Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 01:45 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Don't you have someone in her early twenties living in your house in low-crime Olympia Fields?

Or is that somehow different because she lives with you? How so? Where would she be living if she wasn't with you?

How are your neighbors supposed to know that she doesn't keep company with some unsavory characters?

That was not what I meant. I was saying it's a low crime area. As far as crimes such as burglary, it normally happens to people who associate with less than savory characters. Age has nothing to do with it. It's a rare occurance for it just to happen out of the blue out here.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:09 PM

Although some of the different areas discussed such as the middle class NWI towns can be described as alternatives to homewood, flossmoor, olympia fields, matteson, etc. I would stop very short of calling them better options. Particularly if you happen to like or prefer the location of say flossmoor better. Those areas in NWI saw big development much later down the line for good reason. They are much further out from where most people in the far south region of chicago want to be. For example the 90 minute bus ride from dyer to downtown chicago. Most folks living in flossmoor can't even fathem a 90 minute one way commute to downtown, let alone on an uncomfortable bus. And by the way, the closest train station to dyer happens to be the matteson metra station.

Not saying that these towns don't have some benefits. But, the trade offs can't just be overlooked. With gas prices as high as they are now and the economy as soft as it is. I just don't think most people take moving further out away from there jobs, social activities, and transportation as lightly as they once did. I think looking at recent home sales data between the two areas completely bears this out. Especially when you factor in the differences in demographics between the two areas.

Last edited by allen2323; 03-05-2011 at 02:44 PM..

Old 03-05-2011, 02:56 PM

17,373 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Although some of the different areas discussed such as the middle class NWI towns can be described as alternatives to homewood, flossmoor, olympia fields, matteson, etc. I would stop very short of calling them better options. Particularly if you happen to like or prefer the location of say flossmoor better. Those areas in NWI saw big development much later down the line for good reason. They are much further out from where most people in the far south region of chicago want to be. For example the 90 minute bus ride from dyer to downtown chicago. Most folks living in flossmoor can't even fathem a 90 minute one way commute to downtown, let alone on an uncomfortable bus. And by the way, the closest train station to dyer happens to be the matteson metra station.

Not saying that these towns don't have some benefits. But, the trade offs can't just be overlooked. With gas prices as high as they are now and the economy as soft as it is. I just don't think most people take moving further out away from there jobs, social activities, and transportation as lightly as they once did. I think looking at recent home sales data between the two areas completely bears this out. Especially when you factor in the differences in demographics between the two areas.
It's good that the poster who resurrected this thread, who was told that NWI might be a better option for her requirements, doesn't have a husband who needs to commute to Chgo. He'll be working in Homewood.

As for recent home sales, January for example, here's some interesting info on the areas you mention: Homewood, Flossmoor, Olympia Fields, Dyer, Schererville & Munster. The three towns in Illinois had the lowest amount of total sales (18 - Olympia Fields had zero sales in Jan.) and Indiana had the highest amount (28). Out of all six towns, Homewood had the lowest median sales price ($138K) and Schererville had the highest ($198K).

Old 03-05-2011, 03:02 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Northwest Indiana said, "If affordable housing or forced integration is the only way to attract diversity, it will create issues."

I watched the housing bubble build and bust. I watched previously affordable housing be grossly overpriced and then watched as it was sold to a first time buyer as 100% no-down ARM. Most of them lost those houses. I watched it in my own 'hood. It was sad the way the young ones were lied to and then forced out of their first home.

My idea of affordable housing is simple. If the monthly payment is more than 1/4 of my total net income I won't buy it. I never thought I would live to see the day that 'affordable housing' is a dirty code word for unwanted and unacceptable. It looks to me like Chicago racism is not only alive and well, it hit a new low. I will venture a guess that real estate being what it is today, if realtors steer clients away from HF, it has already been redlined.
When I was speaking of affordable homes, I was talking about programs specifically designed to make areas more affordable to create a racially diverse area. That is what I meant! I was not talking about homes that are naturally affordable for people at different income levels. And really, do you honestly think I am racist? Mind you, the definition of racism is when people believe their RACE is superior to another. So if I really was racist, then it would be impossible to be racist against other Blacks..seeing as in I AM BLACK...I do not place myself to be better than someone else because of my race. That is absurd and I have never even suggested that. Maybe others on here are racist for assuming that an area is not attractive if no African-Americans live there? But I do not personally believe that because people have different preferences. If people choose to live where other African-Americans do, that is fine. If people choose to live where other Whites live, that is fine. My family? We chose where the good schools were. While I do value diversity, I value it when it comes naturally or when I can experience it by exploring other cultures and getting to know people. Simply moving to an area with other people like me will just make a place less diverse ESPECIALLY if people do not even talk with their neighbors.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:07 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,551 times
Quote:

As far as the commute goes, I do not think of the bus as an option for personal reasons. But I can drive downtown much faster from Munster or north Dyer (where the bus stop is) than from Flossmoor. I have done each drive many times. Munster to Chicago is much faster driving than Flossmoor to Chicago. Yes, Flossmoor does have the advantage of the train station. And like I have said before, we probably would have lived in the area if it were not for the schools at the time. That is one of the only factors (aside from taxes) that really determined our ultimate decision. What can I say, my parents just really really value education over housing stock, diversity, etc. (not to say that those who live in Flossmoor don't).

Old 03-05-2011, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,703 times
I live in Homewood.....hmm, think I'll look into Hinsdale or Oak Brook.

It has gone down hill here terribly. I had neighbors who put a nice addition and garage onto their home, it was marked with graffiti within a week of being completed. Grafitti marks the schools, the skatepark, real nice. Gang bangers walk the neighborhoods. My son's friends have been driveby robbed at gunpoint. There have been gunpoint robberies right in my little "quiet" neighborhood. And now we get red light cameras so the village can rob us too if we go too far over the line at the stoplight.

On top of that, the property taxes have just gone through the roof while our properties are worth less than what I bought for 10 years ago. OH, wait until you see your water bill. That's a real eye opener! Flossmoor is not as high as Homewood I believe. In all, I'd suggest a nice town over the Indiana border as well, Munster, if you really need to live south of Chicago.

On the positive side, there's a train station and access to most any highway is within minutes. The schools used to be good, now... they're only "good" because they've dropped their standards. However, having said that, my son still has friends at HF and wants to graduate from there with them. We'll stay until that happens...then I'm out.

My mother lives "across Dixie Hwy" in Flossmoor. There is vandalism on a regular basis in her neighborhood and it has been that way for years, especially to cars in driveways and on streets. Actually, that happens quite regularly around here too. Between the 2 towns, I'd pick Homewood but I think they're interchangeable.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by whatdoIknowanyway; 03-05-2011 at 03:28 PM..

Old 03-05-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
It's good that the poster who resurrected this thread, who was told that NWI might be a better option for her requirements, doesn't have a husband who needs to commute to Chgo. He'll be working in Homewood.

As for recent home sales, January for example, here's some interesting info on the areas you mention: Homewood, Flossmoor, Olympia Fields, Dyer, Schererville & Munster. The three towns in Illinois had the lowest amount of total sales (18 - Olympia Fields had zero sales in Jan.) and Indiana had the highest amount (28). Out of all six towns, Homewood had the lowest median sales price ($138K) and Schererville had the highest ($198K).
Let's not distort the numbers here. I mentioned those towns as a few examples and wasn't refering to the number of sales. I'm not a realtor and that doesn't matter at all to me. Schereville for example almost has the same population of homewood, flossmoor, and olympia fields combined. Looking at any considerable measurable time period, flossmoor and Olympia Fields clearly has the highest property values. Quarterly data is not a good measurement of property value and monthly sales data is even worse. Quarterly sales data greatly fluctuates from quarter to quarter. Sometimes as much as 100 percent. But, average home sales prices for the 4th quarter of last year which is the most recent completed quarter was just under 250k in flossmoor. Recent census data shows home values in comparable form much more accurately. Given the difference in demographics between the two areas, which many including yourself have argued is clearly much better in middle class NWI towns. You would expect to see a large gap in price if many of the towns mentioned in NWI were so much more desirable locations to live. That just isn't being reflected at all. And also given the fact that property taxes are so much lower out there, that also has to be taken into account. And prices are still not any higher.

According to the census median property values for flossmoor in 2009 were $268,700. Olympia Fields $291,700. Homewood $188,200. Matteson $199,800. Dyer $197,400. Schererville $193,600. Munster $197,300.

Last edited by allen2323; 03-05-2011 at 03:59 PM..

Old 03-05-2011, 03:46 PM

17,373 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Quote:
Let's not distort the numbers here. I mentioned those towns as a few examples and wasn't refering to the number of sales. I'm not a realtor and that doesn't matter at all to me. Schereville for example almost has the same population of homewood, flossmoor, and olympia fields combined. Looking at any considerable measurable time period, flossmoor and Olympia Fields clearly has the highest property values. Quarterly data is not a good measurement of property value and monthly sales data is even worse. Quarterly sales data greatly fluctuates from quarter to quarter. Sometimes as much as 100 percent. But, average home sales prices for the 4th quarter of last year which is the most recent completed quarter was just under 250k in flossmoor. Recent census data shows home values in comparable form much more accurately. Given the difference in demographics between the two areas, which many including yourself have argued is clearly much better in middle class NWI towns. You would expect to see a large gap in price if many of the towns mentioned in NWI were so much more desirable locations to live. That just isn't being reflected at all. And also given the fact that property taxes are so much lower out there, that also has to be taken into account. And prices are still not any higher.

According to the census median property values for flossmoor in 2009 were $268,700. Olympia Fields $291,700. Homewood $188,200. Matteson 199,800 Dyer $197,400. Schererville $193,600. Munster $197,300.
No distorting nor cherry picking facts ... just the most recent simple sales figures from those six towns. I didn't tweak or leave out important information as some do - just a simple data grab from the last month. No more, no less.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:11 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
Back in the day Spring sales started to pick up in early May and started to fall off around the first week in August. If OF is the upscale area everyone claims, no sales would not be a surprise; I would expect it. .

Old 03-05-2011, 04:17 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
Hey! I don't care if you are purple. That is not what you said, but your explanation makes perfect sense, and it is one in which I can agree. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
When I was speaking of affordable homes, I was talking about programs specifically designed to make areas more affordable to create a racially diverse area. That is what I meant! I was not talking about homes that are naturally affordable for people at different income levels. And really, do you honestly think I am racist? Mind you, the definition of racism is when people believe their RACE is superior to another. So if I really was racist, then it would be impossible to be racist against other Blacks..seeing as in I AM BLACK...I do not place myself to be better than someone else because of my race. That is absurd and I have never even suggested that. Maybe others on here are racist for assuming that an area is not attractive if no African-Americans live there? But I do not personally believe that because people have different preferences. If people choose to live where other African-Americans do, that is fine. If people choose to live where other Whites live, that is fine. My family? We chose where the good schools were. While I do value diversity, I value it when it comes naturally or when I can experience it by exploring other cultures and getting to know people. Simply moving to an area with other people like me will just make a place less diverse ESPECIALLY if people do not even talk with their neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs