Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 08:56 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
It really depends on what's available in these towns. I remember from another thread that you weren't sure about Geneva because it was too busy. I like Naperville a lot, but it's an even more busier area than Geneva. Unlike Geneva, Naperville doesn't really have unincorporated areas. For me, St Charles, Geneva, and Batavia are very similar, but Batavia is close to an expressway unlike St Charles and Geneva which is better for commuting to many places. For me it would be:
1. Crystal Lake
2. Batavia
3. St. Charles/Geneva
4. Hampshire
5. Algonquin
6. Elgin
Not what you want. Resale.

Resale in Crystal Lake? Tough one. Hampshire and Algonquin too. If Elgin goes through a renaissance, perhaps Elgin could be on the list. Beautiful albeit abandoned downtown. Could be a Naperville of the north. But it may be too far gone at this point. Maybe the sons and daughters of the Wicker and Logan hipsters can gentrify it a decade or two when it's no longer ironic to live in the city... wait is that now?

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 04-24-2015 at 09:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 09:16 AM

720 posts, read 1,083,557 times
I would agree with the aforementioned post. I feel like Elgin has opportunity, but I don't think it will ever happen sadly. Their downtown is truly beautiful, but it is fairly blighted, same going for the Kane Co. portion of Aurora. I feel like Crystal Lake has become to sprawl-y, while the Tri-Cities (not immune to sprawl and McMansions and the like) have still mostly retained their small community feel.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:52 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
St. Charles does not have easy access to highways nor does it have a metra station I like it but would not keep it on the list.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:55 AM

61 posts, read 87,578 times
This is very helpful. We had moved to looking north to crystal lake/algonquin bc of the trees, nature, large lots, but now that we still can't find what we want, we are starting over and it sounds like going back to the trip-cities would be smart. Its funny, we originally started focused on Batavia for all the reasons you listed, but the lack of space/large lots caused us to look elsewhere. We never looked at houses there though, just drove around. Seems like that is most likely to be "up and coming" out of these areas? Any other suggestions welcome

Old 04-24-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwebb219 View Post
This is very helpful. We had moved to looking north to crystal lake/algonquin bc of the trees, nature, large lots, but now that we still can't find what we want, we are starting over and it sounds like going back to the trip-cities would be smart. Its funny, we originally started focused on Batavia for all the reasons you listed, but the lack of space/large lots caused us to look elsewhere. We never looked at houses there though, just drove around. Seems like that is most likely to be "up and coming" out of these areas? Any other suggestions welcome
29W450 Townline Road WARRENVILLE, IL 60555

I tried.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:59 AM

Even though I'm a huge Batavia/Tri-City shipper, I think Warrenville would be a viable option as well. I would caution against the Kaneland area because they are facing their own problems. Elburn is at risk of losing their police department and the property taxes in towns like Sugar Grove are even more horrendous than the Tri-Cities due to the abrupt end of the housing market boom.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:03 AM

61 posts, read 87,578 times
hollings1worth I promise I will send that one to the Hubby, ok?

Old 04-24-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwebb219 View Post
hollings1worth I promise I will send that one to the Hubby, ok?

I might just buy it myself so I can sit out on that back porch sip a Prairie Path Golden and watch the grass grow.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:46 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Not what you want. Resale.

Resale in Crystal Lake? Tough one. Hampshire and Algonquin too. If Elgin goes through a renaissance, perhaps Elgin could be on the list. Beautiful albeit abandoned downtown. Could be a Naperville of the north. But it may be too far gone at this point. Maybe the sons and daughters of the Wicker and Logan hipsters can gentrify it a decade or two when it's no longer ironic to live in the city... wait is that now?
I didn't rank them by resale, I just ranked them by which would be the best for the OP. I don't think that one town necessarily has a better resale value in most cases. I think it really depends on the home and where in a town it's located. I do think it may be tougher in Hampshire, since it's such a small town, but between Crystal Lake and St Charles/Geneva/Batavia, it would really depend on comparing specific houses. In Crystal Lake, homes on the lake will have great resale values.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:01 PM

If you do look in Batavia again, there is a part of unincorporated Batavia (it has a 60510 zip code), that has large-ish lots BUT it feeds into the West Aurora school district, so don't be tempted by it's strangely low prices and large acreage! You don't want to buy in D129.

Not sure if this fits your specifications, but it's right next to Kirk Road, the street that is your most direct line to the highway in the Tri-City area.

Real Estate - 9 Homes For Sale | Zillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs