Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 08:02 PM

23 posts, read 62,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
hat denial are you in, exactly, and why so sensitive to anyone saying anything negetive about Naperville?
Not sensitive about it at all. Naperville isn't for everyone. I just hope you can let your bitterness of the family who chose South Naperville over your Carol Stream home go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 08:39 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I'm a Gen-Xer who graduated from North. One issue is the fact that many of us have left the state. Another is my age group tends to favor the urban setting. I have a lot of friends that live in Chicago who send their kids to magnet schools. Gen-Xers also like diversity. Naperville is not a diverse place. In fact, the theme song from "Weeds" probably sums up Naperville better than any song I've ever heard. The town has an artificial feeling to many that grew up in the area. It has that feeling to many outsiders today, and it continues.
I'm also a Gen-Xer who is not attracted to Naperville, and who prefers urban settings. But I'm just a bit amused by the Gen-Xers and Gen-Yers who want to live in a new subdivision in the burbs, but still shun Naperville. There's definitely something about "Brand Naperville" that has generated a backlash. Somehow Naperville has come to be the epitome of upper-middle class bourgeoise suburbia in Chicagoland, and it seems to me that some are avoiding "Brand Naperville", even though it is what they really want.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:55 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue View Post
Naperville is most definately over rated, period
To YOU!

Old 07-19-2008, 09:01 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I'm also a Gen-Xer who is not attracted to Naperville, and who prefers urban settings. But I'm just a bit amused by the Gen-Xers and Gen-Yers who want to live in a new subdivision in the burbs, but still shun Naperville. There's definitely something about "Brand Naperville" that has generated a backlash. Somehow Naperville has come to be the epitome of upper-middle class bourgeoise suburbia in Chicagoland, and it seems to me that some are avoiding "Brand Naperville", even though it is what they really want.
Yeah it is sort of people that avoid Wicker Park or Lincoln Park to shun those "brands", but choose to live in Uptown or Pilsen when indeed they would really fit in best in the Wicker Park of today (but of course not the Wicker Park of 10-15 years ago or 5 for that matter.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:36 AM

945 posts, read 1,987,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthNapervilleDad View Post
Not sensitive about it at all. Naperville isn't for everyone. I just hope you can let your bitterness of the family who chose South Naperville over your Carol Stream home go.
Trust me, there is no bitterness, period. We sold, this time around, and for more $ than the family from CA who didn't buy last fall, offered. And I also set the record straight for the "carol stream" attachment and its zipcode. The deed on the home, is WHEATON, and it closed that way to the people we sold to.

Also, if not sensitive, why the continuous need to throw "shots", any way you can dig them up. We happen to still live in, and BUILT(tear down) in, unincorporated WHEATON-60187, not 60188. The previous home was the only one of 4 we have owned in Wheaton with the 60188 zip and that was assigned 10 years after the home and area was built. The unincorporated parts of Wheaton are not nearly as big as your "unincorporated parts" of Naperville and our previous subdivision is 1.2 miles from the center of Downtown WHEATON. The tax benefits to being unincorporated are Huge, which is why no one has an interest in annexing to Wheaton or any other near by town. It doesn't mean we don't live in, school in, and consider our town to be, Wheaton. We all do, because that's what our deeds say! The postal link to Carol Stream is just that, a post office that was assigned to process mail for the northern parts of "unincorporated Wheaton". Thanks for allowing me to explain this, yet again, so no other posters have the wrong impression you attempt to paint. The 60188 zip is no big deal, believe me, except when misinformed folk, such as yourself, try to make it one. As for thinking I am bitter or have hate, I would appreciate a response to my arguements to that, as well as explaining why you reply to no one's negetive posts except mine, with the assumption that it is because I am "bitter" or "hate" Naperville? Still waiting for a decent response, as opposed to another attempt to "insult" our community choice. Personally, I could care less agout your choice to live in and love Naperville. The OP pointed out an article in Money Mag. and I gave my OPINION on why I, like MANY, think it was OVER RATED!!!

Old 07-20-2008, 05:50 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
I think I can speak for many when I say,no posters really care where you live or about your Carol Stream address. This is getting to be a broken record. Is it really worth all your time posting all this ad nauseum about your sensitivity to your not living in CS but WHEATONWHEATONWHEATON and yes we allllll know you think N'ville is over rated. Now go out and enjoy your Sunday in Wheaton and have a great one.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Yeah it is sort of people that avoid Wicker Park or Lincoln Park to shun those "brands", but choose to live in Uptown or Pilsen when indeed they would really fit in best in the Wicker Park of today (but of course not the Wicker Park of 10-15 years ago or 5 for that matter.
Is this aimed at me? I live in Uptown because it was the best place I could find for the price. I'd gladly take my condo and place it in Wicker Park or Lincoln Park if I could. But we're in Buena Park quite close to East Lakeview, so we're not really slumming it at all.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:20 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Is this aimed at me?...
It is not aimed at you at all.
I was thinking about adding a disclaimer so you would not think that was the case.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 07-20-2008 at 12:48 PM..

Old 07-20-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
It is not aimed at you at all.
I was thinking about adding a disclaimer so you would not think that was the case.
Believe me, I didn't move to Uptown because of any hipness factor. I'd rather live near the trixies and chads in the LP than a homeless Viet Nam Vet who talks to his imaginary friends.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:43 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times
Default naperville vs. wheaton

FMV,

Naperville is better than Wheaton in my opinion and that of most posters.

I actually prefer Glen Ellyn over both.

You may prefer Wheaton over Glen Ellyn.

Irregardless, I still have your back on the real estate forum when dealing with renters who think they are experts on investment real estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs