-2011, 09:18 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,334,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Oh, shut up..
At least two-thirds of those can't be argued to be good though at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs