Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 03:58 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opkl View Post
FAKE deechee GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, this is actually me. The fake one has a period at the end. (deechee.) I don't know where they got the idea to do that? And the fake one is a junior member, not senior.
I joined CD in June!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
No, you can get demographic information on the student bodies of Illinois schools on the ISBE website. You can contact the school in question and ask how many expulsions they've had. And of course you can check ISAT scores, which will give you some insight on these things, since they directly correlate to performance.
I didn't know that. Is this a part of the Freedom of Information Act, or is that just how it's done?

Last edited by deechee; 07-07-2009 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: spelling errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 04:48 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee. View Post
Naperville schools shouldn't be that bad.
I hear they're top notch. I just don't identify with the town that much. Pretty, nice, but not my style. I like something with at least a little edge and some wierdos around. I actually like some ethnic diversity also, just not too much ghettoness.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:14 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Naperville schools are good. Naperville is unique in the US because its one of the few cities over 100,000 that have a crime rate that low. And its median income is high for a city of its size. It has a little ethnic diversity when it comes to Asians.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:36 PM

274 posts, read 709,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
No, this is actually me the fake one. has a period at the end. (deechee.) I don't know where they got the idea to do that? And the fake one is a junior member, not senior. I joined CD in June
sorry deechee.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:04 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,508,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I notice in majority white suburban towns that have a noticeable minority population, the schools rarely reflect the community. Now look at Flossmoor and Homewood. Homewood is 73% white and Flossmoor is 61% white, but all(excpet one) of Flossmoor schools are over 60% black. H-F High school was over 60% white in 2000, mysteriously its 35%(and steady shrinking) white according to 2008. Is this another form of white flight in schools or is it culturally white households have less kids? Or is it a combination of both?
The majority of young white families do not think of moving to H/F when looking to settle, for older folks and empty nesters it's a different story. Sorry to burst H/F lover's bubbles, but it's the truth. Plainfield, Bolingbrook, Lockport, New Lenox are the hip towns now, or at least that seems to be the mindset which would explain the amount of young families that have flocked to those areas jamming them up real good now. There are only so many young white folks to go around who are pumping out kids (I believe their terms is "breeders" which they even seem to be shrinking in numbers more and more everyday, but that's for a different thread), so that said, if white "breeders" who are pumping out far fewer kids than African Americans as a whole are flocking to the far SW burbs as well as Oswego and Aurora instead of Homewood or Floosmoor, then who is left to fill the void over in H/F? Oh ya, old folks and African Americans who can pick up a BEAUTIFUL fully finished brick home at a fraction of what a new construction sided home with little or no landscaping will go for out in Plainfield and live there and will typically have more kids overall than white folks. Now you see what happened over in H/F?

There's a reason those little ticky tacky houses in Plainfield and pals go for so much... It's the place to be, therefore raising prices.

Last edited by NYrules; 07-08-2009 at 10:16 AM..

Old 07-08-2009, 10:27 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,947,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gioobag View Post
The reason schools like New Trier & Loyola have higher scoring students is not because of the schools themselves, but because the kids that attend have higher IQs gifted to them genetically by their parents, who also have high IQs, and that's why the parents work, have good incomes, and live on the North Shore in the first place.
While genetic inheritance is a factor, cultural inheritance matters as well. Parents who instill a strong work ethic, a value of education, and an aspiration for advancement will have better success with their kids than parents who do not impart these values on their offspring.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:51 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opkl View Post
sorry deechee.
'Tis okay I sometimes get confused...lol. Would believe the troll has spread the nonsense around so fast? I wish I was a MOD so I could terminate them. It's ridiculous. I have stopped using the red font, but still, they have posted something in red font! Idiot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
The majority of young white families do not think of moving to H/F when looking to settle, for older folks and empty nesters it's a different story. Sorry to burst H/F lover's bubbles, but it's the truth. Plainfield, Bolingbrook, Lockport, New Lenox are the hip towns now, or at least that seems to be the mindset which would explain the amount of young families that have flocked to those areas jamming them up real good now. There are only so many young white folks to go around who are pumping out kids (I believe their terms is "breeders" which they even seem to be shrinking in numbers more and more everyday, but that's for a different thread), so that said, if white "breeders" who are pumping out far fewer kids than African Americans as a whole are flocking to the far SW burbs as well as Oswego and Aurora instead of Homewood or Floosmoor, then who is left to fill the void over in H/F? Oh ya, old folks and African Americans who can pick up a BEAUTIFUL fully finished brick home at a fraction of what a new construction sided home with little or no landscaping will go for out in Plainfield and live there and will typically have more kids overall than white folks. Now you see what happened over in H/F?

There's a reason those little ticky tacky houses in Plainfield and pals go for so much... It's the place to be, therefore raising prices.
So the future of H/F may look like a lot of older African Americans, huh? LOL I guess soon I'd better be saving up to move there </sarcasm>

Yeah, but seriously, I cannot see the older people who already live in Flossmoor giving up their homes for Oswego and Plainfield. Omg, I would hate to have to live in Plainfield. It's way out in the middle of nowhere, and they have more of a tornado threat...

Quote:
At1Withnature: you of all people should understand Nature at work when it comes to schools and test scores, etc.

The reason schools like New Trier & Loyola have higher scoring students is not because of the schools themselves, but because the kids that attend have higher IQs gifted to them genetically by their parents, who also have high IQs, and that's why the parents work, have good incomes, and live on the North Shore in the first place.

One could take the kids of college professors and study them in the very same way, they will outscore others too. Put your kids into good schools for the peer group, not necessarily the 3R's etc. which can be taught anywhere where there are no major disruptions.
Sometimes, I really, really question why you contribute to threads. You offend mass amounts of people for no reason. You're basically saying that these little yuppies who turn into mothers and fathers have these magically high IQs move and create mass amounts of genius little babies, but only in one area of Chicagoland. I guess I never could have made it living in an all black part of Chicago. Oh wait, I did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
While genetic inheritance is a factor, cultural inheritance matters as well. Parents who instill a strong work ethic, a value of education, and an aspiration for advancement will have better success with their kids than parents who do not impart these values on their offspring.
I wish I had an icon for shaking my head.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:52 AM

Your point isn't inconsistent with the OP, so I doubt his bubble is burst. The question is why white families would prefer plainjanefield to flossmoor. The OP's hypothesis is that racial demographics are part of it, particularly vis-a-vis the high school. There are other reasons too I'm sure. The appearance of the town certainly isn't one of them. Never thought I'd see the day when plainfield was considered more desirable than flossmoor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post

Old 07-08-2009, 10:58 AM

It's easier to rationalize South Shore because of the crime reputation. H-F has always been pretty peaceful, so it brings raw race more front and center.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:13 AM

that's actually not a bad point. Avoiding blacks is expensive.

Quote:
You'd think it'd be a blessing to be black, because once they take over HF, one could buy an awesome house for a fraction of the price it was previously. Same thing with the huge South Shore brownstones on standard city lots, etc. No cramped lifestyle for the family like others have to deal with.

One problem is that they rarely get any appreciation though, as compared to other non-black areas.

Still, if I was black and could pick up a nice 5 bd. house on a tree-lined street in the next 10-15 years for a low price, not have to share the neighborhood/schools with any other ethnic group, I'd be really happy about. How could they not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs