Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 07:46 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
"While you're right about the small likelihood of being able to quickly draw it and extricate yourself, you would be able to do it in time if you saw thugs marching towards you on the train, robbing people along the way. Or a crowd of violent youths beating up people while coming your way on the street."

I have lived in Chicago for 15 years and never saw anything like this.

Again, I am not necessarily against it. I just think the mechanics are in question.

And if you are going to be "prepared to draw" every time you pass a "shady looking person" in this city, your hand is going to be perptually on the gun.
Nah, but if someone is walking by and sees something going down..They could finish the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I don't feel safe unless I have three nine millimeters strapped on me. You never know when a citizens on patrol situation might arise, or you might be in a position to stop the next terrorist attack on the red white and blue. Every night in my living room I will practice different rolling/firing manuevers should the need to protect myself, my city and my country arise.
I'd like to be able to open my window and tell those sketchy looking characters that are outside my window making noise to beat it without having to worry if I offend them in some way.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:57 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
Actually, it doesn't prove your point. It means that the only way to lower the number of illegal guns is banning all guns, which is still possible, despite the number of pro gun people that would vote against it. Saying its too late is defeatist.
Umm..The 2nd Amedment of The US Constitution does ( and would) get in the way of 'banning all guns' .. and there's lots of regulations around firearms, even in 'Red States' ( e.g. ..signs posted in the entrances to taverns in Texas declaring that entry into the establishment with a handgun is a felony..) For those in Illinois waiting anxiously for the announcement of when and where to apply for a permit , I wouldn't hold the breath ... I smell an appeal coming ..or a rewrite that's designed to provoke another challenge

It's part of the dance the NRA plays with court challenges .. they're very careful how they pick and choose which court battles they wage .. they know that some of these might end up in front of the US Supreme Court , and they want to control that ..just in case some regulatory boundaries they're opposed to get upheld there ... They'll happily hang around the state courts and lower federal courts as long as it takes ..

Old 12-12-2012, 08:00 PM

Looks like Illinois was the last holdout, and the current tide of gun regulation has not been in the gun control lobby favor.

That supreme court decision in DC opened the floodgates.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Nah, but if someone is walking by and sees something going down..They could finish the situation.
Unless you come across someone being mugged or being beaten up by a gang, you are really not going to know what's going on, are you?

How many vicious gang beatings have you stumbled across in your life?

If there are two guys fist fighting and you pull out your Glock to keep the peace, people are going to, rightly, think you are a psychopath.

The vast majority of violent crime in Chicago takes place in concentrated areas and the vast majority of that is gang related.

Chances are you will walk around with that sidearm for the rest of your life without ever having occasion to use it.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Chances are you will walk around with that sidearm for the rest of your life without ever having occasion to use it.
That would be the best thing that could happen. I'd be happy plinking off targets at IGW off Harlem and call it a day.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:28 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
You saw that movie, too, huh? That wasn't real life.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:47 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,785,894 times
Quote:
They'll still get them. Either by smuggling them or stealing them.

I know, right. It might look like Amsterdam, with some of the lowest drug abuse rates in the world.
Criminals will have a lot fewer avenues for getting guns, which will greatly reduce the numbers over all, even with smuggling and theft attempts. A huge percentage come from sales by legal gun owners that live close by... With the illegal guns being confiscated on a consistent basis, criminals will have a much harder time replenishing their supply.

No, it won't look like Amsterdam at all, because hard drugs such as Heroin, Cocaine etc... are illegal there.

Last edited by chitownperson; 12-12-2012 at 09:10 PM..

Old 12-12-2012, 08:59 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,785,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Imagine the astronomical amount of taxes collected on drug revenue. Washington is looking at hundreds of millions per year just off pot. People aren't going to start doing hard drugs just because they are legal. The irony is that Big Pharma kills more people with their drugs than all illegal drugs combined. You need to wake up, pal.
Oh really? What happened when alcohol was legalised? I think you are the one that needs a wake up call. The fact is things like Heroin have been gaining in popularity in recent years with young people, and the stigma that was once attached to Heroin has been disappearing for some time. It is not the "junkie drug" that it once was, but is quickly becoming one of the drugs of choice for casual users due to its accesability and low cost. It's become quite the problem in and around Chicago, and I'm not just talking about inner city youths, but kids in affluent far reaching suburbs too. So you'll excuse me if I don't take your opinion as fact.

"Big Pharma kills more people" because it's legal and easier to get pharmaceuticals in comparison... So it's not really ironic. Legalise hard drugs and watch the user base sky rocket.

So you'd be willing to trade the ruined lives of new addicts and their families for extra tax dollars?

Last edited by chitownperson; 12-12-2012 at 09:11 PM..

Old 12-13-2012, 12:26 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Just think how much money they could save shutting down the DEA. (Which only manage to spend a lot of money and not show much results)
Amen to that. Homeland Security is another plum target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago