Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 07:35 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,186,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardocobos View Post
I thought with an Obama Presidency we were past that as a nation.
So did I, but then we had to hear Bobby Rush and company screaming about how we had to seat Burris as a senator, otherwise we were racists. Only problem with this theory, IT WASN'T A RACIAL ISSUE!!!!!

Sorry for screaming, but when you spend your life in Illinois, watching the political situation and have to drive home on roads that have more holes then asphalt...

Old 01-16-2009, 08:06 PM

167 posts, read 396,527 times
I am rooting for Evergreen Park and Oak Lawn to be one of the few and the proud. I've been there a few times in the last four and a half years. Both are great, both are improving with time, and both have minorities to some degree. Someone mentioned that the northeast portion of Oak Lawn is deteriorating. When did that start to happen? Beverly (from hearsay) has a growing black population. I don't about Hispanics. Morgan Park is more black from my knowledge. I know Morgan Park High School is heavily black. I think the next suburb to jump ship and give up would be Blue Island. I know about the town's supposed improvments. However, I continue to think that the Blue Island's location near heavily minority, crime ridden areas will bring it down. Someone mentioned Blue Island as "a slightly cleaned version of Harvey."

Old 01-16-2009, 08:12 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
So did I, but then we had to hear Bobby Rush and company screaming about how we had to seat Burris as a senator, otherwise we were racists. Only problem with this theory, IT WASN'T A RACIAL ISSUE!!!!!

Sorry for screaming, but when you spend your life in Illinois, watching the political situation and have to drive home on roads that have more holes then asphalt...
I think I am going to demand that the CTA and the USPS hire more whites in the city. I swear to god 80% of the CTA workers are (mainly) black or hispanic and probably 90% of the USPS in Chicago are (mainly) black or hispanic.

I wonder why nobody mentions this.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:34 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,185,335 times
WHOA. I graduated from EP in 2002 and don't feel all that much removed from high school. I didn't look up the number, but I think I remember reading the school was about 85% white. I definitely can't tell any differences just from being around there when I visit my parents, although the changes are probably occurring more with people that have kids in school too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Well, Evergreen Park High School is less then 60% white now. Interestingly, there is a pretty substantial Hispanic minority in EP.

Interactive Illinois Report Card

Just to the north, Ashburn, which saw white flight a decade ago, is still a pretty nice community in many respects. However, there are regular gang shootings, robberies and other violent crime there now. This really isn't a racial issue anymore, but a class issue. I know that many of the middle class black families that moved in a decade ago want out now, because of the rapidly escalating gang activity. It's the classic pattern, whites fled more quickly then homes could be sold, so prices dropped. Low income families, some of whom had gang ties moved in, and rising crime and foreclosures became a self fulfilling prophecy.

I think people are finally starting to realize that there is no place to go, if you flee, you just leave a path of destruction behind you. I have several relatives in EP, and I remember as a kid all the way back in the 80's, when it was all white, there were conversations about the future of the village. In the 90's, there was a lot of talk about moving amongst my family. Today, I have two aunts who have no intention of leaving, and one who just moved back into town from Homer Glen. Hopefully EP will remain one the very few integrated communities in Chicagoland.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:35 AM

274 posts, read 709,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
This has already been happening for the past 5-10 years but good choice still.

I think of Oak Forest as Lansing. The only difference is that OF has no big box stores and a mall.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:48 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,191,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I think I am going to demand that the CTA and the USPS hire more whites in the city. I swear to god 80% of the CTA workers are (mainly) black or hispanic and probably 90% of the USPS in Chicago are (mainly) black or hispanic.

I wonder why nobody mentions this.
Research what it means to be an oppressed minority. I worked basic steel in the Midwest and could instruct you about job discrimination.

How come there are no blacks on the Blackhawks? I wonder why nobody mentions this.

With all these theories about what makes white flight, I think Oak Park, Evanston and Skokie defy the formulae. Community attitudes mean a lot.

Last edited by Manigault; 01-17-2009 at 08:56 AM..

Old 01-17-2009, 09:26 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,079,417 times
No, Beverly starting integrating 30-35 years ago. Many people in the early 70's are quoted as saying that it would be all black within a few years. If you look at the recent bapa housing stats a significant majority of new homebuyers are white. There is definitely no white flight there now (this does not mean that some white people haven't left, just that they are being replaced by other white people with a different attitude). Who knows what will happen in the future, but it seems unlikely to me given that it survived during a period when racial attitudes were very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Beverly has only have become diverse as of recently (last 10 years or so.) It is still uncertain what will happen to all of those areas. If those areas "fall" so to speak Oak Lawn will not be far behind (20 years or so.)

Old 01-17-2009, 09:29 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,186,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Research what it means to be an oppressed minority. I worked basic steel in the Midwest and could instruct you about job discrimination.

How come there are no blacks on the Blackhawks? I wonder why nobody mentions this.

With all these theories about what makes white flight, I think Oak Park, Evanston and Skokie defy the formulae. Community attitudes mean a lot.
In Skokie, the largest minority group there today by far are Asians.

As for Evanston and Oak Park, they are officially diverse and integrated. However, within the community there is still quite a bit of segregation.

The Chicago Reporter Evanston and Oak Park: Communities Still Wrestle with Integration

If you scroll down towards the bottom of the following article, you'll see that the supposedly liberal and enlightened white residents of these towns are disproportionately sending their kids to private schools.

The Chicago Reporter A Tale of Two Towns: Evanston, Oak Park Struggle to Keep Racial Balance

Per the 2007 U.S. Census estimates, the black population has remained steady in Oak Park, but has actually decreased slightly in Evanston. These two communities are quite successfully integrated for Chicagoland, but it is still a continuous struggle to achieve true integration.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:30 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
interesting
when whites move out its white flight
when they move in its gentrification

Old 01-17-2009, 10:00 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
...How come there are no blacks on the Blackhawks? I wonder why nobody mentions this...
Uhhh yeah there is.

Chicago Blackhawks - Team: Dustin Byfuglien Official Player Page (http://blackhawks.nhl.com/team/app?page=PlayerDetail&playerId=8470834&service=pag e - broken link)

Nice try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs