Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 07:37 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,215,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yeah and? LA has a lot of amenities too, but life there is much different. Same with the other midwest cities. Day to day life is just a different animal in Chicago. BTW not posting towards you, I'm in agreement. Somewhere like Cleveland or Milwaukee just doesn't have the appeal. I mean if you have family in Cleveland or Milwaukee, that could change things but...otherwise Cleveland just doesn't attract the same people.
Yes, that's what I was getting at. It doesn't have to be though. At one time you could live a similar urban lifestyle in Cleveland or other Midwest cities. Unfortunately all those cities lost that aspect, so you have Chicago left as the only true urban player in the Midwest. I think those other cities will eventually get back to that, however I don't think that it's likely in my lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
I am sure that is true. I am curious what you think they are though so I can check them out when I am in Cleveland.
West Side Market - Chicago does not have an answer to that
Rock Hall of Fame - No cool music museums in Chicago
Art Museum - Not better, but pretty comparible. It's undergoing an expansion project right now though, so some of it might be closed off.
Great Lakes Brewery - Much cooler than Chicago's breweries.
Little Italy - Better than Chicago's
Deli's - Cleveland has some real good delis and random corner stores that serve up great corn beef and rubens.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:25 PM

415 posts, read 560,826 times
It's quite possible that Toronto, in the not too distant future, could catch up to Chicago, and replace it as the third-largest city in North America (fourth, if you include Mexico). Just last summer, I noticed a lot more construction in Toronto, particularly large residential projects (high-rise condos, etc.), than I did in Chicago.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:34 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,577,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingstonBob View Post
It's quite possible that Toronto, in the not too distant future, could catch up to Chicago, and replace it as the third-largest city in North America (fourth, if you include Mexico). Just last summer, I noticed a lot more construction in Toronto, particularly large residential projects (high-rise condos, etc.), than I did in Chicago.
Chicago's urbanized area is still 50% larger than Toronto's. That being said, the city of Toronto could easily catch up to Chicago in the near future.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:29 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,323,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I'm sure that Cleveland has plenty of things to offer that I have not experienced. That being said, are you really comparing a metropolitan area of 2.2 million to one of over 9 million? It's interesting that many people view Midwestern cities as basically all the same.
Only demonstrating that a metro area of 2 million can have nearly as much to offer -- in terms of quality and variety, if not quantity -- as a metro area of 9 million can, even if the urban dynamics of the smaller metro are quite a bit different. And, when you factor in cost of living, the smaller metro could even turn out to be a better deal (how much it costs vs. how much you get).

Of course, in the end, it all boils down to a matter of personal preference and what's most important to you.

Some Clevelanders are fond of saying things like "Cleveland is a lot like Chicago, only on a smaller scale." While some might find that notion utterly preposterous, and maybe it is on some levels, there are indeed certain aspects in which it is true.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:37 PM

98 posts, read 97,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Yes, that's what I was getting at. It doesn't have to be though. At one time you could live a similar urban lifestyle in Cleveland or other Midwest cities. Unfortunately all those cities lost that aspect, so you have Chicago left as the only true urban player in the Midwest. I think those other cities will eventually get back to that, however I don't think that it's likely in my lifetime.

West Side Market - Chicago does not have an answer to that
Rock Hall of Fame - No cool music museums in Chicago
Art Museum - Not better, but pretty comparible. It's undergoing an expansion project right now though, so some of it might be closed off.
Great Lakes Brewery - Much cooler than Chicago's breweries.
Little Italy - Better than Chicago's
Deli's - Cleveland has some real good delis and random corner stores that serve up great corn beef and rubens.
Having just spent a considerable amount of time in Cleveland for work, the topography of the area in general and the following in particular: the Metropark System (especially the Rocky River Reservation section of it from Lakewood towards the airport) The Cuyahoga National Park...

I agree the delis were good as well; especially the Jewish corned-beef joints...seems like the further east you go the better the cornded beef gets!

Old 02-23-2011, 09:15 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,577,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Only demonstrating that a metro area of 2 million can have nearly as much to offer -- in terms of quality and variety, if not quantity -- as a metro area of 9 million can, even if the urban dynamics of the smaller metro are quite a bit different. And, when you factor in cost of living, the smaller metro could even turn out to be a better deal (how much it costs vs. how much you get).
Well, I don't see Cleveland offering anywhere near as much as Chicago does. If all you are looking for are a couple of museums and delis then I guess the two are comparable. If you want anything more than that then they aren't.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:43 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,269,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingstonBob View Post
I think Canada has also gone through a process of merging adjoining towns to eliminate and streamline the costs of municipal government?
Comparing Toronto to Chicago and arguing they are similar makes more sense than comparing Chicago to Cleveland.
Toronto is a beautiful city.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:04 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Well, I don't see Cleveland offering anywhere near as much as Chicago does. If all you are looking for are a couple of museums and delis then I guess the two are comparable. If you want anything more than that then they aren't.
Such as what? What did you do in the last seven days that you couldn't have done in Cleveland? Maybe I'm out of line and you did lots, but I'm curious to hear!

Old 02-23-2011, 04:17 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,340,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Such as what? What did you do in the last seven days that you couldn't have done in Cleveland? Maybe I'm out of line and you did lots, but I'm curious to hear!
The question is not directed towards me, but I will chime in.

Two things I have done is drank an Old Style in a bar and eaten at Superdawg. The latter can't be done in Cleveland and the former probably can't be, and if it can, it will be hard to find.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:07 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,830,075 times
One of the 200,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago