Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 08:36 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron10 View Post
I know this thread is a month old, but I want to suggest Lisle. It's right next to Naperville, the Arboretum is located there, it has a small, cute downtown and there are many houses for sale under 400k. Several in the Meadows subdivision which has a pool club. Lisle schools are good. If you get into the Green Trails subdivision that feeds into Naperville 203, schools are excellent. I think there is one home under 400k currently on the market in Green Trails. I know 2 professional couples with children who live in Lisle and like it. Also as a bonus, Lisle has one of Chicagoland's only true hills.
Thanks for the suggestion. Even though the thread is somewhat old, we're still in the process of deciding where we can live and probably will be doing so the next few months until we move (probably in March this coming year, so we still have some time to decide). Currently We're looking at houses close to 250k but that's with taxes at 6k a year. If taxes are a bit less we could probably afford more. Things could change as next year approaches but we'll see. May post another thread as we get closer to moving with more specific questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 10:33 AM

17 posts, read 26,699 times
There are several houses in Lisle listed for under 300k. Also check out Palos Hills and Palos Heights which also have homes on the market for under 300k. All are solid middle class communities where the average house sells for much higher. My personal choice would be Lisle though.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:22 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron10 View Post
There are several houses in Lisle listed for under 300k. Also check out Palos Hills and Palos Heights which also have homes on the market for under 300k. All are solid middle class communities where the average house sells for much higher. My personal choice would be Lisle though.
I was looking in Lisle, I actually really like Lisle but be very careful about flood planes as much of Lisle is in flood plains, another thing I noticed sections of it are unincorporated on either Well or Septic which personally for me was a but if a turnoff. I also felt Lisle's property taxes were a bit high a buddy of mine lived in Lisle and was paying about 13k in property taxes for a similar home to what my folks in Naperville were paying 11 or 12 on and I think most would agree Naperville is more desirable.

I personally noticed Downers Grove was some of the lowest property taxes out there from what I noticed, Lombard and Villa Park also seem to fit the bill in terms of being in the west burbs for around 250k with property taxes of about 5k on said house.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I was looking in Lisle, I actually really like Lisle but be very careful about flood planes as much of Lisle is in flood plains, another thing I noticed sections of it are unincorporated on either Well or Septic which personally for me was a but if a turnoff. I also felt Lisle's property taxes were a bit high a buddy of mine lived in Lisle and was paying about 13k in property taxes for a similar home to what my folks in Naperville were paying 11 or 12 on and I think most would agree Naperville is more desirable.

I personally noticed Downers Grove was some of the lowest property taxes out there from what I noticed, Lombard and Villa Park also seem to fit the bill in terms of being in the west burbs for around 250k with property taxes of about 5k on said house.
Good info. thank you.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:42 PM

173 posts, read 111,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Another question - regarding the tri-cities area (and surrounding suburbs with a metra station nearby) how is the renters market for houses? My assumption is that renting a house might be harder (more expensive, less quantity available) than just flat out buying one. Is this true? Trying to prepare myself because I like the idea of renting a house initially and then buying but buying seems more feasible as I look around online.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...66208100566302

take a look at and some more as well, pinch in 60169

Old 04-05-2019, 01:14 PM

9 posts, read 7,391 times
Selling my home in Streamwood which is 5 mins away from the Bartlett train station. Listed for under $290K Lmk if you are serious and I can share the MLS ... I have lived here for 15 years and absolutely love this town. Peaceful, excellent neighborhood, very diverse, close to everything.

Old 04-05-2019, 02:59 PM

529 posts, read 646,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newadventures14 View Post
Selling my home in Streamwood which is 5 mins away from the Bartlett train station. Listed for under $290K Lmk if you are serious and I can share the MLS ... I have lived here for 15 years and absolutely love this town. Peaceful, excellent neighborhood, very diverse, close to everything.
I assume you don't work in sales.

If you are going to solicit on a message board, you may want to find people actively buying a home, not someone who posted about it 1.5 or 5 years ago.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newadventures14 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
I assume you don't work in sales.

If you are going to solicit on a message board, you may want to find people actively buying a home, not someone who posted about it 1.5 or 5 years ago.
Yes, OP here, we did end up buying about a year ago now. So no longer looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs