Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 09:21 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdz View Post
Again, this is "Chicagoland" so anywhere around the area is allowed. And pandabear, you've obviously not been to the right restaurants.
Cool. I then nominate ZaZa Trattoria in St. Charles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 12:01 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
I'm not a big italian food guy, but Vivere in the Italian Village has never disappointed. Great decor and feel inside, fantastic food, and all things considered, pretty affordable.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:20 PM

For mainstream, Maggiano's is wonderful too.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:03 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Cool. I then nominate ZaZa Trattoria in St. Charles.
Rumor has it Za Za's days are numbered due to the "revitalization" of the 1st Street corridor... is it still there?

Old 07-10-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Rumor has it Za Za's days are numbered due to the "revitalization" of the 1st Street corridor... is it still there?
Still there as we speak. I was unaware of that rumor. I cant imagine it would be torn down, its done well all these years, even with Francesca's By The River only a block or 2 down.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:06 PM

Yeh well, there are a number of places that have "done well all these years" that got their eviction papers from the city, such as the Manor restaurant and Vi's Last Call. Blue Goose is being booted too. Apparently they already have a new location lined up. Manor moved to Randall Road in South Elgin. It's just not the same.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Yeh well, there are a number of places that have "done well all these years" that got their eviction papers from the city, such as the Manor restaurant and Vi's Last Call. Blue Goose is being booted too. Apparently they already have a new location lined up. Manor moved to Randall Road in South Elgin. It's just not the same.
I didnt know the Manor was evicted, I just thought they were on to bigger and better things. Blue Goose has always done well, even in the face of stiff comp from Jewel and Meijer and Dominicks. Where are they moving to?

Old 07-10-2007, 03:55 PM

Don't know yet where the Goose is moving to. And yeah, the Manor building is slated for demolition. They just moved out ahead of schedule. They were supposed to move into the building right across Main Street from The Filling Station, where Scotland Yard is now, but there was a dispute between the Manor owners and the building owners, and last I heard they were in the process of suing each other.

Unfortunately, the city had already done a lot of damage to the Manor's business model when the Main Street bridge was rebuilt. The Manor used to have a pub and pizza joint on the ground floor down at river level. Ever notice on the river-side of that building that there's a stairway connected to nowhere? Well, it used to have an entry way to the street. But when the city rebuilt the Main Street bridge, they refused to include the entry way from the street to the downstairs lounge. So the Manor basically had to shut down half its business.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:25 PM

148 posts, read 765,757 times
Hands down, two of the best Italian restaurants in Chicago:

La Scarola – 721 W Grand Ave
and
Rose Angelis - 1314 W Wrightwood Ave

Both have delicious Italian food at fair prices.

They are the classic tiny, packed, patrons out of a Scorsese movie kind of place, located in cozy Chicago neighborhoods.

Websites:
La Scarola Italian Restaurant Chicago
Welcome to RoseAngelis

Old 07-10-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Don't know yet where the Goose is moving to. And yeah, the Manor building is slated for demolition. They just moved out ahead of schedule. They were supposed to move into the building right across Main Street from The Filling Station, where Scotland Yard is now, but there was a dispute between the Manor owners and the building owners, and last I heard they were in the process of suing each other.

Unfortunately, the city had already done a lot of damage to the Manor's business model when the Main Street bridge was rebuilt. The Manor used to have a pub and pizza joint on the ground floor down at river level. Ever notice on the river-side of that building that there's a stairway connected to nowhere? Well, it used to have an entry way to the street. But when the city rebuilt the Main Street bridge, they refused to include the entry way from the street to the downstairs lounge. So the Manor basically had to shut down half its business.
Thats jacked up. I liked the Manor. Never did notice the staircase though... Ill have to look for that sometime. What are they going to do with that big empty spot? St. Charles is becoming just a hangout for college kids anymore. I do like Miguel's though, great tacos! I havent been to the Steel Beam Theatre either, I hear its pretty good. Other than that, downtown is basically trendy bars. Give me Geneva anyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago