Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 10:16 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_OH View Post
I know that if my job required a 30% increase in hours, and took away promised future pay, I would be pretty pissed.
Anyone would be. That's the thing. And if you had the power to protest it, you sure as hell would. Anyone who says they wouldn't is lying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 10:19 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
I don't think merit pay is even an issue in this case. As to the issue generally, and being difficult to implement... the alternative then is the status quo where great teachers are undervalued while the mediocre ones are overvalued. With an upside-down incentive system like that, guess which type we're more likely to have a shortage of...

Old 09-10-2012, 10:45 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_OH View Post
What's Mayor Twinkletoes going to do now?

He reneged on the teachers contract, depriving them of promised wage increases, and then increased their hours by 30%.

I know that if my job required a 30% increase in hours, and took away promised future pay, I would be pretty pissed.
What if you were in reality overpaid for the hours you had to work?

Old 09-10-2012, 10:50 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The problem with merit pay in teaching is that it is almost impossible to implement. Tying teacher pay to test scores is NOT the best way to determine merit.

In countries like Finland where the emphasis is OFF testing, the kids actually outdo ours on all of the international tests.

Note too, that a teacher who has the lowest scoring group, but manages to get them making progress (sometimes a good teacher can get kids to make 2 years of progress in one, but the kids may still be below their grade level), that teacher should be rewarded, but s/he won't be because the kids still test poorly.

These plans just don't work. Our kids are not widgets. We must deal with too many factors. In manufacturing, if your raw materials are poor, you get to send them back. Teachers, especially in the public schools cannot do this.

Educational Leadership:The Effective Educator:Merit Pay Misfires
Ahhh the comparison to education in a Nordic country.....where the population is very heterogeneous and there is a long-standing culture by families to support education.

Edited because I missed your other post referencing a proposal for assessing merit. Do union-based teachers commonly support a method like that? Maybe it is just filtered news but what I see most often is that teachers unions seem to oppose all merit based systems. They want seniority to control almost everything.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:53 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
What if you were in reality overpaid for the hours you had to work?
Then you wouldn't be a Chicago teacher, that's for sure. If that were the case, they wouldn't have trouble keeping good people there for more than a few years before they move on to more functional systems with more engaged children where they are sometimes even paid more.

It's worth noting that none of the people who think being a CPS teacher is a cush gig are lining up to become one.

Last edited by ChiNaan; 09-10-2012 at 11:02 AM..

Old 09-10-2012, 11:52 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
It's worth noting that none of the people who think being a CPS teacher is a cush gig are lining up to become one.
No kidding.

Chicago Teacher: This Is Why I'm Striking - Business Insider

Old 09-10-2012, 12:11 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,063,241 times
All I will say is this. CPS has some of the highest paid teachers in the country and on average are paid more than any other of the top 10 largest school districts in the nation. Their average salary is about 75k, plus benefits, pensions, lots of vacation time etc. That's 40-50% higher than the average American worker makes and over 3x the per-capita income of 20K a year for the city of Chicago itself.

I don't want to belittle what teachers do, or what CPS teachers have to deal with, but they are very well compensated both comparatively to other cities/states and make way more money than most people in this city. The fact that they are on strike and demanding more (on the public dime) is really pretty pathetic.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:13 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
It seems that both sides are close on compensation but there are a host of other issues that need to be resolved.

The state has made severe cuts over the last few years in social and family services, at the same time CPS has made cuts in support staff like counselling and nurses (leaving teachers responsible for things like monitoring diabetic students). This has made working in the toughest CPS schools even harder.

CPS has also instituted a number of changes without thinking through the full impacts. While air conditioning may not seem like a major issue, it is when you look at the fact that CPS is expanding their Track E schools every year, sending about a third of CPS student back to school on August 13th. Many schools have bars on windows so window AC units can't be installed, and in many classrooms the windows can't even be opened. My daughter's school has a number of rooms that turn into ovens when it gets above 85 - not just uncomfortable, but completely unbearable and dangerous. Last March during the heat wave they couldn't even turn off the heat since the ancient boiler system takes a couple of days to get going.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:23 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
all i can say is, this is another thing that makes chicago look bad.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:29 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
All I will say is this. CPS has some of the highest paid teachers in the country and on average are paid more than any other of the top 10 largest school districts in the nation. Their average salary is about 75k, plus benefits, pensions, lots of vacation time etc. That's 40-50% higher than the average American worker makes and over 3x the per-capita income of 20K a year for the city of Chicago itself.
Comparing teacher salaries to national and local salaries is a false equivalency. For starters all teachers have to have at least a bachelor's degree, and many have multiple bachelor's and master's degrees. The salaries are more in line with all national averages when you look at the qualifications needed.

Even more importantly you need to look at the regional job market to see the wage competition. As of 2009 Chicago teacher salaries were 71st in the state for high school teachers and 37th in the state for elementary school teachers. Most of the school districts that pay more are in the immediate Chicago area, so if CPS wants to attract qualified candidates they need to be paying wages in the range that they are currently paying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago